• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Pivot Manual

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know where I can get a copy of the Pivot Manual? I have the Encyclopedia, which I bought from http://www.playjazz.com for $40.95, including shipping. But I'd like to see what's in the manual that's not in the "E."

Thanks!

Jim

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rumor has it that Dave Sheetz has signed onto the Forum and will be sharing with us any day now. I imagine Dave has the answer to this otherwise unanswered query.

Now, one thing I do know, and that's if you contact Theodore Presser, they will go into the archives and make you a photocopy of one book for a not-very-reasonable fee. I went to the MENC convention in Florida a couple years ago and talked to them about that (they own all of the Elkan-Vogel catalog). I talked to the representative at the booth, and within a few weeks he wrote me back quoting how much it would be to get a single copy of the very same book. I can't remember how much that was then, but I remember thinking that it wasn't worth it for me (after all, I still have two of the originals).

Still waiting for a better answer right along with you, Jim.

Rich
walter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Rich and others- I know some people who work for Pressers, and their store isn't too far from where I live. Perhaps I could make a personal visit and see if I can push some buttons. I've got a very busy weekend, and I'm famous for my lack of responsibility; so if I don't take some action within the next week or two, please feel free to kick my butt a little (I'm a sensitive type of guy) to see if there might be some arrangements to be made. Elkan-Vogel was always a small enterprise in a dusty 2nd or 3rd floor office. Presser probably picked-up the rights from Elkan-Vogel for a song.

I'm thinking of approaching the people I know at Presser with some type of appeal on an academic interest approach. Does anyone have any ideas? Does anyone have an interest in buying out Presser's interest in Doc's works?

walter
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walter,

That's very generous of you. How about starting by telling them you know some trumpet players who would buy copies if the price was reasonable. Ask them how much it might be if they printed up a batch instead of one-offed them.

As for owning the rights, what's the original date of publication? My understanding of the current law, including the so-called Sonny Bono Extension (passed in 1998; extends copyright 20 years) is that, unless it was renewed prior to the 28th year, the book may be in the public domain.

If they still own the rights and want to sell them, ask them for how much.

Keep us posted!

Jim

[ This Message was edited by: jhatpro on 2002-10-18 04:18 ]
walter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try to get out to Presser's next week some time. Keep bugging me if you don't hear something in a week or two.

walter
scream
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the things we had hoped to discuss at the "Reinhardt Reunion" was how to purchase the rights to the publications so the Reinhardt Foundation has control of them. Hopefully we can get that moving forward. Heck, the president of the foundation is an attorney.....

Paul

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously.
Hubert H. Humphrey
US politician (1911 - 1978)
bgibson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walter;
While you are visiting the people at Presser's, how about checking on getting Doc's other 3 books back in print as well as the "Manual"?
WEG
Jerry Freedman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you enumerate Doc's books and what is in them?

J. Freedman
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-11-01 15:45, Jerry Freedman wrote:
Could you enumerate Doc's books and what is in them?

It's sorta been done already. Take a look at the following website:

www.trumpetguild.org/pdf/rreverettreinhardt.pdf

That will download a .pdf file of "An Interview with Dr. Donald S. Reinhardt" by Thomas Everett. I would suggest reading that more than once if you want to get an idea of what the man was about.

I can hear Doc's voice in my head telling some of those same stories; as he got older, he tended to repeat many stories verbatim. In fact, I heard very many of the same stories over and over again, and finally got to the point where I'd tell him that he had already told me that story before he launched into it yet again.

But I think many of your questions will be answered by reading that article, Jerry.

Rich
Jerry Freedman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, Rich. I read the article. In the article it is mentioned that the title "Pivot" system came from Reinhardt's early golf experience. I would have expected it to be "Divot" sytem ( I duck and slink away)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: