• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bert Truax

View previous topic :: View next topic  
drtrumpet1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Bert Truax Reply with quote

I just took a lesson today with Bert, and all I can say is "HOLY MOLY"! I feel like I'm twice as strong a player, using only half the energy. It was a great feeling. Anyone that is even in the remote vicinity should take the opportunity to take a lesson from him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
mattdalton
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to hear. I guess I should see this as a good reason to visit the Dallas area.

Just curious...what did he work with you on that made such a difference? Was it his way of approaching Stamp material, or other things?

Thanks.
drtrumpet1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Stamp method. That's all we worked on. We did some mouthpiece buzzing, and he talked about the philosophy of Stamp, and we did a little bit of playing on the horn. After he helped me make the adjustments in my embouchure, my sound was soo much bigger and fuller. It was amazing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
mcstock
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Bert Truax Reply with quote

drtrumpet1 wrote:
I just took a lesson today with Bert, and all I can say is "HOLY MOLY"! I feel like I'm twice as strong a player, using only half the energy. It was a great feeling. Anyone that is even in the remote vicinity should take the opportunity to take a lesson from him.

I second that! I worked with Bert for several years when I lived in Denton, and pretty much reinvented myself as a musician with his help. On my website I have a page that attempts to explain his approach to the Stamp method. http://www.geocities.com/mcstock.geo/stamp.html

"Lock & Blow"

Matt
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Bert Truax Reply with quote

mcstock wrote:

"Lock & Blow"

Matt, isn't that a Bert-ism? Seems like I recall him saying that when he sat in with the PitPops one night. He's a great player in all genres.

Dave
mcstock
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Bert Truax Reply with quote

dcstep wrote:
mcstock wrote:

"Lock & Blow"

Matt, isn't that a Bert-ism? Seems like I recall him saying that when he sat in with the PitPops one night. He's a great player in all genres.

Dave

Dave,

Yup, that's one of Bert's. It's tough to put into writing. Have you taken a lesson with Bert or checked out the DVD? http://www.berttruax.com

Matt
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Matt, no I haven't taken a lesson from Bert, but he's sat in with me two or three times and we've talked trumpet a lot. I probably should get at least one lesson before I move to Denver and/or buy the CD.

He's really versatile and great fun to play with.

Dave
Trumpet Dude
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Bert Truax Reply with quote

drtrumpet1 wrote:

That is exactly how i felt after my first lesson. That was about half a year ago. I still feel that way everytime I step out his door. He makes everything so simple and easy. He is a great teacher and an even greater player.
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bert Truax will perform his own Fantasy for Trumpet and Orchestra at 8 P.M. on Saturday, February 4, 2006. The concert is at the Eisemann Center in Richardson, TX. Also featured are works by Dvorak, Brahms, J. Strauss, Peck, & Borodin.
http://www.richardsonsymphony.org/
SatchmoGillespie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently, I started taking lessons with Bert because I was manipulating my embouchure so much that playing the horn was becoming more of a chore than it should have been. After the first lesson, I too noticed a big difference. All we did was work on mouthpiece buzzing that lesson and I noticed immediately that I wasn't having to work as hard. The thing that helped me was that he broke everything down and made me see what I was doing wrong. After my most recent lesson this past weekend, I am really starting to see a difference in playing the horn and it has gotten me excited about playing again. Can't wait to see what my progress will be like a month from now.
Getzen Severinsen
Kanstul 1525 Flugelhorn
Lex Grantham
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Lessons With Bert Reply with quote

I had a couple of lessons with Bert back in May, and like some of you have indicated...one can come away feeling much better about playing trumpet.

When he was introducing me to the Stamp concepts, he told me that the time spent doing them would NOT be wasted. My first impression was that immediate results can be experienced rather quickly without having to wait a long time for things to develop. Of course, good habits have to be reinforced over time, but this was a refreshing event for me.

I am going to continue with Bert as a graduate trumpet student this fall. I am anxious to get started.

Sincerely,

Lex Grantham
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> James Stamp All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: