• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Music piracy stopped in its tracks!

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are "Records" the future of secure music recording?
Yes
42%
 42%  [ 6 ]
No
35%
 35%  [ 5 ]
WTF is a "Record"?
21%
 21%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 14

Clarino
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:14 am    Post subject: Music piracy stopped in its tracks! Reply with quote

Music bosses have unveiled a revolutionary new recording format that they hope will help win the war on illegal file sharing which is thought to be costing the industry millions of dollars in lost revenue.

Nicknamed the 'Record', the new format takes the form of a black, vinyl disc measuring 12 inches in diameter, which must be played on a specially designed 'turntable'.

"We can state with absolute certainty that no computer in the world can access the data on this disc," said spokesman Brett Campbell.

"We are also confident that no-one is going to be able to produce pirate copies in this format without going to a heck of a lot of trouble. This is without doubt the best anti-piracy invention the music industry has ever seen."

As part of the invention's rigorous testing process, the designers gave some discs to a group of teenage computer experts who regularly use file swapping software such as Limewire and gnutella and who admit to pirating music CDs. Despite several days of trying, none of them were able to hack into the disc's code or access any of the music files contained within it.

"It's like, really big and stuff," said Doug Flamboise, one of the testers. "I couldn't get it into any of my drives. I mean, what format is it? Is it, like, from France or something?"

Invention: Teenage computer hackers struggled to access the new disc. In the new format, raw audio data in the form of music is encoded by physically etching grooves onto the vinyl disc. The sound is thus translated into variations on the disc's surface in a process that industry insiders are describing as 'completely evolutionary' and 'stunningly clever.'

To decode the data stored on the disc, the listener must use a special player which contains a 'needle' that runs along the grooves on the record surface, reading the indentations and transforming the movements back into audio that can be fed through loudspeakers.

Even Shawn Fanning, the man who invented Napster, admits the new format will make file swapping much more difficult. "I've never seen anything like this," he told reporters. "How does it work?"

Pirates: Their days are numbered.

As rumours that a Taiwanese company has been secretly developing a 12 inch wide, turntable-driven, needle-based, firewire drive remain unconfirmed, it would appear that the music industry may, at last, have found the pirate-proof format it has long been searching for.
vivace
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol. was that from the onion or something

(and not to kill the fun, but there are easy ways to rip vynil)
jophst
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe so. Things will just keep getting smaller and smaller and more efficient. CD's will be obsolete in a few years.

DVD's will even be obsolete in a few years to make room for mini-DVD's.

I do believe that in the future, we won't need to go to stores any more to purchase CD's. We'll just be able to download them in seconds each. DVD's will be downloaded the same way in seconds.

I don't see how they can possibly stop the pirating of music ... it's too spread right now.
Laskey's 68MD,68C,PIC,68F,68DB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Clarino
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er, it's supposed to be a joke on how most young people (downloading/sharing techno types) don't remember such antiquated technology and wouldn't know how to use it.

vivace wrote:

Dunno. What's the onion?
jophst
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I see ... I took it too literally. They would figure it out though. It's just an extra step to properly rip it off a record onto a computer,.... and then share away!
Laskey's 68MD,68C,PIC,68F,68DB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lh
Claude Gordon Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<< I do believe that in the future, we won't need to go to stores any more to purchase CD's.>>

I won't need to anyway... I'll have ALL the music!

MWAHAHAHA
Selmer Paris model 59 Piccolo 1977
Conn New Invention Cornet 1913
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already cracked that one and ripped the tracks onto CD.

I can even do the more advanced 78 rpm format.

(I remastered 78's from the 1950's of a radio choir my parents sang in for their 50th wedding anniversary)
gander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarino wrote:
Er, it's supposed to be a joke on how most young people (downloading/sharing techno types) don't remember such antiquated technology and wouldn't know how to use it.

vivace wrote:

Dunno. What's the onion?

www.onion.com

The Onion is an on line... ah ... newspaper? It's a site with stories that are parodies, are usually funny and often hit too close to reality.

Take a look.

Kanstul Chicago 1000
Reynolds Contempora Cornet
Conn Vintage 1 Flugelhorn
vivace
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup... satire, all funy satire. I love it.
BrassArranger
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I'm waiting for Edison to release has much talked about 'Wax Cylinder'. The only way to rip the music from these is to physically steal the cylinder. Data protection is provided by having a blank unused 'wax cylinder' to hit the thief over the head with.

Brass-Forum.co.uk

Bach Strad Bb ML 43 - Bach 3C
Schilke D/Eb E2 - Gold Plate - Bach 3C
Schilke Picc P5-4 - Silver plate - Bach 3C
Besson & Co Class A Prototype Flugel
JackD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrassArranger wrote:
Personally I'm waiting for Edison to release has much talked about 'Wax Cylinder'. The only way to rip the music from these is to physically steal the cylinder. Data protection is provided by having a blank unused 'wax cylinder' to hit the thief over the head with.

Or how about Sony's latest creation - the "Live Performance" - you have to actually kidnap the whole orchestra and conductor, build your own concert hall, and then convince them to play it again!
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack - it'll never work
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: