• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Buzzing a la Reinhardt

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-10-09 02:17, PC wrote:
The URL was just to prove that folk do buzz high up. I know the stuff there (although great trumpet playing) is probably antithesis to DSR's routine, I was just enthusiastic in finding a high C buzzer on the net. What benefit you get from that is another story.

Maybe so, but he did many things contrary to what Doc taught . . . the first things I heard were buzzing in the tuba range. Soon after that I heard instructions to tongue your buzz all different ways. Those things might work for people who have no real chop difficulties, but Doc was known for taking broken down players and helping them develop real chops.

Doc recommended that trumpet players not buzz below our G in the staff (2nd line G) and he also recommended that we never tongue a buzz.

I accept the fact that going contrary to those things has apparently not harmed others, but as a devoted Reinhardt student, I do not condone those other things and strongly believe that what appears here on the Donald S. Reinhardt forum ought to be in line with Doc's teachings.

Thanks for understanding. Maybe next time you'll see the bigger picture, alright?

Rich
spanky
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i guess that's what i get for opening my big mouth.
Pops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Pops on 2003-05-13 11:00 ]
walter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Pops- Welcome. Your reputation preceeds you.

However, when I read ...
Quote:
When the mouthpiece is placed ON lips of buzzing firmness they hold them slightly in place. So when we play a Low G we can instantly pop back to middle C, or whatever.

... my immediate response is: Huh? I've tried parsing the sentences as best as I can, and I'm still lost.

I know that you seem to like buzzing [me too], but I'm not sure if you're for or against free buzzing.

Another question: How does pivoting relate to your example of playing low G and instantly popping back up to middle C?

Thanks in advance.

walter
Pops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Pops on 2003-05-13 11:01 ]
DSR
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote "I'm FOR lip buzzing. But only if you buzz like you play. "

What about upstream players? They can derive many benefits from limited free lip buzzing yet their buzzing embouchure is quite different than their playing embouchure...namely the downward airstream instead of the upward airstream.

-Brendan
Pops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Pops on 2003-05-13 11:01 ]
DSR
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: DSR on 2002-10-17 00:33 ]
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-10-16 23:05, Pops wrote:
Lip buzzing gives some benefits regardless of how you do it. BUT if done the same way that you play the benefits are 10 times greater.

And I am compelled to jump in at this point and state that Doc Reinhardt told all players to buzz with the airstream going downward. I'm not sure why he told us that, but I know that he said that to all his students (and he committed it to print as well).

If you're an upstream player, yes, you buzz without the mouthpiece with your air going downward . . . probably because that works all the correct muscles that Reinhardt wanted you to work out to get rid of a flabby embouchure.

The only caution I remember Doc giving upstream players in regards to buzzing was in the Four Buzzing Categories, he would instruct upstream players not to buzz and "walk into the mouthpiece," as this would surely cause embouchure distortion and other unnecessary problems.

We all reap benefits when we buzz correctly according to Doc's guidelines. . . there are plenty of ways to buzz incorrectly that gives no benefits and are even detrimental, so I must take exception to what Clint McLaughlin has posted.

We're here to continue with the teachings of Doc Reinhardt here, sir, and we are not trying to promote our own theories and philosophies here.

Thank you for your understanding.

Rich
hairy james

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pops,

The reason that Doc wanted us to always buzz with the air going downstream was because he wanted that lower lip in and over the lower teeth regardless of your type ( upsteam or downstream). Buzzing with the air going up doesn't allow the lower lip to roll in correctly.

I have a question for you, it is common knowlage that you are a devoted student of the late Don Jacoby. You stated in a post on this forum that an "Embouchure shouldn't have to move a great deal to play a piece of music." If this is the case then why does Mr.Jacoby advocate dropping the jaw and tilting the horn up at the celing to play the low register?

There are pictures in his book "Jake's Method" of where the horn should be pointing for the middle, low and high register. Those pictures show a very radical movement. If one were to play the octave drills in the Schlossberg book that way they would look more like a conductor and less like a trumpet player!

Reinhardt would never have allowed you to drop your jaw and point the horn up for low notes. He told me to use my pivot and muscular relaxation to play the low register. Dropping the jaw for low notes is a "compression killer" and brings on "embouchure distortion" under the rim of the mouthpiece.

I've been on your web site and I must tell you that I was very impressed. A lot of what you say sounds very "Reinhardt like", so I was wondering if you had ever studied with Doc? Just curious. It's also nice to know that you are anti-pedal tone. You know, pretty much everything you said about buzzing (except buzzing with the air going up ) was right on the money. And as far as your pivot being more internal, well Doc used to say that once the pivot was mastered you would need a magnifying glass to see it on most players. Sounds like you're on the right track.

I hope to hear from you again on this forum.

Chris
PC
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,

I was about to stop lip buzzing as I was feeling my lower lip curl on my lower teeth thinking that was lip distortion people warn about. At the same time, my accuracy and endurance playing the trumpet had never improved so quickly in the past, so I thought that maybe something is right after all. I am comforted to read here that in DSR's system, this appears to be a good lip positioning, if we are writing about the same thing.

I feel that this lower lip positioning comes about strongly when buzzing into higher range, so I'm a little surprised Doc didn't advocate pushing the limits upwards; it is my experience that when the lips are where they should, you get a sound, when something is wrong, you get nothing; therefore, I don't see bad habits developing here. One thing you mentioned before, is that lip buzzing is extremely tiring, so maybe that is the main reason not to engage in extended lip practice before hitting the trumpet?

I now understand more the "why" behind the no-no of low note lip buzzing, although it seems to me that once you have attained sufficient lip development, going for low notes can actually give you the relaxed feeling required WITHOUT having to lower the jaw. But maybe that benefit is slight compared with the risk of wrong lip manipulation (i.e. pursing out), in DSR's view.

Regards,
Pierre
hairy james

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pierre,

Doc never said that you shouldn't try to buzz high, only that very few people could ever buzz as high as they could play. He didn't want you to be dissapointed if your trumpet range was high 'G' and you could only buzz to say a 'A' or 'Bb' under high 'C'. So by all means try to push it "range wise" when buzzing. Just make sure that you don't smile ( pull your corners back towards your ears ) when buzzing high.

Good luck,
Chris

[ This Message was edited by: hairy james on 2002-10-17 14:16 ]
PC
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks chris,

Full agreement here on the Smile no-no!!

Pierre.
hairy james

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pops'

I've been waiting for you to adress my question about Don Jocoby's thought's on jaw position. If you haven't read my question yet, it's posted under this topic "Buzzing a la Reinhardt" right after your posts about buzzing, my post was dated 10-17-02.

Looking foward to hearing from you.
Chris

[ This Message was edited by: hairy james on 2002-10-18 11:42 ]
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-10-18 11:39, hairy james wrote:
Pops'
I've been waiting for you to adress my question about Don Jocoby's thought's on jaw position. If you haven't read my question yet, it's posted under this topic "Buzzing a la Reinhardt" right after your posts about buzzing, my post was dated 10-17-02.
Looking foward to hearing from you.
Chris

Chris? I hope you're not holding your breath . . . .

Rich
Pops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Pops on 2003-05-13 11:02 ]
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-10-21 01:43, Pops wrote:
And Mr. Willey with his laughing post just above this one is a little less professional than I would expect from a moderator. (I fully agree with his right to disagree with my last buzzing post.)

Sorry, Clint, I was trying to have a little fun with Chris . . . it was two days later and I know you don't post much; please don't read anything else into that.

I read the posts on TPIN about Tommy Loy and can see that his impact made the tragedy of his death all the more difficult to handle. My condolences to you and all who knew him well.

Rich
Pops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Pops on 2003-05-13 11:02 ]
bgibson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich and everyone;
Sorry for being late on this post, just got back and am still having jet lag.
Doc mentioned that there were 2 people that had studied with him that could buzz as high as they could play. Warren Covington was one of them, I heard Warren do this when I studied with him. I cannot remember who else Doc mentioned that could buzz as high as they could play.
I also recall Doc talking about mouthpiece buzzing as a correctional procedure for swelling. Buzzing on the next largest size mouthpiece for a few minutes to help reduce swelling, in other words tpt players buzz on a Trombone mouthpiece, Trombonists use aTuba mouthpiece.
WEG
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: