• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Which Horn to Use?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Which Horn to Use? Reply with quote

Here's a question from the "probably overthinking things" department ...

Background: I do most of my playing on a Bb, but I decided earlier this week to pull out my C and do a prelude this Sunday with it. Of course, to stand a chance of pulling this off, I need to do more playing on the C than I usually do (especially since the C gets a lot of "case time").

One of the things I decided to do was play the Stamp exercises on the C this week -- they're paced slowly enough for me to get re-acquainted with the intonation quirks of the C, etc. As I was going through this this evening, it occured to me that the recommendation with some specialized methods (like Caruso) is always to do the "method exercises" on the same horn and mouthpiece -- I've never heard anything like that about Stamp's approach. Since, however, we could write volumes about the stuff I don't know, I put the question to the more knowledgable of you ... Is running the Stamp on my C as part of acclimation to the horn:

a) A good idea,

b) Courting disaster, or

c) Good grief, just play the freakin' horn!
1B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it matters what horn you use. Stamp is all about connecting air to sound and bringing the intervals closer together. I've never heard any of my teachers (all Stamp guys) say anything either way, which leads me to believe it doesn't matter; it's all about playing relaxed. Have fun and quit worrying so much. If it feels right and it's working for you, then it's definitely the right thing to do.
Good luck,
1B
janet842
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Horn to Use? Reply with quote

swthiel wrote:

a) A good idea,
c) Good grief, just play the freakin' horn!

Oooooooh. I love multiple choice. I pick a & c.
swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. I'm an engineering professor, so you can imagine that I occasionally over-think things ...

Anyway, I've been playing the Stamp on the C for the last few days, and I feel more secure on the C now that I ever have!
Chet

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Stamp also on trombone (Stamp is good for all brass instruments). The last edition of Warm-ups and studies has two CD for accompainment in Bb and C.
Lex Grantham
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Which Horn to Play? Reply with quote

I seem to remember being told once that Maurice Andre recommended that a player put all his/her various trumpets (Bb, C, D/Eb, etc) on a table in front and playing the same/similar exercises on each of the various instruments...one after the other. His idea was that the player would be able to stay in better condition for all his/her options. It might seem that the maneuver would take many hours each day, but my understanding was that it was only for a relatively-short period of time each session. The player might still concentrate on whichever instrument was going to be the major concern for any upcoming performance.

Sincerely,

Lex Grantham
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I study with a teacher who studied with Stamp. He always advises me and all of his students to do all their daily warm-up an drills (Stamp studies) on the Bb. For the other keyed horns he's only recommended that I do Clark studies. He's never advised me to do my daily routine on the other keyed horns. His recommendations to me could have to do with the fact that I play the other horns very little. If I played them more it's likely he'd give me more to play on them.
trumpetart
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chet wrote:
I use the Stamp also on trombone (Stamp is good for all brass instruments). The last edition of Warm-ups and studies has two CD for accompainment in Bb and C.

I recently took up french horn, and the Stamp exercises are wonderful exercises for the difficult octave from low C down.
richardwy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C

You'll do well. Let us know how the performance fares.

Happy Practicing,

Richard Oliver
Mzony
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just thought I would share something that ALL of my teachers, some of whom were Stamp disciples, shared with me:
They all advised me to warm up, and do a lot of major fundamental practice on the Bb. The reason they told me that was that the C trumpet and the Bb were very different horns. However, we play the C trumpet so much, that we should keep in touch with the Bb so as not to have our playing get too estranged from the needs of the Bb.
On a personal note, up until recently, I have never been AS comfortable on Bb as on C. Warming up and practing a lot on Bb keeps me in really good shape, (in the past has been) harder than C, and allows me to pick up the Bb on that rare performance situation that I need to play it well.
My attitudes towards the two trumpets have changed significantly, I no longer fear the Bb in performance situations, but I still warm up on Bb. I do think, however that it is important to practice some fundamentals on each of our horns on a daily level...it keeps you honest and fine tuned for any neccessary last minute need to use any horn in your arsenal.
I'm sure this is a bit off topic, but I thought I would throw in my 2 cents...by the time you finish the post those two cents will be worth nothing....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> James Stamp All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: