• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Prelude To Brass Playing republished

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Rafael Méndez
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:00 am    Post subject: Prelude To Brass Playing republished Reply with quote

Great news for all Mendez fans....

Carl Fischer has reprinted the PRELUDE TO BRASS PLAYING textbook which has been out of print for decades. It costs $12.99 and is softbound.

I understand that ITG is mainly responsible for some efforts to have this reprinted. They have a "Reprints Committee." Also, Mike Sachs (who is now the main trumpet author with Fischer) helped talk the prez of CF into making it all happen.

The reprinted book finally gives credit to the REAL author of the book....Ed Gibney. Ed is retired now, but was an active teacher in Canada when Mendez was touring. They met, and Ed gave Rafael a copy of a book he had written but had no luck in publishing because his name was not well known. Mendez was under contract with CF to write a trumpet text, but he never seemed to be able to find the time. Evidently, Mendez liked Ed's book and they collaborated.

When Prelude was first published (hardbound) back in the 1960s, it did not mention Gibney's name anywhere. This upset Mendez because he had promised Ed that both names would be listed and that they would split the royalties. Even though CF did not follow through as expected, at least Rafael did send Ed his half of the royalties each year.

TH can be thanked is some way for helping get Ed's name on the reprint. There was a thread about the book last summer and I mentioned that Mendez did not actually write the book....he only added a few things. This prompted a discussion which caused me to pull out correspondence I had with Gibney some 10 years ago (now archeived in the Mendez Library). On a chance, I called the phone number for Gibney that was on his old letterhead and he answered! I told him about the upcoming reprint (which he did not know about). The discussion on TH led to Mike Sachs putting me in touch with the prez of CF. After I explained the Gibney connection, he got in touch with Ed and agreed to put his name on the reprint.

This is great. Gibney is happy, ITG is happy, Mendez family members are happy, and I am happy. Yea, TH!!

DH
trptbach

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject: PRELUDE TO BRASS PLAYING Reply with quote

DEAR MR. HICKMAN:

I ENJOY READING YOUR POSTS AND I WAS A STUDENT OF ONE OF YOUR STUDENTS THAT TEACHES IN SAN DIEGO. I NOW TEACH TRUMPET IN MÉXICO.

I AM WONDERING IF THE BOOK PRELUDE TO BRASS PLAYING IS AVAILABLE IN SPANISH, IF NOT HOW CAN I TRANSLATE THE ONE I HAVE INTO SPANISH? DO I HAVE TO GET PERMISSION FROM THE PUBLISHER IF THAT IS THE CASE?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH,

ROBERTO MARTÍNEZ RODRÍGUEZ
trpt.hick

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roberto,

Carl Fischer Company owns the copyright on the PRELUDE book. Copyright law does not allow translations without permission if you publish your translation.

Do you think there is much of a Spanish language market for it?
oj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a guy (Bjarne Volle, composer, trumpeter) here in Norway that did a translation into Norwegian

No publisher over here was interested, so it never got printed.

Ole
RGale
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a copy. Fischer sent an ad for a "teachers pak" of books. You get the new Clarke collection that has about 25 Clarke solos, a Vandercook collection, and some student solo collections, and the Mendez book, all for about $35 with shipping.
The Mendez book alone is worth the price. Great advice on the basics, and how to practice in an intelligent fashion.
trpt.hick

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a good deal, but why doesn't CF make the package with Mendez solos instead of Clarke? Many of the Mendez solos are unavailable and need to be reprinted.

Next year, 2006, is the 100th birthday of Rafael Mendez (1906-1981). I am working on several HUGE celebration events for this. The Mendez biography will also be reprinted by then!!

Dave Hickman

PS. No, this is NOT the so-called "secret project" I am working on.
RGale
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll drink to that!

Hopefully they can put it in next year's 'teacher -pak'. The Clarke solos were mostly in a couple of earlier books, but the new Clarke collection is quite good.

We'll all be waiting eagerly for more Mendez ! And the 'secret project' too!
I have heard from Gerald Webster that there is a lot of unpublished Arban as well. He is having some printed by Hoyt publications in Seattle, I believe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Rafael Méndez All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: