• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tongue arch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am trying to understand the value of tongue aching to facilitate air speed and, concomitantly, upper register performance. I envision tongue arching as being a barrier to air flow. I've read players who talk about air's moving faster over an arched surface and I accept this; but wouldn't the arch have to occur immediately in front of the lips for it to have any effect on air speed? If the tongue is arched too far back in the oral cavity, wouldn't the effect be one of reduced air flow? Thanks for any responses to this post. Jim
EBjazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tongue arching to me is the back part of the tongue. K-tongue modified is a forward arched tongue, sometimes the arch pressing up against the inside of the top teeth. Sometimes it's against the top of the mouth.
I find the air delivery to be fine at all points. It's where you control it and how.

Quote:

On 2002-09-18 20:38, Jim wrote:
I am trying to understand the value of tongue aching to facilitate air speed and, concomitantly, upper register performance. I envision tongue arching as being a barrier to air flow. I've read players who talk about air's moving faster over an arched surface and I accept this; but wouldn't the arch have to occur immediately in front of the lips for it to have any effect on air speed? If the tongue is arched too far back in the oral cavity, wouldn't the effect be one of reduced air flow? Thanks for any responses to this post. Jim

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: