• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Getting into Swing Bands

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
booradley5

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking about auditioning/joining a swing band, but I am unsure about what is expected of me. I mostly play church/wedding stuff now, but I want to relive the college days of being able to play with something other than an organ or piano and actually play in a band. I can play the style of music, play up to double G without a problem, and sight read ok, but I've never had to improvise or really show my stuff as a player before. So I have two questions-- 1) What are ways to get into a swing band? 2) What kinds of skills or preparation should I have before auditioning?

Thanks!

Dustin
musicmonkey
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to my understanding of the term swing, improvisation is not necessary. However, if you just mean music that swings, like jazz, it would probably be necessary for you to hone your improv skills.

This may be obvious, but you should definitely listen to swing recordings or similar styles of music. It will be very helpful if you are aquainted with the style of music you are going to play.

Other than that, I'd find out what you would be expected to do at the audition (assuming you know where you're going to audition) and practice it!

mm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: