• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Counting phrases in Jazz Improvisation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mustbflat
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe it or not, I'm having difficulty counting phrases or measures while improvising. I'm working with an Aebersold book and I can work in the improv okay, but I seem to have a problem also counting the number of 4 or 8 bar phrases. What usually happens is that I return to the melody one or two phrases before the end of the song.

Does anyone have any suggestions to help develop good counting habits and keeping place? I really can count though. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8....see!
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-08-23 10:31, mustbflat wrote:
Believe it or not, I'm having difficulty counting phrases or measures while improvising. I'm working with an Aebersold book and I can work in the improv okay, but I seem to have a problem also counting the number of 4 or 8 bar phrases. What usually happens is that I return to the melody one or two phrases before the end of the song.

Does anyone have any suggestions to help develop good counting habits and keeping place? I really can count though. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8....see!

First, this is a common problem with many beginner improvisers. I think the idea here is NOT to "count" measure as you play. That's way too academic and there are more important things to be thinking about when you're playing on the fly. Better to feel the pulse and play 2 and 4 bar phrase units. There are numerous tactics you can try in helping you to adjust to playing phrase units. You might try, for example, performing phrase lines mentally and/or vocally without the horn at first as you listen to an Aebersold accompaniment of a tune you know well, as a first step toward hearing and feeling in phrase units. Try doing this with simple tunes like Summertime, Autumn Leaves, or any tune you know well. The neat thing about Aebersold's stuff is that you are litterally working with a kind of harmonic metronome. This will be a popular topic and others will soon chime in with all sorts of good tactics for this problem.

You know, the thing that always scares me the most in jazz is drum solos. Trading 4s is not too tricky, but trading 8s, or just an open drum solo section makes me sweat bullets.
Larry Smithee
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-09-29 17:49 ]
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea is not to have to count at all. You should be working to internalize the sound of the chord progression. (Likewise, you want to get to the point where you don't actively think about the notes and scales for each chord in the chord progression while you're improvising.) It's all a big distraction that gets in the way of you expressing ideas freely.

Try this exercise -- take your favorite Abersold play along and drop the needle in the middle of the track. Identify the top of the form by listening to the chords go by. It's easiest to work on this with blues progressions and AABA standards.

Listen for markers in the tune -- key areas in the tonic, rapid chord progressions that mark turnarounds, etc.

Getting handy at this will free you up in alot of ways...
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anything, the thing to have in your head is the original melody--part of why listening to singers is good--you'll be able to feel the ark of the melody as it resolves it's tension at the end of each 8 bar or 4 bar phrase. The same goes for the chord pattern that goes with it. If the comping instruments in the rythm section are resolving the chord, you're at the end of a phrase. Eventually, the 8 and 4 bar phrase will become a part of your body/mind, and you'll notice more when something Isn't set to that pattern.
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a great thread, one that prompts me to ask how others learn chord changes. do you literally memorize them or simply familiarize yourself with them so you can be ready as the rhythm section feeds them to you?

if you do memorize them, do you internalize them as symbols, or groups of notes or, possibly, piano keys?

or do you hear them as different "flavors" of sound?

what works best for you?

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
derekph

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a great book out there by Jerry Coker (I think) called Hearing the Changes. He discusses learning tunes extensively. One of the big things is being able to recognize keys that the tune is moving through; generalize and simplify the changes to the tune. I do think that it's a useful skill to be able to hear and instantaneously figure out what key you're in or going to or coming from. Sure there are those gigs where you can bring your Fake Book, but sometimes you (or I do anyway) feel like a bonehead having to read Autumn Leaves or Girl From Ipanema, so you choose to leave the book at home. Then someone calls a tune that you've never heard of before. Now what? This is when your ear really needs to be trained to be able to pick up what's going on in the rhythm section, what the bass player is playing, the form, the key, as much of the melody as you can get, where the bridge is, etc...
This is such an ongoing thing for jazz musicians I think. Training the ear to be able to pick things up on the fly is invaluable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-08-23 22:20, jhatpro wrote:
this is a great thread, one that prompts me to ask how others learn chord changes. do you literally memorize them or simply familiarize yourself with them so you can be ready as the rhythm section feeds them to you?

if you do memorize them, do you internalize them as symbols, or groups of notes or, possibly, piano keys?

or do you hear them as different "flavors" of sound?

what works best for you?

It depends on the tune. Often (especially with song standards), you can memorize key areas and that will get you a long way towards having a handle on the tune.

It also helps to be able to generalize chord changes (e.g., Ceora is an awful lot like Shiny Stockings, the bridge to When Sunny Gets Blue is an awful lot like the bridge to Body and Soul, the bridge to Alone Together is basically the bridge to A Night In Tunisia, etc.), so you don't have to memorize overlapping chord usage...

Some folks advocate a system for memorizing changes like this

* play the root motion

* play the third of each chord

* play the sevent of each chord

* arpeggiate each chord slowly

All the repitition helps reinforce the changes over time. It's drudgery, but it probably works.

It also helps to play enough piano to be able to hack through a tune on your own...
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-08-23 14:16, pfrank wrote:
If anything, the thing to have in your head is the original melody . . . .

When I was first attempting to play jazz, I knew nothing. Exactly that: nothing. I was hanging out with and playing with a group two or three nights a week in St. Petersburg, FL, and the group consisted of 2 tenor saxes, me (on trumpet), a bass player and a drummer. That was in 1973 & '74.

The only thing I was told (the only clue they'd give me) was that the form they were using to improvise was simply the melody of the tune and at the end of the form it just repeated. Period.

So I learned to sing the tune over and over (to myself), and that's how I learned about form. It was years later before I learned about chords, and by then I had developed a pretty unshakable sense of form.

[Rhythm players I've worked with know not to mess with me about form. ]

So my response to the original post is that if you hear the melody in your head, and indelibly impress it there, you won't be getting lost anymore. However, you'll start getting irritated with young and/or inexperienced rhythm sections who lose the form.

That's my 2˘ worth . . . have a nice day!
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-08-24 15:19, BeboppinFool wrote:
So my response to the original post is that if you hear the melody in your head, and indelibly impress it there, you won't be getting lost anymore. However, you'll start getting irritated with young and/or inexperienced rhythm sections who lose the form.

(One note: beware tunes that have different blowing changes than changes over the head.)
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-08-24 20:13, jazz_trpt wrote:
(One note: beware tunes that have different blowing changes than changes over the head.)

But the different blowing changes don't necessarily mean a different form. Frank Zappa's "Blessed Relief" has a different blowing form as well as different blowing changes, but such tunes as this are the exception, certainly not the rule.

I'm going to guess that 99% of tunes in jazz follow the same form during the blowing that they did during the head.
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed that it's unusual to have a different number of bars in the form.

But if you're running the tune to, say, "Hocus Pocus" in your head while you're blowing over the changes, don't you run the risk that you're going to be blowing over what you're hearing in your head instead of what the piano player's playing?

Then, there's the "little sunflower" dilemma, where everyone plays the form differently...

Anyways, you're right, it's a good device if you're having trouble keeping time, I suppose, as long as it's not occupying alot of your processing power...
PC
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, from the little experience I have I would say that the best bet is knowing the song and being able to play while being aware of the underlying harmony and not just doing your planned solo alone with just yourself (which is really difficult and far from mastered in my case).

An analogy in simpler situations arises in classical orchestral playing where you have lots of bars to count; I seldom do count nowadays, I prefer understanding what goes on in the other instruments and usually it is quite trivial to fit in with your part, whereas inexperienced players get mixed up in their counting and cannot find the right place again as they don't know how to listen and internalise the whole harmonic structure going on at the same time.

So, if you know the changes and are able to internalise what the rhythm section is doing in real time, you souldn't need to explicitly count bars while soloing.

Makes sense?
Pierre.
mustbflat
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PC

Thanks for the reply. Actually, I have a good feeling for the changes and even if I lose my place for a minute, I can usually pickup the next chord change and get back on track.

The problem I was having (I thought) was in counting the full choruses from the Aebersold recordings. As it turns out, another forum member informed me that occassionally those volumes may say play 5 choruses when there are actually 6 on the recording. This would explain why I was finishing up on the 5th. chorus and the recording would begin a 6th. I assumed the problem was with my counting considering there could never me a misprint in a music book<G>!

Thanks for all the replies.
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-08-23 10:31, mustbflat wrote:

I usually just have someone else count for me while i improvise. hehe it's allot easier that way.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: