• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Posting here

View previous topic :: View next topic  
m4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Posting here Reply with quote

The big guns seem to stay away from this section, in fact, looks form the dates, that all of the guns stay away form this section. My hope is that i may perhaps write my feelings and only the thoughtful will find thire way down here. Perhaps i am wrong.

As a college professor, and trumpet player who plays a lot all over the world, lived in NYC for twenty years, and counts major trumpet artists of my generation my friends (I'm 49,) I've seen and heard a lot over the years.

I have taken a lot of abuse in this fourm for my outspoken ditain for the jazz work of Wyntom Marsalsis. As i have qulaified many times, I feel he is a wonderfully gifted player--in the classical arena. But i was there at the beginning, as were many people, and he simply could not play jazz that was recognizable to me as jazz. He had many luckly breaks, many by record producers.

Even today, I heard a clip of Cherokke that someone posted. it was awful. First, it was too fast, he emplyed some strange type of double tounging, and it was a strained, uncmfortable performance. And if you slowed it down, one would find that the ideas of Mr. marsalsi were rudimnetary at best. He shoulod have listend to F. Hubbard palying"just one of those things" form the Hub of Hubbard if tempo was waht he was loooking for...

His winning of a Pulitzer Prize is a great embassament for jazz and a slap in the face to all of ther great living arrangers of the past; i.e Bob Brookmeyer, et al. But it is the type of thjing the public eats up

But when our own trumpet community buys this hype, it becomes truely disturbing.

I alos find tha many young palyers on this site are so unaware of the history of the jazz trumpet and make wild statements and wilder accusations when corrected.

Probably this state of affairs is in some small part due to many jazz trumpet players meeting their demise early--and in modern times, the untimely death of Woody Shaw.

m4

Michael A. Missiras, Ph.D
deleted_user_fdb91a0

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Wynton still used Bach equipment, his legit playing far exceeded his jazz playing. These days, I don't buy into much of anything that he's doing.

My .02
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Posting here Reply with quote

m4 wrote:
I have taken a lot of abuse in this forum for my outspoken disdain for the jazz work of Wynton Marsailis. As I have qualified many times, I feel he is a wonderfully gifted player--in the classical arena.

My experience and feelings exactly. I feel he is (or was) one of the great classical players of our time, but his jazz is mediocre. Or maybe it's just not my style, but I don't enjoy listening to it. I'll say this, however - his jazz playing is better than Arturo's classical playing!
andythrush

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why are you on leave this year m4?
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy,

All one has to do is read the tone and tenor of his many posts . . . and connect the dots. Of course, I suspect you've already done the dot connecting . . . just like the rest of us.

It could be a physical problem . . . it could be mental problem . . . it might be both.

Reading the writing style that's too full of errors for a healthy intellectual . . . plus noticing the obvious pain, desire for respect . . . and also the hostile frustration towards others that he exibits . . . I suspect it might be both mental and physical.

In any event, we ought to pray for the guy, and hope he gets better! Bad things can happen to good people . . . and none of us are necessarily immune from the trials and hurts of life.

Sincerely,

Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Reveille All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: