• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

comeback after injury

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bulos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich,

I really enjoyed your post to TPIN about your comeback after injury, I was through a similiar thing. After years of too much top lip pressure when I got into my mid or late 30's (the age Mel Broiles says it usually happens!) I started having all kinds of problems, mainly because playing had become painful. I didn't know about Reinhardt in those days, and my big mistake was going to Roy Stevens instead of going back to Carmine who I had been with some 7 or 8 years before all this happened. Well the Costello thing that Roy taught just turned me around even more and I was to the point of starting at the begining again after 30 years of playing. I agree Rich that it is adversity such as we both encountered that makes us grow.

Best Regards,

Paul
My Web site:
http://www.paulayickvintagebrass.com/
Please sign my guestbook while you
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, I'm mostly replying because I hate seeing a topic that has 0 replies to it. It just looks kinda lonesome, y'know what I mean?

But I'm really glad that I've been through all that I've been through, because I have built my chops from the ground up, and rebuilt them four separate times, now.

I don't envy the guys who never knew how they developed their remarkable chops, because if they ever lose them, very few of them know how to rebuild them.

And that reminds me of something I was talking to Chris LaBarbera (Hairy James) about: do you realize the number of guys who went to see Reinhardt that dozens of other teachers had completely given up on? Do you realize how tough some of the cases were that went to see Reinhardt when nobody else could help them? And do you realize Doc's high success rate with crippled players who everyone else had deemed hopeless?

To me, that is one of the main things that people don't realize about the man. He accepted students that nobody else would touch. So many teachers won't even accept a student who isn't already good, but Doc seemed to specialize in (and maybe even prefer) the last-gasp, "beyond hope" variety of student.

How many other "great" teachers can claim that?

Rich
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: