• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Historical Trumpet Rosters for Major Symphony Orchestras

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received messages about the Vienna Philharmonic this morning that are very insightful. The first note is from Beate at the ONB who has gone above and beyond to try and answer my questions. Please read this letter, and if you happen to know one of the members or former members of the Wiener Philharmoniker trumpet section, it would be great to know if the first two players listed in the program are always the Principal players (neither the ONB or the Wiener Philharmoniker Arkives can answer this question for me).

If this is the case, in the example of Hans Gansch, he would be a section player from 1986 to 1993, and then Principal trumpet from 1993 to 1996. This differs from the bio information that I found which says he was Principal trumpet from 1982-1996. Could it be that he was a member of the Orchestra of the Wiener Staatsoper beginning in 1982 and then promoted to the Wiener Philharmoniker in 1986 and finally promoted to Principal trumpet from 1993 to 1996?

This is by far the most difficult ensemble that I have worked on so far and any assistance from someone more knowledgeable than me (orchestral player in Vienna), would be great!

Help please!

Quote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Beate Neunteufel-Zechner [mailto:beate.neunteufel-zechner@onb.ac.at]
Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2005 7:50 AM
To: 'Reaban, Derek'
Subject: AW: Wiener Philharmoniker Blaetter

Dear Mr. Reaban,

Your questions leed to deep into this matter to be answered consequently and completely. It would be best if you can manage to come and see yourself. We are not allowed and not able to do research work of more than 20 minutes per letter (we are a national library which means that our catalogues cannot open sources to their full deepness - and we have so many people from all around the world asking per day).

Concerning the programmes of the Wiener Philharmoniker I must tell you that a part of them is in a cellar where I do not go every day (it is to far away from our bureaus). Programmes standing next to my room start with 1946. From 1946 to 1951 the programmes do not show lists of active members = Aktive Mitglieder. There are a lot of articles with titles like "Die Violinen" or "Die Oboen" or "Dirigenten und Solisten" - perhaps there are informations on individual members in this articles....

The first list of "Die Wiener Philharmoniker - Aktive Mitglieder" I could find today is dated from 11.11.1951 - here you can find the following item:

Trompeten
Levora Josef
Albrecht Hans
Wobisch Helmut
Dengler Franz
Rossbach Paul
Gawanda Karl

There is no special mentioning of principal trumpet players or any other instruments in such lists - as I remember the orchestra gave itself the title of a "democracy of kings" once - perhaps this title might help you understanding that everyone out of such lists could take the leading part at any time it is necessary. How their contracts show in which position they are I do not know. The lists name 4 to 7 players and can even change during one concert-period or year.

As far as Helmut Wobisch is concerned the last mentioning of his name is to be found in a programm for the 5th and 6th of february 1978 :

Trompeten
Adolf Holler
Walter Singer
Josef Pomberger
Helmut Wobisch
Josef Hell

Now information to Hans Gansch: His first appearance in a concert-programm dates from 13th of May 1986 :

Trompeten
Walter Singer
Josef Pomberger
Hans Gansch
Josef Hell
Adolf Holler
Hans Peter Schuh

This list does not change before the 27th of July 1988 :

Trompeten
Walter Singer
Josef Pomberger
Hans Gansch
Josef Hell
Adolf Holler
Hans Peter Schuh
Reinhold Ambros

With the 30th of September 1990 it changes to:

Trompeten
Walter Singer
Josef Pomberger
Hans Gansch
Adolf Holler
Hans Peter Schuh
Reinhold Ambros

With the 19th of September 1993 it changes to:

Trompeten
Josef Pomberger
Hans Gansch
Hans Peter Schuh
Adolf Holler
Walter Singer
Reinhold Ambros

With the 13th of November 1994 it changes to:

Trompeten
Josef Pomberger
Hans Gansch
Hans Peter Schuh
Walter Singer
Reinhold Ambros

With the 2nd of November 1996 it changes to:

Trompeten
Josef Pomberger
Hans Peter Schuh
Walter Singer
Reinhold Ambros

To your next question: Between 1974 and 1986 where you show 3 players in the Principal Position, was one of the players perhaps shown as Assistant or Associate Principal? I don't know if this information is listed, but it would be very helpful if it is available. - There are not titles only names as you can see above, the position of names can change during the years but it does not show who is first second or last, I would ask Dr. Kargl if there exists a collection of the players contracts in the archive of the Wiener Philharmoniker.

Now to your last question of today:
At the bottom of the list, it appears that Adalbert Maschek held the position from 1842 - 1860. Is this correct?
I cannot proove this information as the programm of 1842 is a facsimile and I found it reprinted in an article of the Wiener Philharmoniker Blaetter. That he still was in the first position of such lists as shown above was at least until 1860 - but could have been for some more years as well. How many more I do not know - our programm collection does not show more lists before 1893.

With best greetings

Beate Neunteufel-Zechner

Here is the message that I received from Dr. Kargl at the Historisches Archiv der Wiener Philharmoniker:

Quote:

From: Archiv der Wiener Philharmoniker [mailto:philarchiv@aon.at]
Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2005 1:32 AM
Subject: AW: Dates for Wendt and Holler (Trumpets)

Dear Mr. Reaban,

Indeed Wilhelm Wendt and Adolf Holler were members of the trumpet section of our orchestra. I could find their dates:

Wilhelm Wendt: born Nov. 15th 1880, member of the orchestra since March 1st 1912, retired Sep. 1st 1934, died May 1st 1968.

Adolf Holler: born July 17th 1929, member of the Orchestra of the Wiener Staatsoper 1. 1. 1956, Wiener Philharmoniker March 1st 1960, retired Sep. 1st 1994.

With kind regards

Silvia Kargl

Dr. Silvia Kargl
Historisches Archiv der Wiener Philharmoniker

Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bumped into this information on principal players for Teatro alla Scala, so I thought I would include it so I don’t misplace it. I’ve sent a message to the email address on their web site, but haven’t heard back from them yet.

Former principal players include Stuart Laughton and Andrea Guiffredi (who I see just joined this site).

L'Orchestra del Teatro alla Scala
Principal Trumpet Players

Start-End________Name

19??-Current_______Giuseppe Bodanza
19??-Current_______Francesco Tamiati
19??-19??_________Andrea Guiffredi
19??-19??_________Stuart Laughton
19??-19??_________???

Web Site: L'Orchestra del Teatro alla Scala Trumpet Players

Current Roster for the 2004-2005 Season:
Giuseppe Bodanza – Principal
Francesco Tamiati – Principal
Sandro Malatesta
Mauro Edantippe
Gianni Dallaturca

References:
Andrea Guiffredi reference
Stuart Laughton reference
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received the March 2005 ITG Journal and have been reading the great interview with David Zauder (Cleveland Orchestra). What an amazing life he has lived! He was principal trumpet with the Boston Pops under Arthur Fiedler for two seasons.

Boston Pops Orchestra

Start-End______Name

1997-Current_______Thomas Rolfs
1987-1997_________Timothy Morrison
1983-1987_________Charles Daval
1960-1983_________Andre Come
1960-1960_________Stephen Chenette
1957-1960_________???
1956-1957_________David Zauder
1885-1956_________???

Web Site: Boston Pops Orchestra Trumpet Section

Current roster for the 2004-2005 Season:
Thomas Rolfs – Principal
Benjamin Wright
Peter Chapman

References:
Timothy Morrison reference.
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears that this message was lost during the site restore yesterday. With this message from the Hallé Orchestra, this ensemble is now complete. I will open the final folder for this group soon.

Quote:

From: Stuart Robinson [mailto:stuart.robinson@halle.co.uk]
Sent: Thursday, April 07, 2005 3:49 AM
To: Reaban, Derek
Subject: RE: Principal Trumpets - Hallé Orchestra - Manchester, England

Dear Derek, Thank you for double checking - I made a big mistake! I missed out almost thirty years and don't know how I did it! I'm sorry. I've therefore amended the list below. With regard to the change over of players. Your are correct in assuming that the changes occurred at the end of one season and the beginning of the next. (As you say the season ended in those early days around the end of March beginning again in October. The players then dispersing for the summer to the seaside and spar towns around the country for the summer seasons) With regard to the 1940/41 seasons. Actually Harry Mortimer's last concert was the 22nd December 1940 and then he went off to the war! Arthur Lockwood, who was already in the section, took over the chair for the next concert on 12th January 1941.With regard to the 1986/7 season. John Dickinson played at the start of that season, which began in September. John MacMurray's first 'official' concert in the top chair being 2nd November 1986. I'm not sure however when John MacMurray actually started. I'll have a word with him to see if he remembers! Again my sincere apologies for the error. Yours sincerely Stuart.

Sent: 29 March 2005 17:15
To: Stuart Robinson
Subject: RE: Principal Trumpets - Hallé Orchestra - Manchester, England

Stuart,

Thank you so much for your assistance in completing this list for my project! I am curious about several of the end dates and start dates. Typically, the orchestral season is from October to April (May) especially in the early years of an ensemble. I'm wondering if the end date for Mr. Elwood of 1896 and the start date of 1897 for J. Valk means that there was a change of the principal chair mid-season (i.e. Mr. Elwood through Dec. 1896 with J. Valk assuming the duties of principal in Jan. 1897). This would be the same between 1940 and 1941 and 1986 and 1987. Did the new players begin their tenure in January of these years? It's not a problem if you don't have this level of detail, but I'm just curious.

Thanks again for your help with my project!

Derek Reaban
Tempe, Arizona

From: Stuart Robinson [mailto:stuart.robinson@halle.co.uk]
Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 2:50 AM
To: derek.reaban@honeywell.com
Subject: Principal Trumpets - Hallé Orchestra - Manchester, England

Dear Derek, Firstly, very many sincere apologies for not replying to your original request of February 21st. The reason being that your e-mail did not reach the Archive Department!
However here is my revised list. Please let me know if you wish to recheck with me any of the detail.

1987 to current -----John MacMurray
1969 to 1986---------John Dickinson
1961 to 1969---------Bram Gay
1955 to 1961---------William Lang
1948 to 1955---------Sydney King
1941 to 1948---------Arthur Lockwood
1934 to 1940---------Harry Mortimer
1919 to 1934---------Alex Harris
1918 to 1919---------Alex Harris & J. Holloway
1917 to 1918---------J. Corfield & Mr. James
1901 to 1917---------J Valk
1898 to 1901---------W. Short
1872 to 1898---------Mr. G. Jaeger
1858 to 1872---------Mr. Ellwood

I confirm that our current Trumpet Section is indeed Mr. John MacMurray, (Section Leader), Mr. Kenneth Brown (2nd Trumpet) and Mr. Gareth Small (Assistant Principal Trumpet). They have been together since 1998.

With every good wish, Yours sincerely Stuart Robinson Assistant Archivist.

Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also received a message about the Columbus Symphony Orchestra today. Based on the message from the Ohio Historical Society I think I have what I need so I won't need to spend the $20 on a research fee. I believe this ensemble is now complete (with thanks to Jeff Korak!).

Quote:

Sent: Friday, April 08, 2005 6:55 AM
To: 'Derek Reaban'
Subject: RE: History of Ohio CSO trumpets LJ

Dear Mr. Reaban:
Thank you for contacting the Ohio Historical Society. We will be happy to search for the information you have requested by searching in the collections below.

Title/Object: A history of the first fifteen years of the Columbus Sumphony Orchestra, 1951-1966.
Author: Columbus Symphony Orchestra
Imprint: [Columbus, O., 1966?]
Description: 82p. ports. 28cm.
Shelving: Stacks
Call#/Catalog#: PA Box 474 17

Title/Object: [Performance of the Columbus Symphony Orchestra] [graphic], [ca. 1960].
Description: 1 photoprint : b&w ; 21 x 26 cm.
Summary: Photograph of the orchestra during a performance.
Shelving: Audiovisual-Corral Use Only
Call#/Catalog#: SC 701

Title/Object: Records 1930-1967
Author: Symphony Club of Central Ohio
Description: 1.5 cubic feet
Summary: Organization founded in 1923 to present symphonic music to Columbus. Includes materials relating to history of the organization, concert series, symphony attractions, membership, and scrapbooks. Symphonies represented include Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Minneapolis, and Philadelphia. Contact repository for more information.
Shelving: Stacks-Corral Use Only
Call#/Catalog#: MSS 556

Any information we are able to locate will be forwarded to you through the postal service. We charge a base research fee of $20.00. The fee includes 4 pages of photocopies. If we copy more than 4 pages, each additional page will be 25 cents. We accept checks or money orders made payable to the Ohio Historical Society.

Please be aware that it is our policy that research requests be prepaid. As a result, we ask that you forward a check or money order for the fee. We will not begin processing the request until we have received payment. If your request requires photocopies in excess of 4 pages, we will bill you for the additional cost at the time we send our response. It takes up to thirty days for us to process and respond to a research request.

If you have any additional questions, please let us know.

Sincerely,

Research Services
Ohio Historical Society
1982 Velma Ave
Columbus, OH 43211-2497
ohsref@ohiohistory.org
614-297-2510
Hours Wednesdays and Saturdays 9-5, Thursdays 1-9 pm

Sent: Monday, April 04, 2005 6:52 PM
To: ohsref
Subject: History of Ohio CSO trumpets LJ

I have a question about the history of Ohio.

The following information was submitted by Derek Reaban,
on Monday, 04-Apr-2005 18:41:11 EDT from 199.64.0.252.

====================================================

Information Request:
Subject:Principal Trumpet Players (CSO)
Date Span: Prior to 1951

Additional Description or General Information:
I am hoping that you will be able to assist me with an "online" project related to the Principal Trumpet Players of Major Symphony Orchestras. I
have been gathering information for the last year with player information for over 50 ensembles.

The current list that I have for the Columbus Symphony Orchestra is as follows:

Columbus Symphony Orchestra

Start-End_________Name

1988-Current______James Underwood
2004-2005_________Tom Battenberg (Acting Principal)
2002-2003_________Tom Battenberg (Acting Principal)
1984-1988_________Steven Emery
1981-1984_________Steven Emery (Co-Principal)
1981-1984_________Robert Hightshoe (Co-Principal)
1951-1981_________Robert Hightshoe
19??-1951_________TBD

James Underwood - Principal Trumpet
Jeffrey Korak - 2nd Trumpet
Thomas Battenberg - 3rd / Assistant Principal

I worked with Jeff Korak to compile this list. I have worked with Pavana Baird at the CSO and also C.L. at Genhelp@sloma.state.oh.us. They found the following reference for Robert Hightshoe that may answer this question:

http://seniormusicians.homestead.com/1997.html

It appears that he was the 1st trumpet and charter member of the Columbus Philharmonic, Columbus Little Symphony, and Columbus Symphony. I'm interested to know what date the Columbus Philharmonic had it's first concert? Did the Columbus Philharmonic become the Columbus Symphony? If so, what date did this occur. Was there an organization that predates the Columbus Philharmonic / Columbus Symphony? Would you know who the Principal trumpet was, if this is the case, prior to 1951?

Thank you,

Derek Reaban
Tempe, Arizona

===================================================

Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received a message from Andrea Guiffredi about the trumpet players with Teatro alla Scala. He said he performed as guest Principal Trumpet with the ensemble in 2000 for West Side Story, Giselle, and a symphonic concert. He told me that Francesco Tamiati has been in the principal chair since 2002 and Giuseppe Bodanza has been principal for about 30 years.

I did a Google search on Guiseppe Bodanza and see that he and the rest of the trumpet players from Teatro alla Scala performed at the 2000 Summer Olympics in Sydney. Since Francesco Tamiati wasn’t in the orchestra at that point, Luciano Cadoppi was shown second in the listing (implying that he was the other principal prior to Tamiati).

When I find a contact in the Archives department, I will certainly be able to provide more details for this list, but for now this is what I have.

L'Orchestra del Teatro alla Scala

Start-End________Name

197?-Current_______Giuseppe Bodanza
2002-Current_______Francesco Tamiati
197?-2002_________Luciano Cadoppi
2000-2000_________Andrea Guiffredi (Guest Principal)
19??-19??_________Stuart Laughton
19??-19??_________???

Web Site: L'Orchestra del Teatro alla Scala Trumpet Players

Current Roster for the 2004-2005 Season:
Giuseppe Bodanza – Principal
Francesco Tamiati – Principal
Sandro Malatesta
Mauro Edantippe
Gianni Dallaturca

References:
Andrea Guiffredi reference
Stuart Laughton reference
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received this message from Sabrina Martin at the NYC Opera today. It looks like I’m close to finishing this list when I get a contact point from her. All of the players that I have talked with so far have provided me with names and dates that are mostly complete. I just need to verify the early dates for Theodore Weis and Arthur Stadler.

Quote:

Sent: Tuesday, April 12, 2005 10:41 AM
To: ‘Derek Reaban’
Subject: Re: FW: NYC Opera Orchestra (Principal Trumpet Players)

Dear Mr. Reaban,

I received your message and I am looking into the best person to forward it to. We do not currently have an Archivist, but I will certainly point you in the right direction. You'll be hearing from me shortly.

Sincerely,

Sabrina Martin

Sabrina Martin
New York City Opera
20 Lincoln Center Plaza
New York, NY 10023

New York City Opera Orchestra

Start-End_________Name

2003-Current_______Donald Batchelder
2000-2003_________Donald Batchelder (Acting Principal)
1994-2003_________Philip Ruecktenwald
1976-1994_________Thomas Lisenbee
1968-1976_________Theodore Weis
1964-1968_________Fred Mills
1949-1964_________Theodore Weis
1948-1949_________Armando Ghitalla
1946-1948_________Arthur Stadler

Web Site: New York City Opera

Current Roster for the 2005-2006 Season:
Donald Batchelder - Principal
Thomas Hoyt
Jerry Bryant

References:
Donald Batchelder reference
Tom Lisenbee reference
Fred Mills reference
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received this message from the Boston Symphony today. Making progress on the Boston Pops roster. I’ll update this list when I get a complete list from Barbara.

Quote:

Sent: Wednesday, April 13, 2005 1:21 PM
Subject: Boston Pops Orchestra Principal Trumpet

Dear Derek,

Bridget Carr apologizes for not getting back to you sooner about your
inquiry regarding the Boston Pops Orchestra Principal Trumpet players.
She asked me to respond to your question. It's going to take some time
to figure out who the players were before 1956 as the names of the
orchestra didn't appear in the Pops program books in those days prior to
1956. I will be getting back to you on that, but in the mean time I
have checked on the dates of the principal trumpets from 1956 to the
present. Here goes..........

19 - 1964 Armando Ghitalla
1965 - 1971 Roger Voisin
1972 - 1983 Andre Come
1984 - 1987 Charles Daval
1988 - 1996 Timothy Morrison
1997 - present Thomas Rolfs

I hope this information is helpful to you.

Sincerely,
Barbara Perkel
archives

Bob Parks
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who cares about trumpet players of the past?! Lets look towards the future!!!!

Bob
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

Based on a recent post in the Pedagogy forum I see you hold Michael Sachs in high regard.

I’ll simply quote him from page one of this folder in response to your comment.

One of my favorite topics....It's essential to know where things have been and what these extraordinary people did to evolve our craft before we ourselves move forward....

Michael Sachs
Principal Trumpet – Cleveland Orchestra

Last edited by Derek Reaban on Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
SinfonianTrumpeter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Derek,

first of all, a big thanks to you for doing this! It obviously takes hours to research, compile, and post this information.

I do have a question though...have you "bio'd" the Pittsburgh Symphony yet? I haven't looked through all of your posts yet, but thought it might be easier just to ask you. If you haven't, I would love to see it. I know some of the guys up there and could help if you needed it.

Thanks a lot,
Carl
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carl,

This is one of those "slow and steady" kind of projects. The list for Pittsburgh is complete, but I haven't gotten around to preparing the bios folder yet. Since you're interested, I'll see if I can get to it this weekend. Then if I have questions for some of the players up there, maybe you could relay them for me.

If you haven't figured out how these folders work, this one is just my "working" file to keep all of the details of my correspondance. The best way to get to the details of each COMPLETED ensemble is to use the Table of Contents and simply click on the link of whichever group you want get details for.

Thanks for your interest!
Bob Parks
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Reaban wrote:
Bob,

Based on a recent post in the Pedagogy forum I see you hold Michael Sachs in high regard.

Michael Sachs
Principal Trumpet – Cleveland Orchestra

Yes I do hold him in HIGH regard! I was wrong to make you hurt, but I am really interested in all of the players today that can punish an orchestra with their sound -- in a good way. It seems like the older generations were all about vibrato and our generation's about POWER! I like that, and I don't mean to steal the wind from this project. I'm sorry I can come accross like a TOAD. THanks for bringn the Mike Sachs quote to my attenion!

GOD BLESS!!!

Joshua 15:20

BOB
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be helpful to list the messages that I received on the Boston Pops. I’m close to completing this, but based on some inconsistencies that exist between the BSO archives data and Douglas Yeo’s list in the ITG Journal, I’ve decided to try and sort out those differences with Douglas first before I finalize this list.

Quote:

Sent: Wednesday, April 13, 2005 1:21 PM
Subject: Boston Pops Orchestra Principal Trumpet

Dear Derek,

Bridget Carr apologizes for not getting back to you sooner about your inquiry regarding the Boston Pops Orchestra Principal Trumpet players.

She asked me to respond to your question. It's going to take some time to figure out who the players were before 1956 as the names of the orchestra didn't appear in the Pops program books in those days prior to 1956. I will be getting back to you on that, but in the mean time I have checked on the dates of the principal trumpets from 1956 to the present. Here goes..........

19 - 1964 Armando Ghitalla
1965 - 1971 Roger Voisin
1972 - 1983 Andre Come
1984 - 1987 Charles Daval
1988 - 1996 Timothy Morrison
1997 - present Thomas Rolfs

I hope this information is helpful to you.

Sincerely,
Barbara Perkel
archives

Quote:

"Reaban, Derek" 4/13/2005 4:41:51 PM

Barbara,

Thanks so much for getting back to me! I'm glad that you'll be able to assist me with my request. There's no rush with this, so whenever you can get to it will be fine.

I do have a question for you...

In your list you show the dates for (I believe) the beginning of each season. So Roger Voisin was Principal of the Boston Pops for the 1971 season (ending in 1972) and then Andre Come became Principal at the beginning of the 1972 season. Is this correct?
Or does the Pops Orchestra just perform in the Summer months?

I've done some research myself since I sent in this request and found that Stephen Chenette was principal in 1960 and David Zauder was principal from 1956-1957. The article that I read on David Zauder seems to imply that the Boston Pops was a Summer only ensemble in the 50s and with Stephen Chenette only being with the group in 1960 seems to support that.

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Derek Reaban
Tempe, Arizona

Quote:

Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2005 7:41 AM
Subject: RE: Boston Pops Orchestra Principal Trumpet

Dear Derek,

I can't give you a simple answer to your question, so I have to do a little explaining. The Boston Pops Orchestra has the same personnel as the Boston Symphony Orchestra minus the principal players of each section. The principal players form the Boston Symphony Chamber Players who perform during the year as an ensemble and have the Pops season off in the spring and during the Christmas holiday season. The first season of the Chamber Players was 1964-65. Therefore during the Pops, the assistant principals of each section become the principal players of the Pops. So in the spring of 1965, Roger Voisin had the role of principal trumpet of the Pops and so on to this day.

In the spring of 1960 the BSO went on a tour of Australia and Japan, so the entire personnel of the Boston Pops was different. So, yes, Stephen Chenette was the principal trumpet for that one Pops season in 1960. Where did you read about David Zauder? His name does not appear in the programs in 1956 or 1957, Armando Ghitalla is listed.

I hope this clarifies some questions. I'll be getting back to you.

Barbara

Quote:

"Reaban, Derek" 4/14/2005 11:45:43 AM

Barbara,

Thanks for your message. It's interesting to see how the orchestra is divided to present different music to different audiences several times a season.

With respect to David Zauder, I just received the March 2005 issue of the International Trumpet Guild (ITG) Journal and the first article was entitled, "The Worst of Times...The Best of Times: An Interview with David Zauder" by Frank Kaderabek. David was a long time section player in the Cleveland Orchestra.

http://www.trumpetguild.org/journal/indexes/jrnlindxmar05.htm

Thanks for your help.

Derek

Quote:

Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2005 10:05 AM
To: 'Derek Reaban'
Subject: RE: Boston Pops Orchestra Principal Trumpet

OK, I think I've got this straightened out. Armando Ghitalla was Trumpet Principal of the Pops from 1953 to 1964. Prior to that, I think it is safe to say that the principal trumpet of Pops was the same as the principal of the BSO. As I mentioned to you in my first email, the names of the players did not appear in the Pops programs and unfortunately payroll records prior to that are a bit sketchy. I just thought you might like to know that the Pops began in 1885 and the BSO was founded in 1881.

I've revised your list of the principal trumpet players of the BSO as follows:

Ezra Bagley..............1881-1886
Richard Shuebruk......1886-1887
Edward Lafricain........1887-1893
Pierre Mueller............1893-1900
Louis Kloepfel............1900-1914
Gustav Heim.............1914-1920
Georges Mager..........1920-1950
Roger Voisin..............1950-1965
Armando Ghitalla.......1965-1979
Rolf Smedvig.............1980-1981
Charles Schlueter......1981-present

Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m very close to finishing the list for the Boston Pops Orchestra. Barbara Perkel at the BSO archives has provided me with complete information. Unfortunately, there are some differences in dates for some for some of the principal players with the BSO (and these players were in both ensemble prior to the advent of the Boston Symphony Chamber Players in 1964-65). I’ve contacted Douglas Yeo (he was in Chicago this weekend seeing the Ring Cycle), and he said he would contact me on Monday after he’s had a chance to review his notes for the BSO Trumpet Section article in the 1990 ITG Journal.

Boston Pops Orchestra

Start-End______Name

1997-Current_______Thomas Rolfs
1987-1997_________Timothy Morrison
1983-1987_________Charles Daval
1960-1983_________Andre Come
1965-1972_________Roger Voisin
1961-1965_________Armando Ghitalla
1960-1960_________Stephen Chenette
1957-1960_________Armando Ghitalla
1956-1957_________David Zauder
1953-1956_________Armando Ghitalla
1950-1953_________Roger Voisin
1920-1950_________Georges Mager
1914-1920_________Gustav Heim
1900-1914_________Louis Kloepfel
1893-1900_________Pierre Mueller
1887-1893_________Edward Lafricain
1886-1887_________Richard Shuebruk
1885-1886_________Ezra Bagley

Web Site: Boston Pops Orchestra Trumpet Section

Thomas Rolfs – Principal
Benjamin Wright
Peter Chapman
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve wanted to add some prominent orchestras that haven’t made it onto my list yet for quite some time. Here is a starting point for the Dresden Philharmonic, Czech Philharmonic, and St. Petersburg Philharmonic.

Dresdner Philharmonie

Start-End______Name

2003-Current_______Andreas Jainz
1999-2003_________Christian Höcherl
1980-1999_________TBD
1969-1980_________Ludwig Güttler
1870-1969_________TBD

Web Site: Dresdner Philharmonie Trumpet Section

Andreas Jainz
Csaba Keleman
Prof. Wolfgang Gerloff
Roland Rudolph

References:
Christian Höcherl reference
Ludwig Güttler reference

Czech Philharmonic Orchestra

Start-End______Name

2002-Current_______Jaroslav Halíř
1971-2002_________Christian Höcherl
1896-1971_________TBD

Web Site: Czech Philharmonic Orchestra Trumpet Section

Jaroslav Halíř
Zdenik Šedivý
Miroslav Kejmar st.
Jiří Šedivý
Antonín Pecha

Reference:
Miroslav Kejmar reference

St. Petersburg Philharmonic Orchestra

Start-End______Name

199?-Current_______Igor Sharapov
199?-Current_______Leonid Corkin
197?-198?_________Vladimir Kafelnikov
1974-197?_________Malkov
194?-197?_________Yuri Andreich Bolshoyanov
1947-1974_________Veniamin Sovelievich Margolen
1882-1971_________TBD

St. Petersburg Philharmonic Orchestra Trumpet Section

Honoured artist of Russia Igor Sharapov
Honoured artist of Russia Mikhail Romanov
Oleg Grechnev
Alexei Belyaev

References:
The Legendary Trumpets of St. Petersburg by Leah J. Shuman – ITG Journal December 1996
Igor Sharapov reference

Last edited by Derek Reaban on Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:12 pm; edited 3 times in total
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received a message from Tina Murdock at the Dallas Public Library with input on my question about who was in the principal chair during the 1958-59 and 1959-60 seasons. It was Boyde Hood! I’ll be checking with someone at the DSO today to see what the official word is on Guest Principals and Acting Principal for this season.

Quote:

Sent: Saturday, April 16, 2005 8:57 AM
Subject: RE: Dallas Symphony Principal Trumpet Players

I did manage to look at some programs for the seasons you noted. I checked at least three programs in each season (at the first, middle and end) to be sure there were no changes, and it appears that Boyde Wyatt Hood was the principal trumpet player throughout both seasons.

I also wanted to let you know that a couple more options for further research have become available since you sent your initial request. I'll try to send you a follow-up message with more information on those next week. If, by chance, you haven't heard from me by around Thursday, please feel free to send me a reminder message. I seem to have received a small blitz of DSO research questions in the past couple of weeks, and I don't want to lose track of which have received adequate replies!

I hope this will be helpful.

Tina

Dallas Symphony Orchestra

Start-End______Name

2005-Current_______Audition to be Held ???
2004-2005_________Russell Campbell (Acting Principal)
2004-2005_________Thomas Booth (Acting Principal)
2004-2005_________Ryan Anthony (Guest Principal)
2004-2005_________Andrew McCandless (Guest Principal)
2002-2004_________Andrew McCandless
2001-2002_________Brian Brown (Associate/Acting Principal)
1996-2001_________Jeffrey Curnow
1995-1996_________Jeffrey Curnow (Acting Principal)
1989-1995_________David Bilger (Co-Principal)
1993-2002_________Richard Giangiulio (Co-Principal)
1969-1993_________Richard Giangiulio
1960-1969_________Ronald Modell
1958-1960_________Boyde Hood
1953-1958_________Frank Kaderabek
1951-1953_________Robert Gotthoffer
1950-1951_________Possibly Robert Gotthoffer (No Names Shown in Program)
1948-1950_________Bernard Adelstein
1947-1948_________John Ware (22 Weeks)
193?-194?_________Milton Davidson
1900-193?_________???

Web Site: Dallas Symphony Orchestra Trumpet Players

Christopher Still – Associate Principal
Thomas Booth – Assistant Principal
Kevin Finamore
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m just updating this information for the Dallas Symphony. I heard back from Michael Coren (Personnel Manager for the DSO) and he confirmed the names on the list who have been in the Principal Trumpet position for the 2004-2005 season.

Quote:

Sent: Friday, April 22, 2005 7:33 PM
To: Dallas Symphony Customer Service
Subject: RE: Principal Trumpet Players with the DSO

Yes, that is OK

Sent: Friday, April 22, 2005 2:45 PM

Michael,

Thanks for your message. I have removed Tom Booth from this list.
Just to make sure that I have complete and correct information for the
2004-2005 season, does this look right for the position of Principal
Trumpet:

Thanks very much.

Derek Reaban
Tempe, Arizona

Sent: Thursday, April 21, 2005 9:19 AM

Tom Booth has not been acting principal now or before.

Michael Coren, PM, DSO

Dallas Symphony Orchestra

Start-End______Name

2005-Current_______Audition to be Held ???
2002-2004_________Andrew McCandless
2001-2002_________Brian Brown (Associate/Acting Principal)
1996-2001_________Jeffrey Curnow
1995-1996_________Jeffrey Curnow (Acting Principal)
1989-1995_________David Bilger (Co-Principal)
1993-2002_________Richard Giangiulio (Co-Principal)
1969-1993_________Richard Giangiulio
1960-1969_________Ronald Modell
1958-1960_________Boyde Hood
1953-1958_________Frank Kaderabek
1951-1953_________Robert Gotthoffer
1950-1951_________Possibly Robert Gotthoffer (No Names Shown in Program)
1948-1950_________Bernard Adelstein
1947-1948_________John Ware (22 Weeks)
193?-194?_________Milton Davidson
1900-193?_________???

Web Site: Dallas Symphony Orchestra Trumpet Players

Christopher Still – Associate Principal
Thomas Booth – Assistant Principal
Kevin Finamore
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I contacted Thomas Lisenbee again to get some clarification about the dates for Ted Weis (NYC Opera and Ballet Orchestras). In the first message that I received from him he said

Quote:

Ted was first trumpet of both the NYC Ballet and Opera until 1965 when Lincoln Center opened and the NYC Ballet moved to the NY State Theater. The musicians were no longer able to hold both jobs at this time so Ted Weis resigned from the Opera orchestra and that's when Fred Mills took over the job. Fred was first trumpet until he left in 1969 to go to Canada and the National Arts Orchestra in Ottawa (and then later of course to the Canadian Brass.) The City Opera moved to Lincoln Center too during the time Fred was first trumpeter. When Fred left Ted Weis rejoined the orchestra and was its first trumpet until he suffered a heart attack in 1976 and I took over.

I had assumed that when he said “The musicians were no longer able to hold both jobs at this time [1964] so Ted Weis resigned from the Opera orchestra” this meant that the two orchestras were completely different from that date forward. Apparently, when both companies were at Lincoln Center (after Fred Mills left), it was possible for Ted Weis to be in both the Opera and Ballet orchestra concurrently.

Quote:

Sent: Tuesday, May 10, 2005 3:46 AM
To: ‘Derek Reaban'
Subject: re ted weis

Did he resign from the Ballet Orchestra in 1968? No he never resigned from the Ballet Orchestra, only from the City Opera Orchestra.

Or was he principal trumpet for both orchestras again? Yes from 68 to 76 (when he had his heart attack) he was principal of both orchestras. After the heart attack he played in the section in both orchestra's as a utility player, switching from second to third as needed, until his death, which I think was in 81 or 82.

If he wasn't in the Ballet Orchestra any longer, who would have been principal from 1968-1976 in the NYC Ballet? I think this question is answered above.

Glad to be helpful. Your project is much appreciated.

Peace......tom

These lists are now complete and I will break out the final folders for the NYC Opera and Ballet Orchestras soon.
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received this message from the Missouri Historical Society. This will allow me to complete the Saint Louis Symphony list, but there will still be some holes. I’ve exhausted my resources on this one, so unless someone happens to come across additional information, I will call this one complete and show missing dates along with the sources that I checked.

I will open the final folder on this ensemble soon.

Quote:

Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2005 10:51 AM
Subject: SLSO Principal Trumpet players

Dear Mr. Reaban:
Here, at long last is the information you requested from our Archives some time ago. My apologies for taking entirely too long in responding to your request for the names of the principal trumpet players throughout the history of the Saint Louis Symphony Orchestra. We have recently had a new volunteer sort through our collection of Symphony programs and as she began to organize the collection she took the extra step to write down the names of the trumpet players that you are seeking. Hopefully the list she compiled will fill in most of the gaps that you have in your list. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance. I assure you a more timely response next time!
Dina Young
Associate Archivist
The earliest symphony programs we have do not give the names of individual musicians. The orchestra was known as the St. Louis Choral - Symphony Society in its early years, and the focus was on the "choral" part. The earliest date we found individual musicians listed for was 1897.
Start - End Name
1897 Adolph (sometimes listed as August) Willbrandt; and John Schopp
1902-1903 Some programs list William Leeder and N. Pearson; others for that year list
A.D. Willbrandt and H. Erlinger
1903-1904 No programs found
1907-1908 George Glessner, Nils Pearson, John Schopp
1908-1909 George Glessner, John Schopp
1909-1910 George Glessner, Adolph Willbrant
1910-1911 George Glessner, William Hebs
1911-1912 George Glessner, William Hebs
1912-1913 Trumpets and Cornets: George Glessner, William Hebs, Nils Pearson, Otto Kuettner
1913-1914 Trumpets and Cornets: George Glessner, William Hebs, Otto Kuettner, Nils Pearson
1914-1915 Trumpets and Cornets: George Glessner, William Hebs, Otto Kuettner, Nils Pearson
1915-1916 Trumpets and Cornets: George Glessner, Johann Hartl, Otto Kuettner, Nils Pearson
1916-1917 Trumpets and Cornets: Leland S. Barton, Edward K. Mellon, Otto Kuettner, Nils Pearson
1917-1918 Trumpets and Cornets: George Glessner, Andrew Goodrich, Otto Kuettner, Nils Pearson
1918-1919 No programs found
1920-1921 Trumpets and Cornets: Joseph Gustat, Joe Carlone, Nils Pearson, Otto Kuettner
1921-1922 Trumpets and Cornets: Joseph Gustat, Joseph Carlone, Vincent Dastich, John Hartl
1922-1923 Trumpets and Cornets: Joseph Gustat, Joseph Carlone, Vincent Dastich, John Hartl
1923-1924 Trumpets and Cornets: Joseph Gustat, Joseph Carlone, Vincent Dastich, John Hartl
1931-1932 Joseph Gustat, Joseph Carlone, Carl A. Hugo, John Hartl
1932-1933 Joseph Gustat, Joseph Carlone, John Hartl
1933-1934 No programs found
1934-1935 Joseph Gustat, Joseph Carlone, Frank Miller, John Hartl
1935-1936 Joseph Gustat, Joseph Carlone, Frank Miller, John Hartl
1936-1937 Samuel G. Krauss, Joseph Gustat, Joseph Carlone, Frank Miller, John Hartl
1937-1938 Samuel G. Krauss, Joseph Gustat, Joseph Carlone, Frank Miller, John Hartl
1938-1939 Samuel G. Krauss, Joseph Gustat, Joseph Carlone, Frank Miller, John Hartl
1939-1940 Samuel G. Krauss, Joseph Gustat, Joseph Carlone, Frank Miller, John Hartl
1940-1941 Samuel G. Krauss, Joseph Gustat, Joseph Carlone, Frank Miller, John Hartl
1941-1942 Samuel G. Krauss, Joseph Gustat, Joseph Carlone, Frank Miller, John Hartl

Saint Louis Symphony Orchestra
Trumpet Players

Start-End________Name

1973-Current_______Susan Slaughter
1972-1973_________Susan Slaugher (Acting Co-Principal)
1972-1973_________Roger Blackburn (Acting Co-Principal)
1966-1972_________Chandler Goetting
1961-1966_________Donald Stolz
1946-1961_________Robert Weatherly
1944-1946_________Seymour Rosenfeld
1936-1944_________Samuel G. Krauss
1920-1936_________Joseph Gustat
1919-1920_________David Glickstein
1918-1919_________Thomas Lambaise
1916-1918_________Leland S. Barton
1907-1916_________George Glessner
1905-1907_________No Programs Available
1904-1905_________Gustav Heim
1903-1904_________No Programs Available
1902-1903_________Adolf (August) Willbrandt / William Leeder
1897-1902_________Adolf (August) Willbrandt
1879-1897_________No Programs Available

Web site: Saint Louis Symphony Trumpet Players

Susan Slaughter – Principal Trumpet
Thomas Drake - Assistant Principal
Joshua MacCluer
Gary Smith

Susan Slaughter.......Thomas Drake.........Joshua MacCluer.......Gary Smith

References:
Seymour Rosenfeld Reference: From Page 5 of the May 1989 ITG Journal in the article by Kevin Eisensmith entitled “An Interview with Seymour Rosenfeld on the Occasion of His Retirement from the Philadelphia Orchestra”
Chandler Goetting reference: http://www.yca.org/Pages/alumni.html
David Glickstein reference: http://www.trumpetguild.org/journal/d94/9412Thor.pdf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 17 of 23

Jump to: