• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Berigan transcription for "Marie"??????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScottA
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody know where I can find a transcription of Bunny Berigan's solo on the Tommy Dorsey recording of "Marie"?

I have a friend who has been begging me for it and I just don't have the time. Not helping matters is the fact that the recording I have starts off a little high and slowly comes down to the proper pitch center!! I knew that first phrase wouldn't have been in E!!!

Thanks for any help!

Scott
badebop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a copy of the solo and would be glad to send it to you. email me.

Tom
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played on the Tommy Dorsey Orchestra last year, and they have that solo harmonized for all four trumpets.

No, it is not in E, it's in concert E-flat (it modulates right there). That makes the first note your F above the high-school high C.

Hey, I have the 3rd part memorized . . . if anybody else knows the 2nd and 4th parts we could all send them to you and you'd have it just like the present-day Dorsey orchestra arrangement!!!

Incidentally, the arrangements in that book are some of the finest big band writing I've ever had the privilege of playing (no, I've never played in the Count Basie Orchestra, but I can dream, can't I?) . . . what a joy playing great arrangements with a great band. Too bad that doesn't happen very often for me much these days. "This, too, shall pass."

Rich
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is good to "spice up" old solos. I used to play in a big band and on "In The Mood" the whole trumpet section would play the 2nd trumpet solo and the lead player would play the solo up an octave. That brought back some excitement to an overdone solo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: