• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Is a Monique Trumpet a good brand?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CalifTrumpeter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Is a Monique Trumpet a good brand? Reply with quote

I'm a senior in High School and I'm planning on buying a Black Monique Trumpet on Ebay.
jcstites
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO
CalifTrumpeter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it for beginner, Intermediate, or profesional? I'm only in high school lol Im no pro. Would it be good enough for high school and college? I'm not planning on going any farther.
WildCat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their piccolo trumpets are utterly horrible, but at the same time, so are some by otherwise reputable companies. If you haven't tried the horn, don't gamble on it. Buy something you can have in your hands and test out first. If something doesn't sound good or play well to you, it's not worth whatever money the person's asking for it.
CalifTrumpeter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its on ebay for like $120 and if i dont like it i can just send it back.
thedevilisbad
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monique is a show on UPN not a trumpet brand. It's made in a third world country!

David Koch Custom 1958 Olds Ambassador
1951 Conn 80A
A lot of other crap.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
thedevilisbad
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CalifTrumpeter wrote:
Its on ebay for like $120 and if i dont like it i can just send it back.

You can't send horns on ebay back! What are they teaching kids these days? While you at it buy a first act horn from Wal-Mart.

David Koch Custom 1958 Olds Ambassador
1951 Conn 80A
A lot of other crap.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
hotorangetrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HONESTLY, these guys speak the truth, STAY AWAY.... FAR, FAR AWAY......
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if it plays with a decent sound "right out of the box", chances are that the valves will give up shortly. Some of these brands are really very poor; I've handled one that came from Costco that had the valves installed backwards. When we got the valves right, they required oiling during rests within the same song to keep working.

Many of these "wonderful, teacher-approved" brands are made from very inferior quality brass tubing that doesn't take solder very well at all; in fact, many service shops won't even touch the horns. You'd just be wasting your time. You'll be far better off buying an older horn from a reputable manufacturer.

If in doubt, put the brand name into the TH search function and see what others have had to say about them.
WildCat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thedevilisbad wrote:
Monique is a show on UPN not a trumpet brand. It's made in a third world country!

thedevilisbad wrote:
...While you at it buy a first act horn from Wal-Mart.

Lay off the irrelevant slander and stick to things that would help the topic at hand.
sunburstbasser
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They call them instrument-shaped-objects for a reason...

Seriously, though, they make great lamps. I'd sell you my old Conn for $120 and shipping and even though it isn't a super horn, I promise that it'd be nicer than a Monique.
Selmer 24B Lightweight K-Mod
CalifTrumpeter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is a good brand for a High School student that has played for 9 years and is on a very tight buget.
WildCat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tootsall wrote:
Even if it plays with a decent sound "right out of the box", chances are that the valves will give up shortly.

I will indeed vouch for many lower cost horns doing that. I've seen it happen to quite a few in the last few years. The instruments visually looked spectacular (...most of the time), but mechanically worked very poorly after not too long. I seem to remember some Indian trumpet being marketed with lead valves, rather than stainless steel, nickel or Monel (the latter of which I dislike, actually).

I still mostly stand by the "try it and see" comment I made earlier though. However, in light of the valve issue, you might want to talk to some knowledgeable players who've had more than a few minutes experience with Monique horns.
CalifTrumpeter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx Vince

The desciption says its nickel valves.
CalifTrumpeter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is a good Brand for a high school student with a ver tight budget.
stradlover
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not one of those who bash horns just because they have a name I don't recognize. After all, once upon a time nobody knew who Yamaha was, nor Jupiter. I also happen to have an "off brand" horn that, for the money, is a great little purchase.

This particular horn, on, however, I do have some personal experience with. I have one student who purchased one of their colored laquer horns about a year ago, and the horn looks great. It does not play very well, but it is "decent" as a starter. It has had some minor troubles, but has been reasonable....the valves still work "ok." Unfortunately, however, my brother bought my nephew one off of ebay, and it has turned into quite a nightmare. It looked great, and played "ok" for a couple months......long after someone would "take it back." The vlaves wore horribly, and stick incessantly. Took it to the shop and they told him it was un-fixable. So, every song he's now disassembling the horn to try to oil the valves, put them in 'just so' in hopes that they will work for a while without sticking. It has been a bad experience.

Honestly......FWIW.....there's really NOT that much difference between $150 and $250-$300. I would strongly encourage you to make some extra money, save your birthday money, whatever it takes.....to save up enough money to get a decent used, reliable horn. I know it might seem like a LOT more money, but for not that much more, you CAN get a horn you can use through college for fun. You will likely suffer some retribution trying to play a "Monique" in a college level band.

Best of luck and God bless......
4-Valve Getzen Eterna Flugel
Yamaha 6810S Piccolo Trumpet
Yamaha 2330 Cornet
Stomvi Titan Eb Soprano Cornet
Pocket Trumpet for the car
jpellett
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CalifTrumpeter wrote:
What is a good Brand for a high school student with a ver tight budget.

In the $120 price range you can find a used Olds Ambassador on ebay (or from me).

Jason Pellett
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save your money right now. What are you playing at this moment? The comments above mirror my own experience. I took one on trade, due to the fact the valves were completely shot after 4 months.

The funny thing is, if played like a bugle, it has a pretty even scale, with a pretty close fourth space E (always a trouble note for me). The lacquer still looks good, and nothing has fallen off it yet. I'm considering someday mounting it on an old Getzen 300 valve body when I start getting serious about learning instrument repair. However, it is useless in it's present state.

The best thing you can do right now is save every penny you can lay your hands on. 800 will get you a solid used pro quality trumpet, and 1600 will get you a new one. There are cheaper ones out there, but it is hard to go wrong with any of the following:

Kanstul
Getzen
Yamaha
Bach
Holton

The old Conns are my personal favorites, but stay away from these unless you want to do some homework researching the history of C.G. Conn. There are some dynamite trumpets to be had cheap, but there are also some serious dogs, some no better than the Monique you first asked about. Same thing with Benge,F.E. Olds and Reynolds. Do your research first.

The #1 rule is, play test if possible before buying. Rule #2 is forget what is stamped on the bell. When you find a quality trumpet that is a joy to play, you will know it. Nothing beats cash at times like these.
stradlover
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When you find a quality trumpet that is a joy to play, you will know it. Nothing beats cash at times like these.

Ahhhhhhhhhh......so TRUE!

I tried horns for the past 2 years, knowing exactly what I was looking for, but couldn't find anything that would make me lay down my ol' Strad...... that is.......until I picked up my Getzen Genesis. Boy was I glad I had the dough right then and there! I HAD to have this horn. I haven't experienced that since I picked out my Strad back in '78.

Sorry.....a bit off topic....I don't intend to hijack, just thought this quote was soooooooo true!
4-Valve Getzen Eterna Flugel
Yamaha 6810S Piccolo Trumpet
Yamaha 2330 Cornet
Stomvi Titan Eb Soprano Cornet
Pocket Trumpet for the car
CalifTrumpeter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a Titan trumpet?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: