• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

NEW EDITION OF MENDEZ BIOGRAPHY

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Rafael Méndez
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: NEW EDITION OF MENDEZ BIOGRAPHY Reply with quote

I have sold quite a few copies of the new edition of the Mendez biography, MAGNIFICENT MENDEZ.

I have not heard any comments about this new edition, though.

What are your thoughts?

Dave Hickman

www.HickmanMusicEditions.com
Happy Canuck
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, as soon as mine arrived it went into the Christmas present stack. I'll post a comment either Christmas or Boxing Day.

Sure would like to peek at it tho!

Olds trumpets/GR Butcher 65.6M
Olds cornets/Sparx 4B
Olds Flugelhorn/GR leadpipe/GR Butcher 65.6FL
dlyren
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be curious to know what people think, too!
Spit valve

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished reading Magnificent Mendezthis week. I really enjoyed it. In addition to providing an overview of his career, the authors do a great job of presenting Mendez the man, loving husband, and father. He seems like what I would call "a nice guy".

One correction (page 62): "It was during the mid-1950s that he again visited Herbert L Clarke looking for pointers." Clarke died in 1945.

The way I heard the story was that much earlier in his career, while Clarke was soloist with the Sousa Band, Mendez approached Clarke and asked for lessons. After hearing Mendez play, Clarke's replied, "Young man, I should be taking lessons from you."

The trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.
trpt.hick

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The typo should have said 1930s. Sorry about that!

Mendez had his first horrific embouchure accident in 1932. He went to Schlossberg, Walter Smith, and Herbert Clarke, all of which could not help him. Mendez then went to Mexico and studied with his father. After nine months of pedal tones, Mendez could play again and went back to his job in Detroit. After a few weeks, chop problems began to bother him again, so he went back to Mexico and studied/practiced more (mainly on pedal tones).

Mendez returned to the US after a couple of months and continued his career without any problems. A few years later, in 1938, Mendez had an opportunity to play for Clarke. Clarke couldn't believe how well he played, especially in view of how he played in 1932 (he could hardly make a sound on the horn). Clarke listened to Mendez play several fast technical solos and then told him that he could not teach him anything. He also autographed a copy of his Characteristic Studies which is in a display case in the Rafael Mendez Library at Arizona State University.

Clarke wrote a letter his friend Edwin Franco Goldman in which it said, "My Dear Ed: Have you heard the young Mexican trumpet player, Rafael Mendez? Such tone, such velocity. A hundred years from now they will have forgotten about us, but they will always the name Rafael Mendez."

Anyway, I'm happy to hear that you like the new edition. We added over 100 photos, concert programs, letters of correspondence, etc.

Dave Hickman
oj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

The new edition is superb!

I have mainly looked at all the photos and the programs, since I already had the first edition and had read that a copuple of times.

I will write about it (and about Mendez - his anniversary) in the first issue for 2006 of our Norwegain Trumpet Forum Newsletter.

Ole

P.S.
I've also been listening to some great brass playing lately: The Summit Brass (I got 2 CD's in the same packet as the new Mendez book)
Spit valve

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clarifying this. The story is interesting; glad to get it right.

Also in my package was the CD "Triptyque", music for trumpets and organ. Excellent! (Can you wear out a CD by playing it too much?) The production really produces a great balance between trumpets and organ.

The trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.
KansasTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the book mention anything about a man by the name of Lou Oberg (No idea what the actual spelling of his name is). Lou was I think around 80 when I met him a few years ago, and he spoke of playing extensively with Mendez. Lou was/is (no idea if he is still alive) a fantastic player. Even at his old age I was amazed at his playing.

www.DQsCustomShop.com

Find me on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Del-Quadro-Custom-Trumpets/188607601169514
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received a copy for Christmas. Actually, arrived two days after Christmas and I stayed up very late reading it. It is a wonderful book about a player that impacted so many other players and who was such a great human being as well. I highly recommend it. It is a must read for any trumpet player.

Mike
dlyren
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the book mentions anything about Lou Oberg. It's not a name I remember running across in any of my research.

Mike - glad you enjoyed the book!

Del Lyren
trpt.hick

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Del. I do not know the name Oberg, nor do I know of any connection with Mendez. Of course, there are MANY people Mendez knew and worked with that we have not record of in the library.

DH
HansRhee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: About the biography of Rafael Mendez Reply with quote

I reallyenjoyed the reading the book and looking at the pictures.
Thanks.
Claude1949
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. there has been only ONE Mendez in the world! No one like him then or now. Wynton and Sergei are great; but they are NO Mendez!!!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Rafael Méndez All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: