• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Welcome Charly!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2001 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charly,

Thanks for "stepping up" to the role of a moderator. Although we've never met, I've read everything you ever wrote and, whether agreeing with you or not (and most often I did!), there was never a doubt that you brought a voice of experience to the forum that has been much appreciated!

I guess I kind of helped your "out of the closet" experience long after your attackers on the old forum demanded to know repeatedly who you were, (based on the fact that they missed it when you told that information and missed it again when you told them you HAD told them--they didnt' do their homework, much to my continual amusement). They acted like you were a young kid who didn't know what he was saying but it was obvious to me that you did.

Its nice to have this section on the forum . . . you "Superchops Traitor!" Ha-ha-ha!

Warmest regards,

Tom Turner
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2001 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello to everyone,

I've never met Charly face-to-face, but I feel like I know him as well as anyone on this forum. When I first posted on TH, the only response I got was a private email from Charly, in which he calmly pointed out the obvious shortcomings of my post. I thought to my self, "Wow, I finally get enough nerve to enter the fray and I get nailed right out of the gate!" But his response was dead on - my post was poorly worded and somewhat condescending. And, he didn't seek to publicly embarass me - as I said, it was a private email.

Partly as a result, I have learned to be more careful when choosing words and clearer when explaining concepts.

Now, after exchanging dozens of emails, I have come to appreciate his wit, obvious intelligence, compassion towards others (although some flamers and overly emotional posters out there may disagree!), and passion for the instrument. He is a true giver, who like many others on this forum, gives disproportionately more than he receives.

For those of you unfamiliar with Charly, I invite you all to appreciate the depth of information that you are about to get - for free, no less. His Caruso knowledge may be second to none. And for those that choose to enter into a debate with him, I advise you to bring your brain.

Charly, thanks for everything. You've been a good friend and I'm happy to let everyone know it! Best of luck in this new gig.

Jeff Smiley
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2001 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom and Jeff,

Coming from two of the most thoughtful and articulate members on the forum, I am very flattered and appreciative of your supportive comments. I have always felt a bond of kinship with both of you guys (for a variety of reasons) and it's always nice to have a few friendlies in the audience. I hope that both of you will be contributors whenever it is appealing for you do to do so, and especially when you feel there are similarities between your own position and that which may be expressed on the Caruso forum. I know that both of you have strongly held and well founded opinions, but are still able to engage, with an open mind, a discussion of different or unfamiliar ideas in a rational and intelligent manner. Which makes for the best possible form of exchange. Besides the Caruso forum being a tool of exposition, I hope this type of exchange will become one of its hallmarks. It can with posters like the two of you.

Thanks again,

Charly

PS. Tom. Not a traitor but a thief! I read all the SC stuff to see what I might be able to use for myself.

[ This Message was edited by: bugleboy on 2001-12-03 23:34 ]
Lee Adams
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2001 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugleboy

I am glad that you chose to keep participating in the forum even after this past summer:)

For those who are new to the forum Jeff Smiley, and Tom Turner hit the nail on the head. In that Charly has engaged in many discussions where he took substantial flamming from some folks of the "anti embouchure" school. Charly has stood in the midst of some of the largest flame fests in forum history. I stepped in a few times(in my busiest season so I wasn't around the forum very much) to give him some support on very significant posts that he authored or was involved in. Where seemingly he had few participants to stand with him.

Fortunately in the middle of summer flamefest 2001 Jeff Smiley emerged in the forum with very impressive knowledge and understanding about embouchure and the importance of setting up the physical elements of playing the trumpet.
This added a reinforcement to Bugleboys, and the SC guys efforts that an efficient embouchure is in accordance with the laws of physics and sound production, and the word "embouchure" does not have to be an evil word surrounded by voodoo.
I also have chatted outside the forum numerous times with Charly. We have talked about a number of similarities between Super Chops and Caruso.

I am glad that the forum has the caliber of posters like Charly Raymond, Jeff Smiley, Tom Turner, and many others.

As always AAtozhvac@cs.com 706-347-2429

Lee Adams
The General
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2002 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really glad to see Charly heading up a Forum. I was able to meet Charly recently, and he CAN blow a Horn! As a matter of fact... he's blowin' better than ever, with his Northern Brass 63***. (Sorry for the plug, Charly!)

Seriously, sharing your knowledge with your fellow Trumpet Players is great!

I hope to see you again, my friend!

Best regards,
Bruce Lee
http://www.northernbrass.com

[ This Message was edited by: The General on 2002-01-05 20:03 ]
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2002 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce,

Once again, thanks for dropping over with all your mouthpiece pouches!

Check out my post in the SC forum under the thread "My lesson with Callet." Did I get all of that correct. I don't remember you mentioning that the DT in the DT-10 (from whence came the 63***) stands for Dave Trigg. But once people start trying this piece out, it should become your hottest seller, if it isn't already. I am getting great results in all registers right down to triple pedal E and up to triple C! If anyone wants to have a piece that really BURNS in the upper reg, this is the one, baby!

Regards,

Charly

[ This Message was edited by: bugleboy on 2002-01-05 20:25 ]
fzr Phil
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2002 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello guys.
seeing the company and content of the thread i feel obliged to post. It is amazing how well you get to know people over the pages of an internet forum. I endorse every comment above and can only add that i have personally found immeasuable value and insight from all of you, both in response to my own posts and after carefully folowing just about everything you all have had to offer. ( hair-splitting and other stuff)
the forum is a great leveller, and my playing has got some way to go yet. but with the help so far i believe i am on my way!

i guess i can 'go public' and say i just recieved a 63*** from bruce lee, and first impressions are good.

kind regards to all
Phil Martin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: