• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

goedicke concert etude

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2002 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you guys know by know whenever I'm going to perform a "legit" piece I usually ask for your help and how i should approach it when I'm going to practice it. Last year I worked with the Haydn trumpet concerto and know this year for solo and ensemble I am going to do the goedicke concert etude. I can pretty much play the piece when it comes to notes but what are some of the things that I should do to make it into music? What are things that i should or shouldn't do with the piece?? And can you guys give me a little history on the piece or the composer so that i can get a better understanding of the piece.

Thanks for any help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2002 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That piece has 2 distinct parts - I would play the double tonguing parts light and crisp and with good speed - molto allegro is marked(although maintaining control and good articulation at all times) and not too loudly.Good, crisp fingering is needed.I play it lightly yet rather furiously.Show much contrast between these two aspects of the piece. Build toward the end with a strong finish on the F, F# and A(also note the pesante and ritardando at that point ) as you approach the trills.These need to be built toward and represent the "climax" of the excitement of the piece. Note the crescendo and decrescendo markings throughout the piece - they tend to flow with rise and fall in the notes as you go along). Good dynamics and dynamic changes will help to give the piece the appropriate "effect." - especially in the double tongued sections. The other section is cantabile - in a broad, expansive, singing style - make much contrast between the two.
After the trills, return to a soft, light articulation and phrasing. The last several measures as you move toward the ending measure become soft and light - yet molto allegro but diminuendo as you approach the final two measures.
I believe this piece is a study in double tonguing with the two lyrical contrasts. It is an "etude" and as such is a sort of technical study. I feel a sort of tension throughout the piece which is partially released in the cantabile sections and then fully released at the point just before and at the trills and is then the tension returns until the end.
I think the piece has sort of a "mysterious" and even "dark" sound in the allegro portions, especially with the piano accompaniment. The piano accompaniment is very interesting and helpful when played by a skilled pianist - a good accompanist is needed on this piece.
I have played the piece for many years, starting in high school. It is a great one - best wishes with it.
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2002 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My copy of the piece, which includes the piano accompaniment, has three introductory paragraphs about the piece and the composer on the inside of the front cover. Do you have that information?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: