• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Private Sale Connstellation Value?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
conn53victor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Private Sale Connstellation Value? Reply with quote

A friend quit playing trumpet shortly after his parents bought him a Connstellation in high school. He seems to be about 55 years old, so I am assuming that the horn is an Elkhart 38B in good to very good condition, what is a broad range of values? He will ask right away. I know, a fair price is what he is willing to sell it for and what I am willing to pay, but we need a starting point.

Are eBay prices a fair place to start?

I sold my 1966 high school Connstellation by the time I was 20. Probably bought some good weed or a bad car. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

1963 Connstellation
TptPlayer88
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the prices that Connstellations go for on ebay are a little much in my opinion...It all depends on how great the horn looks. If it's spotless, excellent condition then i would have to guess around $700-800. I almost bought a 28B Connstellation for about $700 in like brand new condition (if you know what i mean). I've seen some pretty beat up horns and this still go for atleast $250-300. The Vintage Connstellations are collectors horns and a lot of people will put up the money for one. I've said this in a few of my other posts, my friend bought the custom 28A Connstellation (Coprion bell, Silver plating and Gold accents ) off ebay around a month and he got it for about $800 and that thing is a beauty.

Hope this helps
Mouthpiece: 3C
Bill Scott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In real good condition, the horn should go for around $600 to $700 dollars. Check the serial number so that you know what year it is. The earlier Connies (pre-about 1961) are worth more as the metal was thicker and the valve guides quieter. Also, be aware that most of the Connies WILL need a valve alignment to really play well. That costs about $140 at the Brass Bow.
There are two sides to a Trumpeter's personality: There is the one that lives only to lay waste to the woodwinds and strings, leaving them lying blue and lifeless along the swath of destruction that is a trumpeter's fury. Then there's the Dark Side"
conn53victor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 7:10 am    Post subject: New Connstellation Reply with quote

My co-worker brought in his 1963 38B Connstellation. It looks in good to very good condition except that the bell is slightly pushed in against the last brace before the end of the bell. It hasn't been anythinged for years so the valves are beyond sluggish, but a good bath will reveal much. Valves look great visually. The two adjustment screws for the first and third slides are present but the two end screws are missing.

The finish looks like a used Connstellation in pretty good shape. The case is in great shape but musty. It was stored under the front steps (not in basement), unmoved for 25 years.

David brought it in as my sixth graders started period one, so haven't had much of a chance to do much more than look.

1963 Connstellation
Bill Scott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say $500 to $600 depending on how bad the bell is. The thing with the bell is that being pushed in, you may not be able to get the tuning slide out. If the brace is being pushed on enough then the sound may have some problems as well.
There are two sides to a Trumpeter's personality: There is the one that lives only to lay waste to the woodwinds and strings, leaving them lying blue and lifeless along the swath of destruction that is a trumpeter's fury. Then there's the Dark Side"
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the bell needs work, I'd give around 300-400 tops, if I fell in love with everything else.
conn53victor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Pictures of the Connstellation. Should I buy it? Reply with quote

Here are Pics:
Wrinkle in Bell

Logo on Bell

Valves

1963 Connstellation
conn53victor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 3:46 am    Post subject: I bought the Connie Reply with quote

He sold me the Connstellation for $250 on the condition that I bought it to play , not re-sell.

1963 Connstellation
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then you got a good deal. How does it play?

As far as the repair goes, prof5 is in Iowa also, no idea geographically how far away you 2 may be, but he does care about vintage stuff, as his work reflects, and might be worth a call. Rich Ita in Atlanta has done some beautiful restoration work and might be worth considering.

Or, if you like the way it plays, just leave it as is. I have a bunch of great players with various character marks I haven't had fixed, as I don't want to mess with the way they play.

Whoever you take it to, if the guy doing the work is under 50 years old, go somewhere else. These young whippersnappers just don't have the proper respect for the chronalogically advanced....
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That wrinkle in the bell is quite easy to fix. Should be able to have it done for $20 (will take a skilled repairman five minutes.) Looks like you got a very good horn for $250. I played a 38B for most of my playing career and loved it, however I did the same stupid thing many others have done- I traded it in on a Bach. Have fun with your classic Conn.
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
old geezer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the picture of the valves brought back memories. I had a conn back in the mid-60's in high school, don't know the model but it was advertised as the light weight - jazz model. it played ok but the intonation was weird to say the least. sold the horn years later to a guy who had a lead player in a marachi band who bought it. old geezer Dave
Yamaha Mike Vax 450573
Yamaha 231 Flugel 15383
Olds Amb. Cornet 50734
nacog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

forgive me for my ignorance on Connstellations but are those valves bottom sprung?
monel6

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
I usually just listen and read this forum, but had to post this.
I was just given (as a present from a band parent) a Conn Constellation that belonged to Maynard Ferguson, in 1962-63. The gentlemen that gave me the horn was a professional photographer and was doing an album cover for Ferguson back then. I didn't know that Mr. Ferguson played Conns but according to the story, this horn was actually given to a H.S. student he was working with (long story you don't want to read), but anyway, this horn was played in H.S. and then put away in the closet until two months ago, and the H.S. student gave it to the photographer who's son was in my M.S. band....anyway, this student felt it should be given to me, and that's the story....I have no reason not to believe him. Anyway, it's in wonderful shape except the plating is checking. I'm going to have it cleaned up and then try it. Thought you guys that like Conn Constellations might enjoy this story. Back to lurking.....
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nacog wrote:
forgive me for my ignorance on Connstellations but are those valves bottom sprung?

Good question, but the spring is inside the metal sleeve above the valve. As the valve buttons are pressed, the spring is compressed inside the sleeve.

Mike
connloyalist
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi old geezer Dave,

That would probably be an 8B Artist. Essentially a (very) lightweight version of the 6B Victor.

Regards, Christine
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

monel6 wrote:
Hello,
I usually just listen and read this forum, but had to post this.
I was just given (as a present from a band parent) a Conn Constellation that belonged to Maynard Ferguson, in 1962-63. The gentlemen that gave me the horn was a professional photographer and was doing an album cover for Ferguson back then. I didn't know that Mr. Ferguson played Conns but according to the story, this horn was actually given to a H.S. student he was working with (long story you don't want to read), but anyway, this horn was played in H.S. and then put away in the closet until two months ago, and the H.S. student gave it to the photographer who's son was in my M.S. band....anyway, this student felt it should be given to me, and that's the story....I have no reason not to believe him. Anyway, it's in wonderful shape except the plating is checking. I'm going to have it cleaned up and then try it. Thought you guys that like Conn Constellations might enjoy this story. Back to lurking.....

Thanks for the story. If there is any way to verify the serial number and authenticate that it was the same one he used on the Roulette recordings, it should be worth a great deal. Heck, worn plating or not, I'd trade a few of mine, including one just like it in great condition, for it.

Then again, maybe not. All the built in DHC's have been used up.....
monel6

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
There is varifacation, but it is through some private letters that were not given to me. The finish is totally intact, it just looks cracked...very wierd looking..I guess it's just aged. I will post the serial number if anyone cares for it..where do I look for serials and dates...Conn website?
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.cgconn.com/content/serialno_conn.php
monel6

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I finally found that site....that puts my horn around 1962-63.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: