• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

WB Yamaha info

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
waynardb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: WB Yamaha info Reply with quote

Hi,
Thanks for all the kind words I've read on this site, It's truly appreciated.
Just to clear the air about the new Yamaha trumpet.
Bob Malone and I have spent about 2 years working on this horn.
It has gone in a few different directions since it's original conception and is now at the final manufacturing stage. There are 2 pre-production models and 1 prototype (my horn) that will be at IAJE & NAMM. There may be a couple more by NAMM, we値l see. I知 not sure what the price tag will be just yet. I知 hoping to get some of this information next week at IAJE.
In the design of this horn we used the Kanstul that I played (and loved) for 15 years for comparison every step of the way. I feel Bob has found all the things I liked about my Kanstul and put them in this instrument. Some of the improvements over the Kanstul are a better scale, better projection and a clearer sound especially at softer volumes. We did several blindfold tests and the Yamaha was picked superior every time.
I've been playing this horn solely for the last 5 months and loving it. Many of my colleagues have tried these horns and where very impressed with what Bob has done. Jens Lindemen borrowed one of the horns from me to use on a solo concert last month. I pretty much had to wrestle the horn away from him to get it back. Just for the record I知 not paid a dime by Yamaha to play this instrument. Yamaha does help fund school clinic/concerts but does not pay their artist to play their equipment.
Anyway, I hope this answers some questions.
By the way, I知 a trumpet geek just like the rest of you.

Best,

Wayne Bergeron
Karel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome on the forum Wayne! Always great when one of the world's leading trumpetplayers is on TH.
You mentioned you're a trumpetgeek so I gues you tried Dan Fornero's Hub van Laar trumpet. Just curious, what did you think of it?

Karel.
Mikeytrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wayne, thanks for the update. I am also excited about this new horn, as I feel it will work great with my new Yamaha Chicago C and New York Bb. I hope to see you the end of January when you are in Minneapolis, but it all depends on my gig schedule (gotta eat, you know....

Take care,

Mike
Ben17
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for the impressions of your new horn, and congratulations on all the hard work you've put in to this, now finally ready to come alive.
woo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wayne,
Nice having you on the TH. I am a big fan of yours as I am sure many on the TH are. Say hello to Sal Lazano and Alex Isles when you get a chance. I was in the Arcadia HS band with them. I was the only asian trumpet player in the school. I sucked pretty bad so they probably do not even remember me but I always remember both of them being very supportive. Tell them I knew both of them would make it big.
Wally
AZcoolhorn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update Wayne...hopefully this will end most of the speculation and rumors.

I know a lot of guys in town here who are salivating just waiting for your horn to be available...especially the ones who got to try out the prototype you had at the benefit concert we did last year in Phoenix.

Hope all is well with your family and work...talk to you soon!

Last edited by AZcoolhorn on Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total
the chief
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the horn plays as good as Wayne says it does, it must be a fine horn. The WB is one of my favorite Kanstul horns.
miles71
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see you Wayne, I am also a big fan. I have liked the yamaha instruments for some time now and am looking for one that fits the "overall" horn category. Sounds like this might be a contender.

Love to know if you are ever near Baltimore.
BradHarrison
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the post, Wayne! And welcome to the board. I think all of us would like it if you popped on now and again to weigh in on a few issues. Just try not to get sucked into any nasty arguments. They're addictive.
Mikester
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Wayne.

Since that day at Yamaha I spent with you and Bob, I have been waiting impatiently for this horn to be released!

Glad you posted here.

Will you be at ITG 2006 with the horn?

For everyone else, Wayne sounded better on the freshly assembled Yamaha than his Kanstul. More core and better projection according to my ear.

I think the horn may come with Wayne's famous high-A installed (or maybe not).

Can not wait to try the finished product!

Mike
Dan O'Donnell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wayne,

I'm glad you joined us!

Congratulations on your HUGE success!!!

You have certainly worked hard for it and you really deserve it!!!

Are you going to this years NAMM show in Anaheim when Yamaha unveils your new horn?

I'm sure all of the TH members that will be attending would like to talk with you.

I will be there next Saturday and I hope to see you again.

By the way...you sounded GREAT with the Big Phat Band at last year's Playboy Jazz Festival.

After all of these years...I am still one of your loyal students.

I still do the homework (Max Schlossberg etc.) that you assigned to me many years ago!

"Praise Him with the sound of the Trumpet:..."
Psalms 150:3
gtromble
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played the horn they have at IAJE last night. Actually, they have 2 -- one lacquered, one silverplate -- I played the silver one. It had a nice, smooth blow, more open than the 8310Z, but the horn had a similar weight and feel. I liked the horn, though it's impossible to tell much about it playing it a bit in the exhibition hall.

The Yamaha rep there told me that the horn has a .459 valve block, but a large bore tuning slide. The leadpipe is the same taper as the 8310Z, but starts with a larger venturi.

Parenthetically -- I was told by someone at the Kanstul plant that the 25, 25-O and 43 leadpipes were all made from the same mandrel. The difference was where the pipe was cut -- with the 25 cut closer to the small end, and the 43 cut off a bit further up where the pipe was larger.

Back to the Yamaha WB -- The bell is the same bell as the 8310Z -- side seam and french bead. Because the leadpipe is 'regular' as opposed to reversed on the 8310Z, the bell brace is a bit further forward.

Again -- this tech info is what the Yamaha rep told me.

Galen
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jonalan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any update on when this horn is due out yet? Or price range?

Also, I heard somewhere that the model number was YTR-8335LA. Is this accurate or will it be the Yamaha WB?
NTlead
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thanks for the post, Wayne! And welcome to the board. I think all of us would like it if you popped on now and again to weigh in on a few issues. Just try not to get sucked into any nasty arguments. They're addictive.

Who's gonna argue with Wayne?

Anyway, I couldn't agree more about you weighing on discussions if you ever have the time.
BradHarrison
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NTlead wrote:
Quote:

Who's gonna argue with Wayne?

Anyway, I couldn't agree more about you weighing on discussions if you ever have the time.

Well, considering some of the other professionals that have been argued with here....
silverstar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, I know this isn't the Lounge, but since you're new here, *hands WaynardB a pan of brownies*

Welcome to the TH!

Anyway, that trumpet sounds fantasitic! Thanks for posting about it, and it's always great to have great players like yourself posting here! Thanks for the post, and I hope to read more of your posts soon!

All the best,
Lara

I may falter, I may fall, but I will get back up and keep at it. Fall down 7 times, get up 8.
gtromble
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one I played had 8335WB stamped on the valve casing.

GT
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
gtromble
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think -- but could be off a teeny bit, that the list price was $2795. I noticed it was $3-400 more than the list on the 8310Z. These were the prices listed on the display tags at the IAJE yamaha booth.

GT
jonalan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gtromble wrote:
The one I played had 8335WB stamped on the valve casing.
GT

Thanks GT!

What horn do you usually play and how did the 8335WB compare? Also, have you ever tried a Kanstul 1600WB?

I'm really anxious to try one of these.
Clarkie
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha confirmed with me that the model number is YTR-8335LA for Lacquer and YTR-8335LAS for the silver version.

jonalan wrote:
Any update on when this horn is due out yet? Or price range?

Also, I heard somewhere that the model number was YTR-8335LA. Is this accurate or will it be the Yamaha WB?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: