• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

pedel tone problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cornetguy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: pedel tone problem Reply with quote

i like the stamp studies, but i find when i do them the amount of pedel tones distort my embouchure and i wind up having playing problems. what am i doing wrong with the pedel tones

thanks
airdyn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: pedel tone problem Reply with quote

cornetguy wrote:
i like the stamp studies, but i find when i do them the amount of pedel tones distort my embouchure and i wind up having playing problems. what am i doing wrong with the pedel tones

thanks

You may wish to pose this question in The Reinhardt Forum. Dr. Reinhardt was VIOLENTLY opposed to pedal tones. Go there and find out why.
airdyn
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with the Stamp method, but coming from a Balanced Embouchure approach, the pedal tones need to be balanced with notes which require the lips to roll in (as opposed to having them roll out with pedal tones). Also, I've found that pedal tones benefit me the best when I do them very last in my practice.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
Jansu
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that pedal tones center my embouchure, as in they help me find where the best sound/response is. It's hard to analyze what you are doing wrong. Are you playing the exercises correctly, and are you playing the pedals with the same set as in the 'normal' range of the horn. Ask a teacher in your area who is into pedals...
BStrad43
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.livmusic.com/index.html

Check out his articles on "Stamping it Out". I have been messing around with this for about a month and it has made me aware of my chops and taught me to play more efficient. The goal is to keep a set face when playing in all the registers. Good luck.

Kevin
swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cornetguy,

I'd suggest you make sure that you're doing the pedal notes correctly -- a teacher (who can hear and see what you're doing) should be able to help you with this. That said, here are a few comments.

I initially found it a LOT easier to play pedal tones incorrectly than to play them correctly. Make sure that you are not distorting your embouchure as you go into the pedal range (see Jansu's comment above). One of the big benefits I get from the Stamp I use is that my entire playing range is connected -- what I learned in connecting the pedal range to the normal range seems to have transferred to connecting my mid-range to my high range (such as it is).

I like the "Stamping It Out" discussion to which BStrad43 linked, and the Poper book (I finally got a copy!) also has some good clarification of the approach.

mafields627,

Many of the Stamp exercise start in low- to mid-register, descend down to the pedal range, and in many cases go gradually to the upper end of one's register. By the end of some exercises, I'll start at a low C, descend to the pedal C below that, and then go up to a C or E above the staff -- with a single set. (Yeah, I don't have a super range ...) I don't think about roll in and roll out, but I'm guessing that exercises like this accomplish the balance you're talking about.
MrGBand
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to watch out for with the pedal exercises is the jaw. Make sure you are not playing the pedal tones by openning your jaw up more than normal. I believe Popper suggest that the only movement the jaw should make is a slight push foward.
Pic Yahama 6810s
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> James Stamp All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: