• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Did Bill Adam ever write a book

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Still Trying
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, guys,

I must confess I had never heard of Bill Adam until I started reading posts on TH. Mr. Adam sounds like an outstanding teacher. I'm especially interested in the descriptions of the tone quality he was able lead students into through his instructions. Did Mr. Adam commit any of his knowledge to the written word, or is this forum the single best source of information about his teaching? I hate to come in this late and ask you fellows to just fill me in on everything that happened up to now. But I'll be delighted to buy his book, if he wrote one. Thanks ahead of time for your responses.

What do we have that we did not receive, and if we received it, why do we glory, as if we received it not?
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Adam never wrote a book. He felt that trumpet playing could only be taught by playing trumpet. Listening and imitating is the natural way. Verbal description and written text, while sometimes necessary, can actually be a distraction from the natural process of learning to play music.

I always got the impression that to a certain extent Mr. Adam felt that there were too many books and methods out there and, to a degree, they contributed to many of the problems he saw in aspiring players. There were too many people thinking and talking about how to play the trumpet and not enough people getting into a practice room and firing that thing up.

I think that there is a lot of good information contained in the threads here on TH. In addition to this forum I highly recommend the Trumpet Discussion board on the Selmer/Bach website.

<http://www.selmer.com/trumpet/discus/index.html>

Dr. Karl Sievers is the moderator. He is a long-time Adam student and a very articulate writer. He is currently on the faculty at the University of Oklahoma and principal trumpet in the Oklahoma Symphony. This is a great board!

Mark VanCleave is also an Adam student who has an Adam forum on his Trumpet Player Online site. There hasn't been much activity there yet, but Mark is definitely another source of solid insights into this approach.

<http://www.trumpetplayeronline.com/bbs/index.php>

While he didn't write a book, Mr. Adam worked with John Harbaugh (another long-time student) to produce a very interesting series of videos where he talks about playing and his teaching. This is the closest thing there is to getting it from the horse's mouth...unless you want to fly out here to Indiana while he is still teaching.

<http://www.roth-music.com/Bill-Adam/AdamVideo.html>

There are also a couple of other things you might learn from on the Bill Adam Tribute website that David Roth posted.

<http://www.roth-music.com/Bill-Adam/articles/ClinicAddress.html>

<http://www.roth-music.com/Bill-Adam/readings/>

The best thing you can do is get some lessons with Mr. Adam or one of his best students. It is all about the sound and hearing is the best teacher.

p.s. Your signature is one of my favorite scriptures. Every time I read one of your posts I get a humility check. Thanks!

[ This Message was edited by: PH on 2002-08-28 17:51 ]
Still Trying
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Forum Moderator,

Thank you for this very detailed and helpful reply. I had no idea Mr. Adam was still teaching. I saw the post title in which he was being wished a happy 85th birthday. I don't know about the practicality of taking lessons in Indiana. Does he have any student/teachers that you know of in the Houston, TX area?

Thanks for your comment on my signature. I suspect that most readers of the TH did not recognize that quote as coming from the Bible. I think about the meaning of that verse all the time with respect to all facets of my life. I never decided to play trumpet, for example. That decision was made for me, when my Dad brought home an old used Conn trumpet, when I was 6 years old. Then he sat me down on a dresser bench and said, "Come here, Son, I want to show you how to count music and finger notes on a trumpet". Even though the decision was made for me, what a blessing it has been. There are many other examples. A lot of times as human beings, we forget we aren't self made men, even with all the work we put into something.

What do we have that we did not receive, and if we received it, why do we glory, as if we received it not?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Bill Adam All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: