• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

monotone student

View previous topic :: View next topic  
derekph

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a student who for whatever reason doesn't seem to be able to change pitch when she sings. She can accurately recognize change in pitch when I sing, but changing her pitch when she sings is impossible (well, nothing's IMpossible, but). Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone out there has had this same problem and might have solved it so that you could give me some suggestions. It gets a bit fustrating in the lesson room sometimes. I know there's a way. I won't accept that some people can sing and some can't.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-09-24 15:10 ]
derekph

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually was using syllables. I had her sing "ee" for high and "oh" to go low, but she just stays monotone when she says these syllables. To many people it's second nature to be able to sing, but for some it's hard. Whistling is out of the question.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-09-24 15:11 ]
pair of kings
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

she may not be used to singing. She may hear the pitches and not be able to find them with her voice. try getting her to sing sound effect type stuff - sirens or fireworks, whatever you can think to rise and fall in pitch over wide range to kind of get extremes of going high and low. she could be a liitle shy about it and not really be trying if she already thinks it's something she can't do. I just make it a practice to sing everything through the first time especially the very young ones. Not serious singing - just to get the melody line. And I make them sing along with me - if they are off pitch I don't mention it - and the more you do it over a period of time they will start to find their voice.
hope that isn't too stupid
Erin C
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Dave, I have to do this even though I know it's petty... but I'm a singer... and the movement of the tongue does not have anything to do with the change in pitch when you sing. Whistling, absolutely, but singing it's all about changing the vocal cords and keeping your mouth as still as is possible for you to do while singing words.

The *last* thing I want to do is start a fight over this but I couldn't let it go... I'm a soprano and a trumpet player (interesting combination... lol) what did you expect?

Does your student talk in a monotone as well? And does she sing the same pitch each lesson, like the monotone is always an F, or is is sometimes a G or E or something? And if she were to sing you a pop tune from the radio like the Backtreet Boys or something of her choice, would it be a monotone as well or would she get the melody then? It might be something to do with nerves in the lesson The piano idea is good with trying to match the pitch, and also see if she can do a siren or scoop from as low as she can make her voice to as high as she can make her voice, and vice versa, and work from there.

Erin -iii<
derekph

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Erin for your suggestions and advice. I've been doing the scooping thing and demonstrating the siren for her, but she can't duplicate it, nor can she join me in the fun. I'll have to check whether she's singing one particular note or whether it's just a favorite of her's for that minute or so. She kind of does speak monotone and I do think much of it has to do with nerves. A couple lessons ago she came in with sunglasses and a hat on. I'm hoping that she begins to feel a bit more comfortable the more lessons we have; her being nervous is tough on both of us. Not that I don't understand. I was that nervous person at one point in my life as well. We'll see.
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-09-24 15:11 ]
Erin C
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-08-26 03:39, Quadruple C wrote:
Hi Erin, You are talking about an efficient approach to singing. Try to sing anything without moving the tongue. The sound is with the vocal chords as well as how they are used to influence pitch. It is actually both the tongue and the vocal chords that do it together, so I could have been more clear by saying this in my post, but the point of my post was to focus on syllables and the movement of the tongue while singing as being very influential in helping the monotone. When you vocalize they teach syllables because this helps to coordinate the vocal chords with the tongue, they both work together to create the desired sound and of course the oral and nasal cavity and use of air influence the quality of the sound as well. David

Ok, thanks for clearing that up! I agree with you, I didn't really think about the tongue being part of the change in pitch in that way before heehee

Erin -iii<
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin,

Dilemas dilemas. What would you/do you choose to do on "Let the Bright Seraphim"? Do you sing the soprano part or play the trumpet part?

Just curious.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Erin C
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-08-26 13:23, trickg wrote:
Erin,

Dilemas dilemas. What would you/do you choose to do on "Let the Bright Seraphim"? Do you sing the soprano part or play the trumpet part?

Just curious.

I actually don't know that piece... is that a bad thing? Will people throw things at me for not knowing? I hope not...

Erin -iii<
Strawdoggy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the student can hear it, but just can't do it yet.

I think what Quad C is trying to get at is the use of VOWELS, not syllables. That could help get her going in the right direction.

The tongue itself has little to do with pitch vocally. Sing any vowel and wiggle your tongue any which way - it will only change the tone, but not the pitch. Going from Aaa to Eee might help. As trumpet players, we automatically go up in pitch when we sing those two vowels as our tongue lifts. A "monotone" probably won't at first.

I run across students like this sometimes as well. I would be interested in seeing what others have to say.

Steve
Strawdoggy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quad,

I still don't follow you. I understand the problem to be that the student can hear the pitches, but cannot change them vocally. To have them sing a one octave scale probably isn't going to happen if they can't even go from do to re (or to anything else for that matter). In all the voice lessons I've taken, my teachers never mentioned using the tongue to change pitch. It is only used for diction. They all advised me to "keep it out of the way" to avoid blocking projection. Of course, if the tongue is not used at all, the student won't be able to sing anything with lyrics. But the problem mentioned here is that the student can't change pitch, and sings everything (including text) in a monotone.

The more I think about this subject, the more I think this is a matter of comfort/nerves that will work itself out. Even people who are tone deaf can change pitch, albeit "off".

My two cents worth.

Steve
Strawdoggy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, after looking at my last post, I would assume that the student is a TRUMPET PLAYER (?) and that the teacher is giving trumpet lessons and having her sing pitches on La or Da or whatever. However, I still hold to the statement that the tongue level is not what will get her to change pitch vocally.

In fact, I just did a little experiment changing lip formation going from AY - AH - OOH and the pitch doesn't change -just the tone and vowell.

My younger son of 13 is looking at me funny. I think I better sign off now.

Steve
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-09-24 15:12 ]
pair of kings
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: pair of kings on 2002-08-30 10:53 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: