• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

James thompson buzzing book

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
portugaltrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
From to weeks until now I am olying this book (only thte first four exercises) and I am blowwing more easely. It results or it's only my head? Does anibody have more experience with this book?
Thanks
oj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely,

I have used it ever since it arrived (a year ago). Here is a little article I wrote:

http://abel.hive.no/trumpet/articles/buzzingbook/

.. and here is more about Jim Thompson's philosophy:

http://abel.hive.no/trumpet/report/thompson/

I use the same buzzing aid as Thompson:

http://abel.hive.no/trumpet/articles/brassbuzzer/

that makes the "connetction" between playing the horn and the mouthpiece more "even".

Ole

P.S.

Don't rush ahead with the exercises. Keep working on the first group for a long time, then go on.
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Portugaltrumpet,

I have been using the Jim Thompson Buzzing Basics routine every morning since March of this year. It has been a wonderful approach to enhance the resonance in my sound. I do have some suggestions for you.

I begin my morning session by "playing the leadpipe". Insert your mouthpiece as you would normally to play and then take out your tuning slide. I play a series of relaxed whole notes to get the "buzz" working. I start each note with a gentle breath attack and hold it for four counts and then rest. The note is typically an between a D and Eb concert (E-F for Bb trumpet). Doing this about 10-12 times really encourages a very relaxed buzzing concept that you take with you into the Jim Thompson exercises.

I choose to approach the Buzzing Basics exercises with the goal of finding the most resonance in my sound as possible. For me, this means to just let the crescendos happen on their own (no "pushing" on my part). When I am truly centered, the sound takes on a very vibrant quality (both on the mouthpiece and the horn). I can't make this happen, I must let it happen on it's own. Sometimes I find this resonance on the first note that I buzz, but many times (especially when I first started back in March), it would take longer to develop (around the A to Ab in exercise 2). You will clearly feel when you are locking in on this centered sound (quality improves and the dynamic is much louder for a fraction of the effort).

On exercises 3 and 4, "observe" what your tongue is doing on the movement to the next partial. Don't force it or try to make it happen, just observe it. Your body will find the movement that is best (i.e. a larger oral cavity for the low notes and a smaller oral cavity for the higher notes). You can very easily mask the resonant sound that you are trying to achieve by blowing too hard, and mistaking volume for resonance. I even try to keep the crescendo from a p to a mp on exercise three when I'm playing it on the horn until the top note "pops" out to assure that I'm playing resonant. Only then will I give it a little more air. It's very easy to want to force things to happen too quickly, but you must be patient and let your body find the best answer.

I would stay with the first four exercises for the first several months, and then venture on to exercises 5-9. Keith Thompson on the TPIN list suggests doing 1 through 4 plus 9 if you don't have time to do all 9 on a given day. I really like this, because I can move into the pedals even on days with limited time to play in the morning.

If you focus on resonance you will gain a wonderful benefit from these exercises (including an increased dynamic range). However, if you focus on volume, you will miss the ever-important concept of resonance, and you will be spinning your wheels.

I NEVER BLOW HARD when playing these exercises. If you find that you are, stop! Regroup, and then play more gently. This is the only way to find true resonance.

Good luck!
oj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post, Derek,

I also use the leadpipe exercise prior to doing the Buzzing Book, and also later in the day as a very quick warm up.

What I have found is that it helps to first form the mouth around the mpc. and blow a steady air column through the leadpipe. Really feel how easy it is, listen to the sound of the air, a big column, almost like water from a tap.

Then form the lips, but keep them apart, blow air throught the leadpipe and try to get the same quality on the air rushing through the pipe. Now, gently let the lips come together, a sound will suddenly start. Do it several times.

When starting Thompson's exercises try to have the same feeling of the air. This wil take time, but when you get it, you have the most easy and effective balance between air and resistance.

Ole
redface
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought this book yesterday.
The playalong CD is hilarious!!! The cheesiest backing tracks for a MOUTHPIECE routine

HA HAAAAAAA
HAAAA HAAAAAA

I actually don't think I'll be able to playalong with the CD for laughing so much!!!!!

A really good book though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
trumpetdiva1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been working with a student of mine from the first volume of Thompson’s “Daily Play-Along Brass Builder” for four weeks. This edition came out in 1995. Before using this book, we were working on Stamp exercises that included free buzzing, mouthpiece buzzing, and then playing the horn. He had a problem with buzzing a middle G (even if he had played it on the horn before buzzing) and usually would end up buzzing a higher pitch. Finally, I decided to have him use Thompson’s book for hope of it improving his pitch accuracy. I had him work on the first two exercises using free buzzing and mouthpiece buzzing. Even though the background synthesizer is somewhat cheesy or hilarious, it served as highly useful to my student. Within one lesson he could hear the G and enjoys working out of the book. I had him play one exercise from Stamp that I had previously assigned to him and he had no problem with the pitch. So, it is a great book for “improving pitch accuracy.”

[ This Message was edited by: trumpetdiva1 on 2003-10-01 18:12 ]
Atomlinson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to consider getting the newer edition published by Editions Bim "The Buzzing Book" Complete Method (2001). Thompson's latest thoughts. Nicely produced, good introductory text, plenty of helpful notes about using the exercises. Two CD's (choice of Bb or C trumpet). A first class publication in every way.

Andrew Tomlinson
Nick Mondello
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Buzzing Basics Reply with quote

The Thompson book doen't seem to address resting between each of the exercises.

Anyone have thoughts/suggestions?

Derek?

Thanks!
Nick
Nick Mondello
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Buzzing Basics Reply with quote

The Thompson book doen't seem to address resting between each of the exercises.

Anyone have thoughts/suggestions?

Derek?

Thanks!
Nick
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick,

When I play through the exercises I do them straight through with the amount of “rest” that is included on the CD. Some days I will do just the first 4 exercises, and other days I will do all of Volume 1 and Volume 2 (I have Buzzing Basics). It took me a long time to work up to playing both Volumes back to back.

The important thing is not to rush anything. If you need to rest between exercise 4 and 5, I can’t see anything wrong with that. If you feel fatigued and want to rest and then continue, I think that’s something very different. I play these keeping vibrancy and resonance as the primary goal, and if I start to get tired I’ll take a long break and then start working on something else. It’s not a race to get to the Volume 2 exercises. Playing these exercises is your opportunity to really fall into “the sound”, and extending the exercises (say 10-14) should be done only when your body is ready for them.

Hope this helps.
Nick Mondello
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Buzzing Basics Reply with quote

Derek:

Thanks!

No, I'm in no rush to get through everything. Lord knows, I went through the days of "practice everything."

I'll do 1 through 4 and then break for about 5-10 mins. Then, 5 and 6. that's PLENTY for me right now. Think I use too much hand pressure.
Trying to get a better balance of lip "compression" and air speed/support.
Also, trying to relax during rests, as these are NOT isometric studies, per JT.

As always, thank you for your insights and sage advice. I'll keep you posted.
Qman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BB's...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I must confess these are like a drug.....once you learn them they change your playing forever and you become addicted..... in a good way.

I have used these for 4 years. This summer I kinda got bored......and started doing stamp, and now I am back to BB's, I think they are the greatest excercises out there.

Now that I have been back on them again for about 1 week. My body is remembering what BB's felt and sounded like but I am going to stick to 1-4 for one more month. But when I was doing these hardcore I had two routines....

1-9,rest,10 or 11, and then one of the 12-14.

or

1-4,rest, pick one from 5-8, 10 or ll, and then 12

or on days when I really did not feel like playing-I would do the whole book!!! It would take 2 hours with rest!!!

I was taught that rest is just as important as playing so take rest between the sets, at least I do, I not of fan of playing these until they hurt....because they can. Anyway good luck with these and hope you find your journey enlightening!!!

Quincy
ChrisVenditti

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: JT's BB Reply with quote

Hey,

I studied with Mr. Thompson for two years. When the student is first starting BB he only has them do the first 2 exercises for a few weeks. He monitors the progress, then after 2-3 weeks he adds #'s 3 and four one at a time. The student generally stays here for like 2 months. Only after they have a good grip on the materiel will he add the next exercises one at a time. It takes a whole school year to get to #9....and that is studying with the man who wrote the book! I would recommend people that are not studying with him to go a lot slower than that seeing as these exercises could do damage if they are not done correctly.

In the book he says that the first 4 exercises take a few weeks to settle in. One time he told another student in the studio that it really takes like 4-6 years untill the students has a handle on those first four exercises.

Numbers 10 and 11 are like way down the road. One time in a lesson he told me that he didn't want to publish #'s 12-14B because people like to jump to the back of the book where the high notes are first without building any sort of foundation.

Anyway, good luck with BB. Mr. Thompson is a wonderful man and an amaizing teacher. If you ever get the chance, go and take a lesson with him....it may just change your life!

Cheers,
Chris
Qman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Chris,

That is great that you have had time to spend with him. I have only had one lesson and played for him several times in masterclasses, but he definitely has things "figured out". I will keep in mind what you said about the BB's

Cheers

Q
Nascar Trumpeter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He there fellers....

I was wonderin.....why are y'all playing the mouthpiece so much? If I wanna play the trumpet, shouldn't I practice the trumpet? Does playin a certain kinda mouthpiece more helpful or is my Bach ok?

THanks, fellas...

-cletus

Horns:
Wild Thing Bb Trumpet
Getzen 850 Cornet
Mouthpieces:
Bach 5c trumpet
Bach 5c cornet
Qman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I would say you use what you got, if it works it works. The buzzing book is a combination of mouthpiece buzzing and trumpet playing. Mouthpiece buzzing can be an x-ray into how you are approaching the trumpet..

Best!

Q
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qman wrote:
Hello,

I would say you use what you got, if it works it works. The buzzing book is a combination of mouthpiece buzzing and trumpet playing. Mouthpiece buzzing can be an x-ray into how you are approaching the trumpet..

Best!

Q

Just remember to wear the lead apron.
swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PH wrote:
Qman wrote:
Hello,

Best!

Q

Just remember to wear the lead apron.

Or the ride apron, if you're covering the jazz book ...
Umyoguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that the book and CD help me to focus my lower register when things aren't lining up quite right. 5-10 minutes a day, a few days in a row gets things right back on track.

Your mileage may vary.

Jon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Andiroo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this book. 2 days of doing 10min a day of this book helped my played hugly. It works wonders for my tone, and makes playing at the top end of my range easier.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: