• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Will this hamper development?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andiroo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Will this hamper development? Reply with quote

When I play the exercise on page 5 i repeat the last line but each time transposing it up a semitone. i've been hitting a decent sounding high D using the setting i would use for lower notes(normally i'd have soo much lip curl+pressure+tension just to hit that note). Sometimes i over pitch it aswell. My lips just feel different when i play this exercise i can only describe them as "meaty".

My range when i play normally aka not the stamp exercises hence playing with bad habits i have a good solid range to A, the Bb isn't beautiful tone wise... So would this modified stamp exercise hinder development? My lips feel great after it, and it's always nice to be overpitching the D above high C
especially when you've struggled like me with range for a while.
swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you're talking about extending exercise 3 into the upper register. Rather than doing that, I'd suggest you take a look at exercise 4b on page 6 or exercise 3a on p. 10. This way, the exercise spans the full range from the pedal register through the upper note.

A few other comments, in no particular order:

Use common sense when doing exercises that push your range limits.

There's no reason your regular playing should not sound as nice as the Stamp exercises. I would expect that if you're doing it properly, the more Stamp you do, the better your "regular" sound should become.

Don't focus too much about how your embouchure feels -- focus on how you sound! That said, I just about always feel great after doing the early exercises in the Stamp book.

Hopefully you're also taking lessons and your teacher can give you some more specific advice.
janet842
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimmy's method isn't just meant to be a warmup. To really get the benefit from his method, you need to apply the same principals you use for the warmup period to the rest of your playing. In other words, when you close the Stamp book, all you're doing is changing the music that you play -- the method needs to carry over into practice and performance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> James Stamp All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: