• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Brass Sextet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
boofredlay
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in a group that has two trumpets, french horn, baritone, trombone and tuba. The Baritone and Trombone players are getting a bit tired of doubling parts.
We have searched for sextet music but not hard enough. Does anybody have any suggestions of charts to find? Or a site or two that might have a good selection of sextet music?

Eric
https://www.coroflot.com/boofredlay
ZeroMan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When in doubt, there is always good old Robert King music.

Go to King website at:

http://www.rkingmusic.com

Click on Order, than Search and use the pulldown menu to search for "Sextets, Sextets" music. Chances are you'll find some nice arrangements, as well as some music written specifically for your brass sextet lineup (2 trp, hrn, trb, bari, tuba). If not, than maybe you will find something close, like for 2 trpts, horn, trombone, bass trombone and tuba. The website will usually provide the instrumentation details after the title of the particular piece in the form of a few numbers (trumpet-horn-trombone.bass trombone or euphonium-tuba)

[ This Message was edited by: ZeroMan on 2002-11-11 19:45 ]

[ This Message was edited by: ZeroMan on 2002-11-11 19:49 ]
boofredlay
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Zero Man.
I have looked there before and I get confused as to how they list some of the instrumentation.
I.E. [212.01;211.11] Does this mean ["2 Trumpets, 1 Horn, 2 Bones and 1 Tuba ; 2 Trumpets, 1 Horn, 1 Bone, 1 Base Bone and 1 Tuba"]
Or am I just off the mark there.
Eric
https://www.coroflot.com/boofredlay
ZeroMan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-11-11 20:34, boofredlay wrote:
Thanks Zero Man.
I have looked there before and I get confused as to how they list some of the instrumentation.
I.E. [212.01;211.11] Does this mean ["2 Trumpets, 1 Horn, 2 Bones and 1 Tuba ; 2 Trumpets, 1 Horn, 1 Bone, 1 Base Bone and 1 Tuba"]
Or am I just off the mark there.
Eric

That's the way I always understood it. Traditionally, a score will list horns before trumpets but I got the impression from browsing through the King catalog that they list trumpets before horns. I guess a call to their Customer Service department should clear things up.

I think another confusing issue is that many small brass ensemble arrangements and compositions will often allow for a bass trombone to substitute for a tuba part.

I have become aware of the many Internet resources for trumpet/brass playing but I am not at the level to consider delving deeper. I currently do not play in a small ensemble, but I have ordered from Robert King before. The people who work there are very brass-knowledgeable, so don't hesitate to ask. They are a great resource
O-Dawgg

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2002 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find a copy of the sextet version russian sailors dance. I played it a few years ago and it was great! The first trumpet part was really fun. Second would have been good too but I was on first. It seems to be more of a descant part while the second was the more lyrical melodic part. Good luck,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
pedaltonekid
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Zimmerman and the King's Brass have a lot of great arrangements for multi piece brass ensembles. You can find some for exactly what you are looking for, but even their larger arrangements tend to sound good, even if all of the parts are not covered. If there appears to be a gaping hole or two try to rewrite a couple of the parts.

Also look at tap music sales. Some great stuff there.

Mark Adler music also has some good stuff.
pedaltonekid
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked out the Dillon Music site. They have a very nice selection of sextets with the instrumentation with which you are using.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: