• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Rating Literature for Students

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZeroMan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello All,

There are lots of lists of standard trumpet repertoire on the web. How does one go about rating them in terms of difficulty? A good example are the lists from the old TPIN, rated broadly in terms of difficulty and placed in alphabetical order in their respective categories. But which solos are easier than others within those categories? I'm sure that there is some music which is just a bit beyond my current abilites in the "Easy" category.

To clarify my situation and abilities, I'm a comeback player three months in (off and on for the last year or so), been lurking here for a while, and I'm going without a teacher for now because of finances. I plan on taking lessons and pursuing this thing seriously, but I don't want to wait until then to start playing actual music. At the same time, I don't want to exaggerate any bad habits by tackling material I'm really not ready for.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and feedback.

[ This Message was edited by: ZeroMan on 2002-09-07 12:16 ]

[ This Message was edited by: ZeroMan on 2002-09-07 12:38 ]
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you should start playing music as soon as possible! For starters, check out the info on the ITG web site -- see the Youth Site for a graded list of material and descriptions. Many other suggestions will come, but I think it's a good start:

http://www.trumpetguild.org

You could also pick up some of the "easy" solo and etude books from your local music store, or online.

HTH - Don
ZeroMan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-09-07 15:53, Don Herman wrote:
Yes, you should start playing music as soon as possible! For starters, check out the info on the ITG web site -- see the Youth Site for a graded list of material and descriptions. Many other suggestions will come, but I think it's a good start:

http://www.trumpetguild.org

Don, thanks for the tip and feedback.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: