• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

% of Caruso in present practice routine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoeCool
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The suggested daily dose of Caruso is 20-40 minutes per day. I only have about 1-2 hours that I try to split per day. I value these exercises tremendously and feel they are a great benefit as well as an integral part of my routine. I have stuck to the schedule religiously in this forum and find that it takes roughly 40 minutes cumulatively to get thru all the material. If I were on the level of a pro, I would continue to hack it. However, due to time constraints and endurance, I find that I have less time for other important practice components such as intervals, flexibilities, scales, etudes, technical studies, improv and other musical endeavors. I was wondering about a feasible as well as productive alternative.
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try putting your Caruso stuff on a 14 or 21 day cycle instead of 7. That will cut your daily Caruso practice by 1/2 to 1/3. So 40 minutes could become 15 - 20.
JoeCool
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Charly.

[ This Message was edited by: JoeCool on 2003-01-12 21:53 ]
Wind

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello boys!
I'm an italian student!
When I must play Caruso?
Every day too?
B6L
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wind,
Si ongi giorno...........il l'antipasto e primo piatto

Nate
jgadvert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me...Caruso has become the foundation of my daily practice. After seeing the results(and so much more to come I'm sure!)..if I had time to practice only one thing..it would be this.

Other than lip flexibilties, double tonguing, pedals(I prefer those I find in another book) and some playing of real music out of Arbans(for example)
it covers everything I need to focus on. Someone suggesetd the Charecteristic studies in Arbans and find that helps too! Am I missing something?
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. That low F#. (I sent an e-mail to you jg)
B_Starry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by B_Starry on Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My available practice time varies every day. Therefore, what I can practice also varies every day. I never spend more than half of my available playing time on Caruso stuff. I always do 6 notes, seconds, and harmonics as a minimum, regardless of how much time I have for other stuff. I rarely do more than 45-50 minutes of Caruso, even on a day where I practice 4 or 5 hours.

Other than Caruso stuff, I find that I can dispense with so much of the other kinds of technical studies I might have practiced. I don't find it necessary to do lots of "flexibility" stuff because it seems like those skills are already in working order from the CC studies. I do like to do some long tones and/or flow studies (if I have time) in order to work on my quality of sound. I do like to do some articulation work, especially on double and triple tongue studies (like Arban pp. 155-180).

Other than that I work on music: etudes like Charlier, jazz licks and interval studies, Working on tunes I am playing with my band, playing tunes with the metronome or with Aebersold CDs, improvising free cadenzas, etc. This put the mechanical skills that I developed via the calisthenics into a musical context...an indispensible part of practice that is often overlooked by students who are excited to develop "chops".
bent trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been doing the Caruso for almost two weeks. I have noticed that when I play long tones quietly above G (second line) I hear a buzzing noise. It seems that the buzz is coming from my lips, and only occures when I play soft. Any ideas on what is causing this?
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bent-

Is this still a problem?

My bet is that if you have persisted with the calisthenics this condition has fixed itself.

You were probably going through an adjustment. Calm and faithful repetition of the exercises fixes things over time. That does not mean that you won't go through periods of disorientation (especially at first) where the body is searching for a new and more efficient way to play. This will all eventually stabilize into a balanced and personal way of playing over time. MCFB causes our playing to evolve.

You say you want a revolution? Well, you don't. (Apologies to PM & JL)

Stay calm and persist!
bent trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I discovered that I can stop the buzz noise by bringing the mouthpiece up higher on the upper lip. The tone quality then improves, but the upper register is limited. Very frustrating.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: