• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Starting an Orchestral recording collection.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AK

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What 5 or so orchestral recordings would you buy to start a collection?

Thanks.
tcutrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a tough question! I would definitely include one if not two of the early Reiner/Chicago symphony recordings such as Pictures at an Exhibition or the Strauss tone poems. They sound terrific and Bud Herseth is the man on principal trumpet. I would also include one of the Cleveland/Boulez recordings of either Mahler 7 or Stravinsky's Rite of Spring and Petrouschka. Both are amazing and I believe Michael Sachs plays principal on both recordings. You probably also want something with the New York Philharmonic and either Bernstein conducting or the more recent stuff with Phil Smith playing principal trumpet. He sounds amazing. You might want to pick up his "Orchestral Excerpts" CD. It is a fantastic CD to begin learning the trumpet repetoire from. His style, tone, and rhythmic precision are flawless. Those are the big American orchestras that are definitely worth owning many CDs of. The European orchestra sounds quite a bit different than the American orchestra, but the sound is still very good. I suggest getting a recording of Berlin Philharmonic, doesn't matter much which one, I've never heard a bad one! Also, check out the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra of Amsterdam playing Mahler 5. It is top notch! These are a few of my favorite groups and recordings. I hope it helps a bit!

matt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
auarch

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good suggestions above. There is a bit of an obscure CD that I highly recommend, it is a recording of Respighi's Church Windows, Brazilian Impressions, and Roman Festivals by the Cincinnati Symphony under Jesus Lopez-Cobos. I was extremely impressed with the brass on this CD, a welcome surprise from the Cincinnati Symphony. Church Windows is especially fun, and not too well known in the Respighi works. I also love the Pines, Fountains, and Festivals CD from the NY Philharmonic under Sinopoli, my personal favorite recording of the works. As for Richard Strauss, there's a great CD including Sinfonia domestica and Death and Transfiguration by the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra under Maazel. It's a tad spotty at times in terms of intonation (how can you blame them with the finale of domestica?), but the horn (french horn) playing on that finale is jaw-dropping. Another of my favorites is the L.A. Philharmonic's recording of Bruckner #4 under Salonen. Coolstuff, L.A. is coming on strong as a great ensemble. Hope these are helpful and do check out the Cincinnati Symphony's recordings, they've produced a lot of the CDs I happen to listen to the most.
Brewblue1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with auarch's assesment of the LA recording of Bruckner 4. It's quite good!!

Check out the Montreal/Dutoit recordings of Petroushka and Song of the Nightengale, Bartok Concerto for Orchestra, and The Planets.(3 separate CDs) All have outstanding performances by James Thompson on principal trpt!!

Decca just re-released a recording of Boston/Ozawa performing Mahler 1 that has the original 2nd mvmt (Blumine) with Armando Ghitalla playing the beautiful trumpet solo!! I got it at Tower Records. Been looking for that one for years!!

Could go on forever, but just thought Id point out these excellent recordings.

Have fun collecting!!!
david johnson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ak:

5 recordings to build a collection on -

la mer by debussy
sym 5 - beethoven
the rite of spring - stravinsky
stokowski bach transcriptions
mahler sym 1
check a good sounding budget label (naxos) to stretch the $$
don't forget piano music

dj
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Recordings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: