• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

"Trumpet Bible??"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpetgrl1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2001 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I have been looking for good method books or music books for trumpet players, and was referred to a book by Arden? It was referred to me as the "trumpet bible", is this title correct, and if so, where could I find it? I've been told it is a great book for trumpet players.

Trumpetgrl1
weezintrumpeteer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2001 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpetgrl1-

The name of it is Arban's Complete Conservatory Method and it is not just a great book, it is THE book if you want to build your fundamentals on the trumpet. I would recomend that you go out and buy it- It is an awesome method. It has a lot of Etudes, Duets, Fundamentals, and solo works like "The Carnival of Venice." It also has difficult (for me) Charachteristic Studies that really refine your skills. You should be able to find it at any music store.

Patrick Trautfield

[ This Message was edited by: weezintrumpeteer on 2001-12-22 23:12 ]
CTeneyck

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2001 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend showed me a reprinting with comments from one of the luminaries (Claude Gordon, maybe) who commented on changes in teaching.

I've always heard the book referred as the Arban - Clarke method, as H.L Clarke editted the edition (that I used, anyway).

One thing you won't find in there are pedal tones -- I'd also heard that H.L. Clarke treated the use of pedal tones as a trade secret.

On a bit of a tangient - there's a CD released from one of the smaller labels with actual recordings by Clarke -- unbelievable!
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2001 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, Maurice Andre edited the most recent update.
rch-tech
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2001 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure which version I have...(it currently at my sisters in Ohio, keep forgetting the blasted thing)
Anyway if is hasn't changed any its acuatlly a flourescent PINK color...blech...

Should be easy to spot though...
mistrad37

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2002 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with Quad C. The four books he mentioned offer the most technical studies and lip exercise. I have a daily routine that involves all four of these books.
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2002 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have any thoughts on the updated version of Arban with the Maurice Andre info? I haven't seen it yet and would like to know what benefits that new info might have.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2002 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have any thoughts on the updated version of Arban with the Maurice Andre info? I haven't seen it yet and would like to know what benefits that new info might have.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2002 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine's probably pretty old. It wan edited by Edwin Franko Goldman and Walter M. Smith. It has a price of 5.00 printed on the cover. I don't think the basic book has changed in years. Copyright says 1936. It is a must for any trumpet library. Definately get an edition.

Philip S.
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2002 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the next to most recent edition. I think it was edited in the 1980's. Probably the one that most people have, edited by Claude Gordon. Oddly enough, my trumpet teacher doesn't teach out of it.

Does anyone out there have the Alfred Publishing version? JW Pepper says it has "most" of the original material and has been reingraved for a cleaner look. It's also about $10 cheaper.

David Oulton
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2002 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My book is labelled:"
Arban-Clarke Method for Cornet and Trumpet Revised and Corrected by Herbert L. Clarke." "Complete Edition" in small print. Published by Cundy-Bettoney Co. Copyright 1930 renewed 1958.

What did Clarke "Correct"? And what have subsequent editions "changed" if anything?

David

edit:
ok, I looked in the preface... Clarke says he was correcting/"indicating proper Metronome Tempi and using expression marks with proper articulations." The text on top of his notes reads The Arban-Clarke Revised Edition for the Cornet and Trumpet.
A rose by any other name... :grin:

[ This Message was edited by: David Oulton on 2002-01-25 22:57 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: