• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Posture

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rhodf

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although sound should always be the focus, I was wondering what attention, if any, Bill gives to posture. I have read that proper playing posture is when the head is aligned over the shoulders and the shoulders aligned with the hips. The head is tilted down slightly so as not to compress the back of the neck. In addition, the shoulders should be down and somewhat back to open up the chest.

While this sounds like a lot to think about, you can just set yourself up with this posture rather quickly. You basically remain in that stance while playing (not rigidly, of course) and then focus completely on the sound.

I was curious if Bill ever talked about posture or had specific thoughts on the topic.

Thanks.
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exam week is looming here at school. I promise to reply as soon as I can return to being thoughtful!
fuzzius_navus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I may not be familiar with Bill Adams methods, I do know that some of the best people to talk to about posture are chiropractors, or yoga instructors. If you can find one that is a musician, more power to you.

Fundamentally, you want the spine to be in line, which keeps tension at its lowest.

Start with being seated (this is the easier one to describe) - first off place both feet squarely on the floor and about shoulder width apart, forget the knees together thing, this is the most relaxed position for most people. Next find your "sit" bones. Part of the whole pelvic bone (surprise surprise), you might have to shift some meat to get at them
and make sure that you are sitting firmly on them. You should not be pushing your butt back, or allowing your lower back to fall out. Straighten your back - don't thrust the shoulders back as it causes tension in the chest and the back, and people tend to arch their back when the push their shoulders back. You can adjust them when holding the horn to keep the arms off the body to allow full expansion of the rib cage. You should feel like your feet are not really supporting anything, your body will want to slouch back but don't let it. You should be at right angles from foot to shoulders (foot/ankle, knee, hips - all at 90 degree angles.

As far as your head goes, if you yawn you can feel where your head/throat feels best and most open by shifting your head forward or back, side to side until you feel the point of least resistance.

At least, that is how I have been taught. I am sure Quazimoto had other thoughts on posture....
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like so many other aspects of playing, I know Mr. Adam considers posture to be a crucial part of a player's development. Posture is inextricably linked to the breathing process and also to excessive tension in the upper body, neck, throat, etc. However, in general he would not make direct comments about posture.

Mr. Adam's preferred way of fixing any problem is via subliminal messages, mental imagery, and sound modeling. In the case of posture, he would always exhibit ideal posture (perhaps even exagerratedly) in his own playing. Unconsciously over time most all of his students would modify their own posture and physical gestures to match Adam's own. He would also mention certain things, such as the importance of where I positioned the music stand (especially it's height). Without me being aware of a change, he could modify my posture, the position of my head in relation to my body, the angle of my horn to the plane of my face, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Bill Adam All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: