• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

finally..i have the Encyclopedia!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FN Wilson

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just recieved the pivot encyclopedia today!! I was surprised at how thick and all the great explanations. Im still reading it (started 2 hours ago) and enjoying the wealth of trumpet knowledge. Tonight ill "try" to classify myself .(i know its hard..but teachers of the pivot system are very scarce around here.) and Im sure ill be back with questions tommorrow.. So far I know im a type two tongue..soo excited....

well..back to reading
dustin
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-10-10 20:40, FN Wilson wrote:
Just received the pivot encyclopedia today!! I was surprised at how thick and all the great explanations.

Hey, Dustin!

I'm curious to know which edition you bought . . . who you bought it from and how much you paid for it, etc. If you wouldn't mind sharing that with the rest of us, I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks!

Rich
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich,

My copy of the Enyclopedia of the Pivot System arrived today from http://www.playjazz.com. Cost was $40.95, including shipping.

(Amazon has a used hard copy for $150!)

I've looked through it, and so far haven't found much that really explains how the pivot works, and there are no drills. Are these in the Manual? Where is it available?

Thanks,

Jim

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
FN Wilson

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My copy doesn't have drills in it either. Its about an 1 1/2" thick. Black paper cover that says The Encyclopedia of the Pivot system : For all cupped brass intruments. Revised Edition. It has small illistrations of the types( I believe that Im a IIIA with a type 2 tongue..er..i think..).. I skimed throught alot of it and Im still working on figuring out the Pivot test. I bought it on Amazon.com from some guy selling on it. I paid $50 plus shipping.

Dustin

- Robbin Williams
(One Hour Photo)

[ This Message was edited by: FN Wilson on 2002-10-12 04:34 ]
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-10-12 00:30, jhatpro wrote:
My copy of the Enyclopedia of the Pivot System arrived today from http://www.playjazz.com. Cost was $40.95, including shipping.

Could you describe the physical appearance of your book . . . is this the Augmented Version (1973) . . . does the text on the inside look like it was done on a typewriter and reprinted from actual typewritten pages (not reduced at all)? Tell us about the copyright date and publisher, could you please?

Thanks!

Rich
drunkiq
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Rich - even if it is an old copy it should be okay right? or do the newer copies have mroe info

I was about to buy this one for $25 untill I saw this - let me know if I should get it...

http://www.charlescolin.com/text/

Thanks,

Marc
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-10-12 12:45, drunkiq wrote:
Hey Rich - even if it is an old copy it should be okay right? or do the newer copies have more info

Well, the old, thick black one that Dustin got hold of is the best choice, although it is out of print. Chris LaBarbera was telling me that Colin is now issuing the 1961 edition, which is nowhere near as complete as the 1973 (Augmented) edition.

Elsewhere on this Donald S. Reinhardt forum (from a month or so ago) Chris posted about Dave Sheetz's corrected edition for $30.00. That may be the best choice if you can't get the 1973 edition.

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?topic=4352&forum=23&4

You say there are no drills in the Encyclopedia? Au contraire, mon frere! You've gotta read it, man . . . just because you don't see staves and notes doesn't mean there's not an abundance of procedures you can do on your horn. Read the Encyclopedia! You won't be saying there aren't any drills in it.

Rich
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, okay, I'll read it again, more carefully. If there are drills in there, I'll find 'em. Meantime, the book I got from http://www.playjazz.com appears to be photocopied from something that was typed with a old typewriter, like the one Glenn Close found in Jeff Bridges' closet in "Jagged Edge."

The front cover says: "Master Series" and then "Encyclopedia of the Pivot System" and then "Original (unabridged) Edition by Dr. Donald Reinhardt. CC 1101. Charles Colin Publications. 315 West 53 Street NYC 10019. It's comb bound, Kinko's style, with a clear plastic cover front and back. The back has a line drawing or sketch of the Chas. Colin Music Building, and a list of "Highlighest from the Colin Catlogue" including a whole raft of methods, duets, ensembles, etc. for trumpet.

At the bottom is the colin Web address, so it's a fairly new version of the original book.

Incidentally, the online out-of-print book dealer, Alibris, has a hardcover copy of the book for $187.50. Yikes!

Jim

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: