• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Jim Underwood

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tleasure

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject: Jim Underwood Reply with quote

Dear Friends,
It is my sad duty to report that Jim Underwood, principal trumpet of the Columbus (OH) Symphony, passed away last night. His fight against cancer was valiant and he continued playing beautifully throughout his battle with it.

Jim was also a former teacher of mine. He was incredibly helpful and supportive during the early years of my career.

He will be sorely missed here in Columbus.

Tim
tastoll
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:43 am    Post subject: Jim Underwood Reply with quote

What a loss for the Columbus music community, he was my teacher almost 20 years ago and was a man of great warmth, humor, and compassion...my best to his family.
trombapaul2
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many here who were touched by Jim's playing, his wit, and his
humor. Many who had him as a teacher and many who were performing
colleagues. Please post funeral information when it becomes available.

Thanks.

Paul
tleasure

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received this information from Jim Akins, principal tuba with the Columbus Symphony...

This Tuesday, 8/8/06, there will be 2 viewings, tentative times are 1030 to 12n, and 1-230, followed by a small service at 3pm at the Rutherford
Funeral Home, located at 450 W. Olentangy St., Powell,Oh 43065. He will then be transferred to Michigan for a funeral near Detroit in Westland, MI on Thursday.
In September, date and times tba, we will have a memorial service when everybody can be back from all of the festivals, etc...This will most likely be held at 1st Community Church so that many may attend, with music galore.

Brian Moon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tleasure

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATED INFORMATION - Please disregard my previous post.

4pm to 7pm, viewing immediately followed at 7pm by a service, led by Dr Richard Wing. These all occur on 8/8/06 at the Rutherford Funeral Home, located at 450 Olentangy St (Powell Rd), Powell Ohio.

Note mapquest link below.

http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?addr=450+West+Olentangy+Street&csz=Powell+OH&country=us&new=1&name=&qty=
tleasure

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FROM THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

JAMES UNDERWOOD| 1948-2006
TRUMPET SOLOIST DIES OF CANCER

Published: Sunday, August 6, 2006

FEATURES - ARTS 06C

By Barbara Zuck

The Columbus Dispatch

Surrounded by family, the principal trumpet of the Columbus Symphony Orchestra lost his four-year battle with cancer Friday at his Dublin home.

James Underwood, 57, would have celebrated his 30th wedding anniversary Monday with his wife, Marty.

The couple have three children: daughters Sonya, 27, and Jamie, 16; and son Alvin, 25.

Underwood -- who was born Aug. 19, 1948, in Kokomo, Ind. -- attended the University of Michigan School of Music but left college to join the U.S. Marine Band as cornet soloist.

He also played with the Philadelphia Orchestra and other bands before being named principal trumpet of the Columbus group in 1988.

"If there is anybody you could rely on to create a persona of the orchestra with his sound, it was Jim," Jim Akins, principal tuba, said yesterday. "Musically, his loss is absolutely tremendous. As a colleague and friend, it's unbearable."

In 2002, after months of inconclusive tests, Underwood was told he had cancer of the parotid (salivary) gland. He underwent several disfiguring surgeries.

Akins created a mouthpiece for Underwood that made performing still possible.

"With each surgery, we would have to adapt his trumpet because . . . more of the left side of his face was removed," Akins said. "Some players call in sick when they think they are getting a cold sore. Jim came back after each surgery."

Underwood, with an intuitive feel for American music, was known for the "whinny" at the end of Leroy Anderson's Sleigh Ride.

His classical chops were strong, too: His first postoperative return was marked by a rendition of the challenging solo from Stravinsky's Petrouchka.

"His talent was so high," former Music Director Alessandro Siciliani said, "that even with a big handicap he played better and more beautifully than anyone else. He was a gigante buono ("gentle giant") -- generous, tenderhearted, kind."

"He will be profoundly missed by the whole symphony family and by the greater community," said Fordham Huffman II, board chairman. "We are grateful for his artistry . . . and for his great grace and courage as he fought the disease."

Calling hours and a service will take place Tuesday at Rutherford Funeral Home in Powell (call 614-792-1471), with burial Thursday in Westland, Mich.
Brian Moon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After Jim got out of the military he lived in Detroit and played 6 years as the uncontracted 4th trumpet in the Detroit Symphony. He spent 10+ years as principal trumpet with the Michigan Opera Theatre and as solo cornet with Leonard Smith's Detroit Concert Band before taking the job in Columbus.

It is hard to believe that it was 18 years ago that he left Detroit.

Jim was one of the greatest trumpet players of all time and a fantastic cornet soloist. There have been very few occasions in my life where I have heard somone play and have been completely blown away with what I just heard. When I try to think of those instances Jim is the first person that comes to mind. Thad Jones is the next.

It is sad to lose a friend. I will always cherish memories of good times with him.

Brian Moon
madAhorn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Jim Underwood Reply with quote

tleasure wrote:
Dear Friends,
It is my sad duty to report that Jim Underwood, principal trumpet of the Columbus (OH) Symphony, passed away last night. His fight against cancer was valiant and he continued playing beautifully throughout his battle with it.

Jim was also a former teacher of mine. He was incredibly helpful and supportive during the early years of my career.

He will be sorely missed here in Columbus.

Tim

I was Jim's student in Michigan in the early to mid 80's. He helped me get on a Detroit Classical Radio competition. I played Hummel. He had me playing Tomasi by 11th grade on my Bb Getzen Capri. He also helped me get into the Detroit Concert Band as 1st Cornet, but by that time I started having lip issues and fell down close to last chair, but played in the group for a few years. I think Jim moved to Ohio while I was in that group. I will never forget his encouragement and time he put in for free to prepare me for recording and radio broadcast as well as just being a great friend! I hope to send a nice message to his family some time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: