• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Clark Terry

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpet_Guy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Clark Terry Reply with quote

What kind of horn did Clark Terry Play?
His Signature horn?
And is it still possible to find them around?
richardwy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I sold instruments '78 - 80, Olds made a Clark Terry Bb and Flugel.

Regards,

Richard Oliver
bachstrad72
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He also used to play a Selmer radial Bb, and a Selmer Flugel, the one with the horizontal 3rd slide, and has also used a Callichio Bb as well.
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he had a newer edition, custom designed Martin Committee with two finger hooks. One was attached to the leadpipe as usual. the other was attached to the bell. He sometimes played two horns at once. I think this is true, but I might have dreamed it!

"I'm not apologizing, I am what I am. There'll be no compromising, I don't give a damn."
bg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In his early career, Clark played a Selmer Grand Prix.
During the sixties, he played the K-modified.
During the Seventies he played the radial, and then an Olds.

His old flugel was a Selmer.

In the 70's , Olds copied his Selmer.

Brad Goode
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup... if ya go to his web site and go to the gallery, there are two photos of him playing the flugel in his right hand and the blue Martin Committee with the finger hook on the top of the bell with his left. Cool. Make sure you have the sound on.

"I'm not apologizing, I am what I am. There'll be no compromising, I don't give a damn."
djm6701
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When he was in Toronto a couple of years ago he was playing his Olds flugel.

GR 65.6 Mouthpieces
a jazz.fm member
NTlead
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw him at the village vanguard last year and he was still playing that Olds Clark Terry Flugel along with a modern blue martin committee. He sounded great especially considering his age.
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that Clark plays a V-cup mouthpiece, which might have something to do with how he gets around the horn so nimbly. His fundamentals are so sound they'll have to pry a trumpet from his cold hands before he'd have to stop playing.

I also noticed something watching some old video of Clark (perhaps those of you with better video collections than I can corroborate this or knock it down) -- when he'd take a breath, he'd lift the horn off like a hinge, leaving it connected with the top lip, and drop his jaw to take in the breath. Odd to look at but you can't argue with the results...

I've gotten to back Clark up a few times but have never had a chance to say more than a cursory word to him. He's one of my biggest early influences.
Rich G
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best one to answer these questions, other than Clark Terry, would be Trent Austin. I had a Selmer K-Modified flugel that Trent eventually ended up with. He told me that the serial number was two digits away from Clark Terry's. I believe Clark Terry played Giardinelli mouthpieces for the most part.
Locutus2k
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich G wrote:
...I believe Clark Terry played Giardinelli mouthpieces for the most part.

yes, right: but the "old" ones, with deep V cups (actual Giardinelli production has no longer v cups in stock). He still plays on Giardinelli vintage mouthpieces.
Clark Terry is my hero, i love every single note he made. He's a marvellous human being too: kind, funny ... well:a Hero
Lawler TL5 Balanced 30th Anniversary (#2 of 5)
Lawler TL5 L bore
Bach NY Special edition 2008
Flugel Van Laar Oiram Ack
Mark Curry mouthpieces
------------------------
Rich G
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Locutus2k wrote:

Clark Terry is my hero, i love every single note he made. He's a marvellous human being too: kind, funny ... well:a Hero

Absolutely. My twin brother (woodwinds) has performed with Clark Terry on a few occasions. My brother absolutely loves this man - as a musician - but mostly as a human being.
md-jones
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kanstul makes copies of all the Giardinelli's, including the V cups. Just get the diameter you use.
wiseone2
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazz_trpt wrote:
My understanding is that Clark plays a V-cup mouthpiece, which might have something to do with how he gets around the horn so nimbly. His fundamentals are so sound they'll have to pry a trumpet from his cold hands before he'd have to stop playing.

I also noticed something watching some old video of Clark (perhaps those of you with better video collections than I can corroborate this or knock it down) -- when he'd take a breath, he'd lift the horn off like a hinge, leaving it connected with the top lip, and drop his jaw to take in the breath. Odd to look at but you can't argue with the results...
Here's a video. See for yourselves.
http://www.dailymotion.com/visited/search/trumpet/video/x2jwy_ct-donna-lee

Wilmer
Locutus2k
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wiseone2 wrote:
Here's a video. See for yourselves.
http://www.dailymotion.com/visited/search/trumpet/video/x2jwy_ct-donna-lee

Wilmer

Above all: did you hear THAT sound?!!
Rock solid, creamy, soft as velvet .. *pure pleasure*, imho no one in the world have a sound like this, CT is really one of a kind musician.

Luigi
Lawler TL5 Balanced 30th Anniversary (#2 of 5)
Lawler TL5 L bore
Bach NY Special edition 2008
Flugel Van Laar Oiram Ack
Mark Curry mouthpieces
------------------------
Ruechel
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clark pays a custom made blue martin committee Bb and has a number of fluegels: he owns a matching custom made blue martin (i believe) fluegelhorn that has his name inscribed on the inside of the bell. he has some type of furry felt taped to the finger buttons because he lost some feeling in his fingertips due to an illness. that's why you oftentimes can see him 'hanging' over the tips. it doesn't slow him down one bit though. t i did see some other horns in his house in NJ when i was there in march of 2005. he has since moved to arkansas. he is one of the greatest guys ever but most people of his generation in jazz are very very gracious, humble and truly cool.
GenoValet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazz_trpt wrote:

I think he also does a circular breathing sniff thing when hard boppin'...on some CD's from old analog album days if you listen closely you can hear it.

I got to meet him back in the early 60's when, even tho' he was at the top-of-his-game & a busy busy man, he came to central NJ to give a clinic for high school trumpeters. The Middlesex HS Dance Band where I was 2nd chair got to host the event. He was not only all of the accolades already heaped upon him above, it was eminently clear that he was interested in imparting everything he knew to us kids with patience & real caring. I nailed a written solo on ________ & he asked me if it "was written or improv." Back then I was just a small & shy kid, so I just kind of waved my hand toward the stand & just about whispered, "It's written, Mr. Terry..." He asked me to try to "improvise on just one note, tuning C." I froze solider than a T-bone covered with that protective layer of ice its gotten after a year in the freezer & stared at him like, well this: . He looked at me for just a moment, realized what was going on, smiled & said, "Here, let me show you how first" A true class act.
trumpetmaster2005

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread all the way through. I know he kepts Olds flugels 'round his time. He's such a unique artist.
http://www.myspace.com/musicscientist
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CT is at UNH this week for his annual festival.

If you're in the area take a few moments to come and check him out! He's 86 and still playing strong.

I'll be there on Sunday evening!
-T
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
Paul Tomashefsky
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has since moved to arkansas. he is one of the greatest guys ever but most people of his generation in jazz are very very gracious, humble and truly cool.[/quote]

I actually think he lives in Arizona or New Mexico, This is from a pretty "repuatable resource" (Terell Stafford) and yes that is Clark's Old Old's Flugel with the Martin Commitee Blue finish on it! I caught Clark playing with Jimmy Heath Down at the Blue Note in NYC back in October for Jimmy's 80th or 85th Birthday party, Terell Stafford, Frank Greene, Diego Urcola, and (Jamie Tarby?) in the Trumpet Section!!! Gary Smulyan on bari-sax and some other Heavy hitters in the Band!!!!! Incredible. Poor clark came riding out on a Lark as he has some serious back issues. . . after they helped him onstage he gave his greeting: "The Golden Years Suck!" and proceeded to Blow the House DOWN! Here's to another 85 years of Mr. Terry Amen!!!

Paul T.

"Music washes away the Dust of Everyday Life"
Art Blakey

"If you practice...It will come" Field of Trumpet Dreams
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: