• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Please see this

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetherald
System Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?topic=4448&forum=14
walter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very disappointed in reading of John Mohan's removal as CG moderator. I know that some of the people who post on the TH consider Johns comments and challenges to be "bashing", but I just don't see their point. I don't read everything that John Mohan writes, but from what I've seen, he maintains a consistent tone of honest and fair discourse. Of course, to John's detractors, I'm a "Mohan minion"; I believe that I was even labeled as such at one time [Isn't this a form of bashing].

I assume that much of the criticism of John has to do with stuff that he wrote in the SuperChops forum. I don't know most of what went on in there, since I gave up on trying to learn more about Jerome Callet's work from his adherents here at the TH. Now that the SC forum is closed, I have no way of determining if the criticisms of John are valid or simply the Big Lie, which if said often enough, becomes the accepted truth.

BTW: I did receive emails from someone who was booted out of the SC forum [a current student of Callet's] for apparently not posting politically correct material. My correspondence with this SC "black sheep" was informative, and even though I questioned him about what he was learning from Callet, our emails never degenerated into what I've seen so often from the SC clique at the TH.

Since the TH moderator never cited his reasons for dumping John Mohan, or, even better yet, offered the proof of Mohan's indiscretions, the only people who will understand the reason for Mohan's displacement will be those who apparently need no reason nor proof.

This whole affair sours my feelings for the TH. I know that there ARE important people in the trumpet world who read, and occasionally pseudonymously post here. John is an example of the level of player [an active pro of undisputed ability] that we want to attract to the Forum. I feel that if I'm dissuaded from coming to, let alone posting on, this site, then the TH will probably fall away from the interest of anyone outside of the clique that seems to serve as a modern day Inquisition.

The Forum has seemed to serve as a place that can include academic [as in Plato's ideals] discussion of ideas. It seems to be moving towards the "scholastic" ideal: one in which the only discussion that will be tolerated is one that supports the dogma of those who, by force of intimidation, set the agenda of what is OK and what is not OK. These people are narrow-minded bullies, and their tactics are in the style of radical fundamentalism ... something that we should all be wary of in today's world.

I expect the bashing that John has received to come my way ... as it has before. What a pathetic way for people to behave in a site that should be above the fray of unsupported, personal attack.

walter
wsharshon@hotmail.com.
Pete
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walter,

I agree. The extremes on the site are intertesting, to say the least. I'm not going to name individuals, but all the "systems" were developed in the field, doing gigs over the years.

We've all experienced some enlightenment from an experienced player who was willing to share the truth as it was at that time. I don't agree or disagree with John. I take what I am able to use from anyone, and disregard the rest.

When you see players like Roger Ingram, Mike Ponella, Dave Trigg playing in sections together(NY Brass Conf.), you don't sit there and determine what "system" they are using.It's MUSIC.You use enough air and reduce pressure on your chops and you can get there. If everyone used the same "system" wouldn't we all be able to be play exactly the same? It doesn't work that way.

Each of us can and do learn from all sources. And I truly beleive that to be loyal to any "system" to the point of being close- minded to anything else is not beneficial to extending your knowledge. It's Music.

Good Luck to John. I've not posted to him before, but he appeared to approach issues with assertion and integrity on most issues.

Pete
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: