• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bond film tracks

View previous topic :: View next topic  
highf

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Bond film tracks Reply with quote

Hi folks -
Just found the site - great !! I would like to clarify a couple of things that I have come across in reading your posts - let me explain first that I have been a first-call lead trumpet studio player here in London for the last 40 years or so - check out my website - so musically, I have "been there - done that" - recording with everybody you can name - from Sinatra to Doc Severinsen, Harry James, Hank Mancini, - ( even the Beatles !!) etc. I am STILL doing it, at over 70 years of age - currently I have a weekly TV show and various other recordings, jazz gigs, plus being the bandleader of the Bert Kaempfert Orchestra for the last 13 years. The thing I need to clarify is the question someone asked about the "007" trumpet section on the early James Bond movies - that was Stan Roderick, me , Greg Bowen and Eddie Blair. Stan Roderick was the official lead trumpet but Greg and I did the high stuff that everyone seems to remember. Derek Watkins was NOT involved - Derek came along much later and has done all the LATER Bond movies. As far as I remember, we started the first Bond films in the early 60s, then in 1975 John Barry took the whole orchestra to Japan to promote the latest Bond - doing a six week concert tour - with the trumpet section that I have named above. No problem with Derek - he is a good friend of mine - I just want to put the record straight. The other thing I would like to clarify - Scott Englebrights Maynard recording with the BBC band - I wasnt there, but after the recording Scott and Donny came along to the show " Guys and Dolls" that I happened to be depping in that night.......
- he was very down about it and I felt really sorry for him - his chops were obviously having an off-day - believe me I really know how he can play - fantastic - in fact I sat next to him in the Kenton band at the Los Angeles Jazz Institute big band event in May last year - ( Carl Saunders asked me to dep for him on a Kenton rehearsal) - and he was absolutely fine. So how about leaving the guy alone - we all have those days when the trumpet is your worst enemy !! I am sure he is firing on all cylinders now.
Cheers from rainy London -
Tony Fisher.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please don't take this the wrong way, but your posts would be a lot easier to read with some white space to break up the huge block of text.

Welcome aboard, we can use more people who have "been there and done that". (I don't inlcude myself in that category, my life took another path where music was secondary)
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings Tony

I have been lucky enough to hear Tony play on a number of occasions - I think the simple way to describe what has been heard is "he has chops!"

Tony - more stories would be great
Babystrad
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Bond film tracks Reply with quote

"The thing I need to clarify is the question someone asked about the "007" trumpet section on the early James Bond movies - that was Stan Roderick, me , Greg Bowen and Eddie Blair. "

Hi Tony,

It's great to have you here.

I have posted a few mont ago a thread regarding Eddie Blair. I wanted to know if anyone here had the opportunity to share the bandstand with him. Well now...

Welcome to the trumpet herald trumpeter community.

Best regards,

Jm
TrpPro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Bond film tracks Reply with quote

highf wrote:
plus being the bandleader of the Bert Kaempfert Orchestra for the last 13 years.

So do you get to play all those fun solos? Does the Kaempfert orchestra still do a lot of dates and whatever became of Charlie Tabor and Fred Moch?

Thanks for all the great Bond info!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: