• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Carnival of Venus, Vizzutti

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpet1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I have seen part of "Carnival of Venus" and I was wondering if it's humanly possible....just wondering if anyone have an mp3 or .wav or .ram file of it you're willing to send a copy to...I just wanna hear it and die happy....thanks!

Vizzutti is God
as I have heard

The trumpet isn't spinning
The world is just revolving around it
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vizzutti wrote the arrangement, played it, and recorded it. So yeah, it's possible to play. It's just not possible to play for very many trumpet players. By the way, you can buy the recording. It's on the Summit record label. The entire CD features Vizzutti and is worth having.
http://www.summitrecords.com/index.tmpl
Larry Smithee
_latin_trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a matter of fact I'm listening to it right now. Vizzutti is incredible!!

"There is no substitute for practice".
pedaltonekid
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of years ago, the International Trumpet Guild published the music for this arrangement. The range, intervals and multiple tongueing are unbelievable.
kenny dorham is an animal
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahah yea i have an mp3 of that recording, the first time i heard it i nearly fell over, crucial arrangment.

DRES
tcutrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to hear another HUMAN come close to playing that piece like Vizzutti does it! I don't think anyone can double tongue octaves like that! Vizzutti is just a freak. He is one person that always just seemed to have the ability and didn't have many obstacles to overcome.

Matt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Al Cass

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always wondered why the ITG published "Carnival of Venus" Why publish something only 3 or 4 people in the world can play? Then they published some cornet solo for e-flat cornet-how useful!! (and a bad piece of music at that)..needless to say I'm no longer an ITG member..waste of $$$$

[ This Message was edited by: Al Cass on 2002-10-03 23:09 ]
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-10-03 23:04, Al Cass wrote:
I always wondered why the ITG published "Carnival of Venus" Why publish something only 3 or 4 people in the world can play? Then they published some cornet solo for e-flat cornet-how useful!! (and a bad piece of music at that)..needless to say I'm no longer an ITG member..waste of $$$$

[ This Message was edited by: Al Cass on 2002-10-03 23:09 ]

Sorry you feel that way about ITG. I've been a member since the 1970s. What I'm going to say probably won't turn you into an ITG fan but I think one reason for publishing something that most can't play is tied and linked to inspiration. Here we have Allen Vizzuti, a normal enough guy actually, who puts his pants on just like the rest of us, but has mastered his instrument (and our instrument) to an unbelievable level of artistry. He does all this with no tricks, just simply a very high level of talent, coupled with hard work. Hey, some of us need heros. As for the Eb cornet solos, I think there is an interest among some of the ITG membership in historically important trumpet/cornet music that paved the way for all the rest of the literature. I wonder if you would think it was bad music if a virtuoso like Vizzuti played it. Personally I would be impressed in hearing Vizzuti play "Come To Jesus" in whole notes. He's just that good and could probably make it sound fantastic.
Larry Smithee

[ This Message was edited by: Larry Smithee on 2002-10-03 23:29 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Larry Smithee on 2002-10-03 23:32 ]
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-10-03 23:27, Larry Smithee wrote:
Quote:

<font size=-2>[ This Message was edited by: Al Cass on 2002-10-03 23:09 ]</font>

Sorry you feel that way about ITG. I've been a member since the 1970s. What I'm going to say probably won't turn you into an ITG fan but I think one reason for publishing something that most can't play is tied and linked to inspiration. Here we have Allen Vizzuti, a normal enough guy actually, who puts his pants on just like the rest of us, but has mastered his instrument (and our instrument) to an unbelievable level of artistry. He does all this with no tricks, just simply a very high level of talent, coupled with hard work. Hey, some of us need heros. As for the Eb cornet solos, I think there is an interest among some of the ITG membership in historically important trumpet/cornet music that paved the way for all the rest of the literature. I wonder if you would think it was bad music if a virtuoso like Vizzuti played it. Personally I would be impressed in hearing Vizzuti play &quot;Come To Jesus&quot; in whole notes. He's just that good and could probably make it sound fantastic.
Larry Smithee

<font size=-2>[ This Message was edited by: Larry Smithee on 2002-10-03 23:29 ]</font>
trumpetguy99
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say I used to think Vizzuti was a great trumpet player and a poor musician. But I had a chance to hear him in person last year and I have to say he played great. Probably the most versitile trumpet players I've heard in a long time, maybe ever.
pair of kings
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vizzutti piece is of one of my treasures I have from ITG. I can get through some of it - not at a performable level. It is in the file now but I got a kick from the challenge of it.
I have the 45 sized record of Vizzutti that ITG sent out in the 80's. the side I remember without looking is Skyrocket. I got a quintet arrangement of My Spirit Be Joyful from ITG that I performed at a memorial service for my teacher. ITG has been worth my dues. Someday maybe I'll try out that piece for Eb cornet.
Quote:

<font size=-2>[ This Message was edited by: Al Cass on 2002-10-03 23:09 ]</font>

Trumpet1- want me to send you a file of me playing it?
oh yeah - you said you wanted to die happy. well, you'd die laughing!
trumpet1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awww...I won't laugh...I can't get the first bar where there are 16th's (I think they are 16th's) arpeggio from low C to Double C....I thought to myself..."That's easy...I'll be able to play that in...one of these days...yeah, that's it..one of these days... ;D (yeah right)"

I can't wait to meet him...in a month or two...golly...I believe he's doing Venus for us as a show-off-er...need ta take pictures of our reactions when he starts playing ;D

The trumpet isn't spinning
The world is just revolving around it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Recordings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: