• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The Princess and the Princes

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: The Princess and the Princes Reply with quote

About a month ago my 3-year-old was invited to his buddy Melanie's 3rd birthday party. He is one of three boys and does boy things. Girl things do not interest him at all!

Melanie's party was a Princess party and my 3-year-old did not want to have anything to do with it. I said, "there will be a Princess and several Princes there". He yelled, "I don’t want to be a Princess!". I said, "No. I mean you will be a Prince and there will be one or two other Princes there". He yelled louder, "I don’t want to be a Princess!!" I said, you get to be Prince Ali from Aladin and then I started singing the Prince Ali song and got him to start laughing. Eventually he was excited about getting to be a Prince!

I started thinking about this…

Princess vs. Princes

For those of us that are English speaking and have been spelling for longer than we can remember, the difference between these two words is very clear, even when spoken. For a 3-year-old who can't distinguish the subtle difference between these words, it means wearing a dress out in public! No wonder he got mad at me!

Relating this back to trumpet playing, how many players who hear a trumpet sound are unable to perceive the difference between a loud sound versus a resonant sound? They would fall into this same position of not understanding the subtle difference between the two sounds, just like the 3-year-old with the word Princess and Princes.

In a recent article by Craig Morris, entitled Fundamentally Speaking he discusses the importance of spending time every day with “foundation” exercises. He mentions James Thompson and James Stamp and says that, "this book is perhaps the most misunderstood and misused book in the trumpet community. When done properly, though, these exercises can be a great way to establish balance and center in one’s playing."

It took me years to understand what to listen for in my own sound to be able to distinguish a "loud" sound from a resonant sound (and finding my center). I felt very much like my 3-year-old when my instructors would model a sound and then have me play. The would say, "There! Do you hear the resonance? That's what I want!" The problem was I really couldn't "hear" what was different from behind the bell. Princess…Princes?

I could write about my experience with these subtleties all day and provide quotes from very prominent players. I don't want to do that though.

Just out of curiosity, what have you done to find your resonance? If you haven't found it yet, please know that in time and with enough concentrated focus everyday, you will get closer to seeing the Princes for the Princess!

Last edited by Derek Reaban on Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:00 pm; edited 3 times in total
ralphnz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the main streets here is Princes Street. People always call it Princess. The fools.
Lo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ i don't think that was the point of the post but that's funny. lol
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, that’s exactly the point that I’m trying to make. Many people think that the sound they are producing is a full, strong, resonant sound when actually it is merely a “loud” sound (very strong in the fundamental but lacking many of the overtones that gives sound character, maturity, and carrying power).

I know that I fit into this model for the majority of my time playing the horn!

I could clearly hear the difference between players that had this great sound versus the players that were just missing the resonant center when I would go to concerts, or hear them in ensembles or masterclasses. The problem for me was that, from behind the bell, I couldn’t perceive a difference between these two types of sound when I was playing. And I really thought that I was generating that great vibrant, resonant quality! I was shouting ”Princess” with all the confidence in the world and I’m sure everyone was thinking ”Doesn’t he mean PRINCES”.

What initially helped me the most in getting this sound happening in my own playing, surprisingly wasn’t sitting next to my fantastic instructors. They are outstanding models, but to get my foot in the door (away from loud and into “vibrant, resonant, and colorful”) I have to credit two players and their approach to sound production for their very first notes of a rehearsal.

I played a musical with a player from Tucson (Rob Gappinger I believe). He was playing some simple lip slurs between second line G and low C. They were soft, light, and VERY clear. Nothing was forced or too loud to begin his first notes of the evening (he was an engineer and has chosen trumpet as an avocation as I have). I studied his sound very carefully, because I knew that this was absolutely NOT how I would play that simple exercise. It was delicate, and it seemed he was just “letting” his sound develop. He wasn’t really controlling anything, just letting it come out. His sound was very vibrant and strong after he got going (he was playing lead and I was playing second). Seeing him begin so gently really got me to thinking. He allowed me to get my foot in the door to resonance.

The other player that I look back at (I was too slow to pick up on what he was doing at the time) was our own Dave Bacon. At every Wind Ensemble rehearsal, he and I would show up about the same time (half an hour before the downbeat to get warmed-up). He would always start with a very gentle approach to sound production. I was always playing rather loud in comparison (thinking I was producing a big resonant sound). He would gradually expand his gentle approach higher and higher in this really cool arpeggio drill that I’ve never heard anyone else ever play. When we would share the lead part, I always remember thinking, "his dynamic is well under mine...I’d better play out a little more".

Well, I have gone back and listened to CDs of this group with Dave playing principal. Holy Cow! His sound could have covered the band in an instant if he would let it. On tunes where I was playing principal, I would be heard, but just barely. Peter Bond would say, "I think of resonance as the quality which differentiates a musical sound from a 'noise on pitch.'". That was me..."Noise on Pitch". Man, it’s so frustrating to think back to this and realize "I was shouting out PRINCESS" but what I really meant to shout out was "PRINCES".

Dave would always say, "Roar Softly". It took me years to understand this!

My point with this post was to show how subtle this difference is between vibrancy and "loud" when it comes to sound production. Resonance is a still small voice that will be trampled if you are trying to generate a powerful, strong, big sound. That was the trap that I fell into for years. I finally slowed down and started listening to that still small voice. You will miss it in a heartbeat if you are in a hurry. If you embrace this gentle sound every time you sit down to play, what comes out the bell will astound you!

Last edited by Derek Reaban on Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
davidk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting post, Derek! That is a great way to describe that issue! Unfortunately, I'm not sure if it is something that can be taught or not... you almost have to have that personal "eureka!" moment to get it. I think this ties in with the issue of truly knowing what kind of sound you want to have and constantly striving to achieve it.
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

You Wrote:
Quote:

Unfortunately, I'm not sure if it is something that can be taught or not... you almost have to have that personal "eureka!" moment to get it.

Thanks for your comments! This is a really difficult concept to relate to players that have only heard recordings of great players but have never had the opportunity to sit beside a player that rings a very resonant quality in their sound. When someone is trying to generate the sound that they hear on recordings from “behind the bell” and then wonder why the conductor is asking for more “volume” when they can hear a loud sound coming back at them, it must be very confusing!

I guess the reason that I wrote about this is because this is the best example that I have come across that highlights the subtle sound difference to the “player” and stresses that the “mixed” message that is sent out to the audience.

How can a player know that what is coming out of there bell isn’t what they think it is? That eureka moment came for me when I heard a concert at Symphony Hall. My instructor playing in a brass quintet (his sound is amazingly present) and I had played in groups with the player that was on second trumpet (also an amazing player but with a different sound quality). I was shocked, that I couldn’t hear the 2nd player at all! That was when I really began to study the sound behind the bell versus the sound out in the hall (I knew both of their sounds very well from behind the bell).

I began to realize that my own sound (tone) needed some serious attention, and the message that I was delivering to the audience was “shrouded” at best compared to the clear, ringing message that my instructor was delivering. I knew that I had a good sound (everyone told me that I did). The problem is that a good sound (from behind the bell) is very different from a sound that projects into the hall (at least it was for me).

My point in posting this is simply to spark awareness in players that may not have experienced this subtle difference from behind the bell. The subtlety very quickly becomes magnified to the audience though, and being heard half as well or a quarter as well as you might think is very humbling.

I realize that quite a few players just naturally gravitate to this sound, so they will say they’ve always just heard that sound in their heads. I’d love to hear other’s stories about when they stumbled onto this realization, like I have.
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Wife was getting ready for a trip to Tucson to take my boys to Vacation Bible School and printed out a lot of pictures to do some scrap booking. I happened to see the pictures of the Princess Party (with my little Prince) and thought I would include them here. He was the only Prince!

The Prince Arriving at the Party

With the Princesses

The Party Favor (Weapon)

The Princess Looking On

Goodbye

Jim-Wilson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek,

You have a fine looking prince! Thanks for bringing your post back to the top and sharing something of your fine young man.

I actually remembered your post - it is a great illustration. At the time I was just starting my comeback from 36 years away from the trumpet. I sounded like a bad 4th grader that had just picked up the horn. I didn't have a clue what resonance was or sounded like. In my grade school/high school playing years I had become fairly technically proficient with reading, articulation, range and had a fairly decent sound but I'm pretty sure I didn't know "resonance" at all.

davidk wrote about resonance:

Quote:
you almost have to have that personal "eureka!" moment to get it.

My "Eureka!" moment with resonance was really just a few weeks ago. I'd been working at it but hadn't really picked up on what it was. I would read folks talking about it and even their manipulating the balance of overtones (I'm still not sure that's possible but hopefully will have another eureka moment with that concept in the future).

Now the challenge is to coordinate playing in tune with playing at the resonant center of the pitch. My teacher has been insisting on using the slides on A's, E's, D's and C#'s and I kept thinking (and I even told him a time or two) "I can play that in tune without the slides". It's only after my eureka! moment that I understand the "why" of slides. BTW, my eureka moment is the background to my recent rants about our horns and their intonation. I'll be giving that a rest - I've probably worn out my welcome on that one (though my personal quest will be for a new horn someday with the best of evenness of intonation).

Thanks again for all your posts and especially the thoughtful insights you continue to share. Enjoy your kids/family, they grow up way too fast!

Jim
Upstatetpt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An Excellent Topic!! I have a student who comes in and just wails away at FFF all the time. His attacks are like a sledge hammer hitting a steel wall and it's all I can do to sit there and listen to that. I try to explain that I'd rather hear a FULL, RESONANT sound, rather than just loud. I've given him some flow studies to work on (softly), and some Caruso to help him dial in his aperture. Whenever I talk about playing he nods and smiles, as if he knows it all already and he's just letting me talk so I can feel like I'm earning my $20. As soon as I ask him to play he just starts wailing again

Anyway, that's not really what I wanted to talk about. I just wanted to say that playing with a resonant sound, for me, is not simply hearing it out of the bell, but feeling the resonance through my whole body. When my sound isn't as full as it should be I know there is some unnecessary tension somewhere in my body - or my breathing is off. When it sounds good, it feels good - and vice-versa.

"The Legend of Bagger Vance" was on late-night TV a few nights ago and I needed to unwind so I let myself get sucked into it. Yes, it's a cheesy movie about golf being the greatest game, blah, blah... But some of the concepts "Bagger" talks about (finding your natural, "authentic" swing) are very real and pertinent to a lot of things - like blowing the horn.

My 2 cents...
soundnmind

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eureka! moment:

My graduate school audition consisted of a "lesson-type" atmosphere where I was fortunate enough to play and receive critique from the trumpet professor. After performing the first piece, it only took one word from him to bring my sound to another level: color.

This allowed me to open my ears and listen for what I thought to be "colorful," full, resonant, open, focused, centered, etc. Rather than thinking of these descriptions separately, color seemed to capture it all.

Needless to say, I was accepted and will begin regular study in August

Thanks Derek for your insightful topics!
RBtrumpet08
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, well I guess I shall be the first one here to post that he hasn't had this EUREKA! Oh well. I guess it can be said that I've only been playing 2 years, so I still have time. I am curious, however, about the difference between a resonant sound and an open one. Is there a difference? I think I understand and am working toward a nice open tone, but I don't know exactly about resonant. I feel that I play with an open tone, one that seems to, for one, sound best. But also, it seems to kind of 'lock in' if you might say. I tried the moving from tight to loose lips to find where it feels and sounds best, and I try to play in that more middle zone. Is there any way you can describe how you feel you are getting this resonant tone, and how an open sound relates to it?

Thanks!

-Sam still trying to find a resonant sound
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam,

When I’m playing and everything is clicking, my resonant sound feels like I’m hardly working to produce the sound. There is very little effort involved in getting the sound to jump out of the horn. If I’m not resonating, there is a lack of vibrancy or overtones in the sound, and then I feel like I have to play “louder” to get the sound out. This effort just kills the sound. Working hard will almost always indication there is tension somewhere and your sound is just off the mark.

It looks like you are from Cincinnati based on your profile. If you really want to see how your “open” sound compares to what I consider a resonant sound, give this a try. Get together with several friends and work up a simple excerpt, portion of a solo, hymn, or etude in the middle register of the horn (let’s say between low C and 4th space E). When everyone has spent some time getting comfortable with this, find a big open room and set up a minidisk recorder on the far side of the room. Have each player play the piece with the others listening close to the recorder and agree on a comfortable dynamic.

When you are happy with your recording, schedule a group lesson with one of the players from the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra:

Philip Collins – Principal Trumpet
Steven Pride
Douglas Lindsay - Associate Principal
Christopher Kiradjieff - Assistant Principal

Find a big room for the lesson and take in your prepared piece. Set up the recorder and each of you play as you did before and then have the CSO player play the same piece at the agreed on dynamic. Check out the needle on the recorder as you all stand on the other side of the room!

Then have a lesson on sound production and talk about ways to get more resonance in your sound. This will be the best way to get a first hand experience of what I’m talking about and you and your friends will be literally shocked at how powerful a tool focusing on resonance over volume can be.

Hope this helps!
Jim-Wilson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam,

As an "old" neophyte on the trumpet I'm not the best one to use words to describe what I've felt to be my more "resonant" sound. But, since I'm the one you are referring to I'll jump in (this is not a defense). I'm certain there are many more who will be better descriptors of their "resonant" sound and I'm also certain my feeble attempts to explain will provide adequate fodder (and perhaps laughs) for further discussion.

So, the "resonant center" I feel I'm finally playing involves several different things of note to me - the order does not necessarily reflect their relative importance. First of all, when I'm "there" the sound becomes louder without any effort to add more air/play stronger, etc. Associated with this is a definite "ring" (I think Doc Severinsen calls it "Brrr...") which is very high pitched (increasing the sampling rate playing into my laptop using Audacity displays resonance spikes up to 45kHz which is the max I can sample - this goes away if I play "off center" or with excessive pressure so I really think it truly is improved resonance in my tone). I've been impressed at how "tight" the center is on some notes - just the most subtle adjustment in lip pressure, lip positioning relative to the teeth or the airstream through the lips will destroy it - that doesn't mean the sound goes bad but it loses that special character (color, fullness, resonance, etc.). Another thing of note is a feeling of "freedom" in my lips - actually an easing of the effort required to sustain the tone. Also, I usually note a greater "tingle" in my lips when I've stopped playing from the resonant center. One other thing of note is that when I play arpeggios that I feel I'm keeping centered, the notes just "pop out" much more easily and clearly.

All of that being said, there is no doubt I don't know it all and have much to learn and may be "off" in my own assessment of my playing. I've been studying with an Eastman trained orchestral player and have not been to him since my "Eureka" moment to get his take concerning any potential change in my playing - hopefully time will allow for that soon.

I'm certain that many would say you need someone (a good teacher) to assist you in your quest for a fuller, more resonant sound. I wish you success in that endeavor.

Jim
Jim-Wilson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note to all,

Apparently Derek was posting while I was composing my response. I am just now reading his post which just came before mine - really!

Jim
RBtrumpet08
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, yes, I'm a teen and should know all about technology but I don't have any experience with minidisc recorders... in fact I couldn't even tell you what one looked like. Well now I can since I just google image searched, but I don't understand what you mean the needle.

It might not matter that much since unfortunately I don't have the money, nor enough trumpet playing friends that would be willing to do that. I wish I could, but sorry.

This is partly on topic, yet partly off.....

I usually practice in my bedroom: carpet, clothes everywhere , mattresses, and its probably 20 feet or so by about 12 feet. (Both my brother and I use it). When I play, my sound goes like nowhere. I notice a huge difference, however, when I play in either my kitchen or living room. These resonate a lot more and personally, it is there that I feel I sound great. I know this is a normal reaction for probably everybody, but how much do you think my practicing normally in a "sound killing" room would affect my tone.
mcamilleri
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That "Brrrr" is I think a very important clue, especially for players starting out trying to play with more resonance. I am quite sure that a lot of players have heard this "Brrr" at times in their own playing and then quickly backed away from it as it sounds harsh, and not at all like those deliciously dark, rich sounds you hear in recordings or in concerts from great players.

Trouble is, you don't get that rich, dark, sound out front without that "Brrr". If you go for that rich dark sound behind the bell you will sound dull, woofy, and fuzzing out front. If you go for that rich, dark sound behind the bell by using big mouthpieces, you will also sound dull out front.

Recently I switched to a GR MX cup, after a very long 2 year safari (both playing and equipment). It didn't give me much difference initially but it made me feel how I was manipulating my chops to play a 1.5C (my previous best choice). A month or so on with the MX cup and the manipulation is much reduced, my tuning slide has moved in about 1/4", intonation is much improved, and the sound, oh man! When I get it right the sound is amazing and it feels effortless. The sound is much more resonant and richer. It sounds both richer and more brilliant at the same time (I know, sounds like a contradiction, but it isn't). It projects much better too, and fff (e.g. Capricio Italiano) just has this big, brilliant sound, very loud but not harsh at all.

I suppose the point is that to get that resonant sound you need good playing habits AND good equipment that matches you. It may take a while to find the best balance for you, with many steps along the way. Good intonation is a big clue.

Start hunting that "Brrr". Don't be afraid of it - cultivate it. When you can find it consistently, ask someone to listen to your playing in a big room, or record yourself. You have to change your mental concept of good sound behind the bell to develop resonance.

Michael
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam,

Quote:

…but I don't understand what you mean the needle

Think about the speedometer on your car, and the needle is what is pointing at your current speed. Your recorded example might show 30 MPH and the pro from the CSO might show 120 MPH. Except instead of MPH the gauge on the minidisk recorder is measuring decibels. A cassette deck will work just as well (maybe your school has one).

If the cost or logistics of getting this equipment is prohibitive, you can still get one or two other players to work up something simple (maybe one of the 150 Melodies from Arban). If you share the cost of a group lesson with one or two other friends (your Parent’s might even spring for it if you go to the work to organize this outing), it probably wouldn’t be more than $20-25 per person. The “Eureka” experience that you will get from doing this will be beyond your wildest comprehension! I’m very serious. Contact one of these players and tell them what you are interested in doing and they may even give you a break on the price if it’s a one time deal (for educational purposes).

Quote:

I usually practice in my bedroom: carpet, clothes everywhere , mattresses, and its probably 20 feet or so by about 12 feet. (Both my brother and I use it). When I play, my sound goes like nowhere. I notice a huge difference, however, when I play in either my kitchen or living room. These resonate a lot more and personally, it is there that I feel I sound great. I know this is a normal reaction for probably everybody, but how much do you think my practicing normally in a "sound killing" room would affect my tone.

I’ve written about this in detail before in a post called Is my practice room deceiving me? but from the perspective of a great practice room. If you are trying to compensate for a less than ideal acoustic by over blowing to make you sound better (get more ring, vibrancy, brr, etc.), then definitely it is hurting you. If you can’t find a better place to practice, simply sit in a corner with your bell facing a wall, and let that feedback help you to “work less hard”.

Have you read either of these posts that I've submitted in the past:

David Krauss Clinic
Resonant Sound

They will help you too! Good luck!
RBtrumpet08
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I will check out those posts! No I don't think I'm overblowing to play to my room. I've more just gotten accostummed my sound being more dulled in that room. Sometime's I'll have fun because if I aim it into the corner, it will have an echo.

Sorry, I don't have any trumpet friends that would be willing to spend $20 on that. Neither do I have access to either of those recorders. I might be able to do something similar, whenever our band fiiiinally installs the recording system in our band room, but that could be forever .

Thanks again for all your help! One question.... how do you have time to practice or even perform between helping all our helpless souls?!
RBtrumpet08
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok.... So far in your posts, there is one thing that has really stuck out at me: play in a nice resonant room in which you feel you sound really good. Think about what that dynamic is and how much effort you are putting into it. Now move into a room such as my bedroom where it is all dampened, or even just outside and play the same exact way. Resist temptation to blow harder or louder. This is how you should play!

Is that all correct?
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam,

Quote:

Ok.... So far in your posts, there is one thing that has really stuck out at me: play in a nice resonant room in which you feel you sound really good. Think about what that dynamic is and how much effort you are putting into it. Now move into a room such as my bedroom where it is all dampened, or even just outside and play the same exact way. Resist temptation to blow harder or louder. This is how you should play!

Is that all correct?

Yep! That’s the idea. Focusing on the resonant “brrr” or ringing quality will help to keep the “volume” in check and will allow your sound to project more easily.

Quote:

Sorry, I don't have any trumpet friends that would be willing to spend $20 on that.

Well, that stinks! Maybe you could go to a concert with your family to get a feel for that sound out in the hall. The trick to understand is that what you hear in the hall is very different than what the sound is like behind the bell. That’s why it’s so important to at some point in the future find a way to sit beside one of these players (if you really are interested in finding more “center” in your sound).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: