• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lightwieght horn working?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blasticore
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just curious if anyone here primarily uses a lightweight horn for orchestra work, or if I'm killing myself here alone. Anyone at all?
big brian
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by big brian on Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:45 am; edited 1 time in total
johntpt
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using a Schilke S22C a lot lately. Although this model is lighter than most Bach's the sound is darker and richer than a Bach C trumpet. The bell is quite a bit larger than a Bach 229. I know almost everyone plays a Bach 229 but I sound better on this Schilke.

Then again, Bach trumpets are lightweight next to Blackburns or Monettes.

John Urness
Stevie Mac

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You dont have to play a monstrous heavy horn to play in an orchestra...you just need one that suits you and gets the job done...it doesnt matter what "type" of horn it is.

Well said Brian!!

Play Well or Quietly!
bj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Adding to Big Brians list of UK players who use lightweight horns, Andy Crowley (London Brass etc. etc) used to use a 43LR until he mashed the bell - Parkers replaced the bell with a 37 that was lying around the shop. Also Paul Beniston of the London Phil uses an LA Benge (Claude Gordon I think but not absolutely sure of the model). I don't think there were any heavyweight LA Benges anyway.
all the best
Brian Jones
redface
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-01-10 12:20, bj wrote:
Adding to Big Brians list of UK players who use lightweight horns, Andy Crowley (London Brass etc. etc) used to use a 43LR until he mashed the bell - Parkers replaced the bell with a 37 that was lying around the shop.

Although Andy Crowley uses a Monette C trumpet, which would be damn heavy. I personally don't find the lightweight bachs any different in terms of sound - they are just a bit more responsive than the standard model. You can alter the sound of a lighter horn (Schilke etc.) by using a slightly bigger mouthpiece than usual. Having said that I have played some Schilke's that have a phenomenally dark sound - much darker than my heavy old bach 43. Bizarrely my C trumpet (B&S large bore reverse lead) has a darker sound than my Bb.

Blasticore - it really doesn't matter what you play on, there are always so many famous exceptions to the orchestral norm - it shows it really doesn't matter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
pushyred
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't the Bach "LR" use a lightweight body with a standard weight bell?

What kind of lightweight horn are you using? I've been using a Kanstul-made French Besson Classic in Orchestra and its been fine although I'm anxiously waiting for a Lawler with a heavy bell.

What you may be experiencing is a lack of "feedback" from your horn. Have you heard a recording? Does the clarinet player in front of you wear earplugs? Some lighter horns don't give much back to the player but still "make it" to the back of the hall without any problem. Perhaps you should have someone come to a dress rehearsal (hopefully in an auditorium) and listen. Even a cheap little tape recorder will give you some indication as to how far your sound is going.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: