• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Maria Schneider

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChopsMcgraw
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2002 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have any of you heard any of this woman's charts? They are incredible. If you thought Thad Jones wrote close harmonies, wait until you hear some of this stuff. I think Ingrid Jensen? is one of her players as well, don't know the whole cast cause I'm too cheap to buy the CD (gotta love burners). Check it out, good stuff, definitely not the same old big band songs.

ChopsMcgraw
trumpetguy99
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2002 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Tim Hagans is on some of them, and Greg Gisbert (or Gisborn I can never remember his name. Great writting and great solos, Evanesance is probably my favorite.
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maria is an amazing, talented, beautiful lady who (IMHOP) is probably the very best of all composer/arrangers of the baby boomer generation. Her band is phenomenal and always features the very best New York players. Her trumpet section these days usually has Tony Kadleck (sp?), Laurie Frink, Greg Gisbert, and Ingrid Jensen. Hagans was an earlier member and is on some of the recordings.

Maria is very influenced by Gil Evans (When she first moved to NYC she was his copyist/orchestrator). She uses lots of interesting woodwind doubles in the saxes (including bass sax and some double reeds!) and makes judicious use of contemporary electronics and modern (non-jazz) guitar effects.

Very heavy music!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Recordings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: