• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Method Books

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goldenchops55
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2001 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know of any really good method Books to get for trumpet? I am particularly interested in something for building range and something for building technical skills. I already have Arbans. I am getting Earl D. Irons 27 Groups of Exercises. Any suggestions? Thanks. Oh, and by the way could you please provide me with the site to buy it from??
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2001 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a site to order music from, I would recommend JW Pepper (www.jwpepper.com). They have just about everything, or else can get it. They provide excellent info about shipping and provide many shipping options. They have always been very prompt in getting my orders to me since I live in Alabama and one of the places they ship from is Georgia.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
Pat
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2001 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are alot of good books out there. One set that I think is good, especially if you don't have a teacher, is David Hickman's "Trumpet Lessons." There are 5 volumes (although each is only 20 to 30 pages and cost $8 to $10)

I Tone Production
II Embouchure Formation and warm up
III Range, Endurance and Power
IV Articulation (fingering and tonguing)
V Psychology of Performance

There is text to explain how and why you are doing certain exercises --You do have to use the Hickman set in conjunction with other studies. Also look at David Bilger's master class notes where he suggests particular books for the different tecnical aspects of trumpet playing. Its on the rawbrass site under technique.

Robert King Music near Boston specializes in Brass music, and Hickeys in upstate New York has an extensive brass catalogue. Both are online.
Goldenchops55
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2001 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks for the replies.
What about the Tasteebros. books?? Are they any good?
Redhothorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2001 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have thoroughly enjoyed:
(1) The Maggio System For Brass
(range/endurance builder)
and
(2) Claude Gordons Systematic Approach which is used in conjunction with Clarke's Technical Studies;Colin Lip Flexibilities;St. Jacomes;Walter Smith Lip Flexibilities etc. This book lays out 52 separate lessons for you to follow that work on technique ... endurance ... tone and range.
Matt Graves
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2002 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by Matt Graves on Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
AK

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2002 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with everything that redhothorn said, but I would also add Max Schlossberg:Daily Drills and Technical Studies.
1B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Allen Vizzutti books are excellent. Volume 1 is like a modern Clarke technical studies, as he puts all exercises in major, minor, whole tone, and diminished. Volume 3 is great for etudes and duets.
1B
johntpt
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought 2 newer trumpet method books. The first is by Konradin Groth, former principal of the Berlin Phil, called Etudes on New Tonguing and Breathing Techniques. Wow! What a book! If you're looking to improve your multiple tonguing and have already worked through Arban and Vizzuti this is your book. Groth emphasizes working on accenting the K syllable so it sounds as strong as the T. Vizzuti includes studies along these lines, but Groth gives you many more. At the same he has you working on breath attacks interspersing H attacks among T and K attacks. Highly recommended.

I also bought the new method by Maurice Andre. Unfortunately I haven't spent much time with this one yet except to read the text. It looks to be mainly a series of daily excercises for maintaining technique.

I believe both are available from Sheet Music Service of Portland.

John Urness
NelleTrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello-

I use Clarke’s Technical Studies and the James Stamp warm ups every day! Most of the Clarke’s can be played in major, minor, diminished, and whole tone patterns, slurred, tongued, multiple tongued, etc. Once you have them memorized, you can start learning them using these other scale patterns and articulations. I also play out the Concone Complete Solfeggi (edited by John Korak), which has some nice lyrical tunes in it and doubles as a good book for transposition practice. I don’t believe anyone has mentioned Colin’s Lip Flexibilities in this string, and though I don’t own it myself, I’ve heard great things about it for building range, endurance, and obviously, flexibility. Michael Sachs, principal trumpet of the Cleveland Orchestra, recently published a book called Daily Fundamentals for the Trumpet, which is probably quite good given his caliber as a player. Also, for etude work, there are several books of etudes by Sigmund Herring that you might look into. These books vary in difficulty so you can probably find one suited to your technical ability. Other books good for technical and lyrical etude work are Clarke’s characteristic studies, the 14 Characteristic Studies and Variations in the Arban’s book, and Charlier’s Etudes Transcendantes. Also, though these are not range exercises per se, you can always work on your range by just transposing the exercises/etudes higher and higher! Then you can work on two skills at once. Hope this information is helpful!
PStephens

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure which Arban's book to get. Should I get Complete Method for trumpet or should I get complete conservatory method for trumpet? What's the difference?
OzTrumpeteer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that every trumpet player should have Arban's Complete Conservatory Method (the one with the lyrical studies), Schlossberg's Daily Drills, and Clarke's Technical Studies. The Concone lyrical studies are good, too.

But it's also worth checking out as many different books you can get your hands on, as you never know what you can glean from them.
Keith Wood

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Goldenchops,
I recommend the series of 4 books by Harold Mitchell. They are available at Robert King Music ( http://www.alphonseleduc.com/ ). 84 lessons in all, starting with basic whole notes and slurs, progressing, in the 4th book to G above high C in all settings: scales, intervals, arpeggios of all types, and flexibility studies. It is a very MUSICAL series, and there is also a book of warm-ups.
I would also recommend (for sound, range) the "Double High C in 37 Weeks" book by Roger Spaulding. I know there are tons of folks who would disagree with me, but it worked for me, although I did not follows Mr. Spaulding's directions. Not many folks have 37 weeks of free time these days! I used his book in 1997 for a full year while doing my regular playing things. If you have questions, please e-mail me and I will be happy to visit with you. The "37 Weeks" site is http://www.highnotestudios.com. All the best to you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: