• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

thread titles get cut off for some reason although they fit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> trumpetherald.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_TrumpeT_
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: thread titles get cut off for some reason although they fit Reply with quote

in the box. Why does this happen?
amazingmoris
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: thread titles get cut off for some reason although they Reply with quote

_TrumpeT_ wrote:

When you first type the words into your screen, the letters are cold.
When you press "submit", those words travel through millions of miles of wires encountering electron friction and heating as they pass through those wires.
So by the time those words get to the computer server those words have become heated and swollen and they no longer fit in the box.
Like putting a marshmallow in a microwave and heating it for 2 minutes so that it swells up.

- morris
swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: 123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890 Reply with quote

I believe the "Subject" field for each thread has a limited number of characters. (The subject field in a response appears to be limited to 60 characters.) Characters are truncated from titles longer than the maximum length.
StevenPSparks
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: thread titles get cut off for some reason although they Reply with quote

amazingmoris wrote:
_TrumpeT_ wrote:

When you press "submit", those words travel through millions of miles of wires encountering electron friction and heating as they pass through those wires.
So by the time those words get to the computer server those words have become heated and swollen and they no longer fit in the box.
Like putting a marshmallow in a microwave and heating it for 2 minutes so that it swells up.

- morris

That was helpful....

"I'm older now, so don't be a blowhard"
¦\___oTTT_____
¦/ (__o¦¦¦o__)
amazingmoris
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: thread titles get cut off for some reason although they Reply with quote

StevenPSparks wrote:
amazingmoris wrote:
_TrumpeT_ wrote:

- morris

That was helpful....

You're welcome

- morris
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: 12345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456 Reply with quote

swthiel wrote:
I believe the "Subject" field for each thread has a limited number of characters. (The subject field in a response appears to be limited to 60 characters.) Characters are truncated from titles longer than the maximum length.

Although I seldom agree with Thiel, around "here"; ... I would opine this is probably the most logical explanation posted.

Yogi Robt

I miss Genghis Khan ....
healey.cj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by healey.cj on Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:27 am; edited 1 time in total
janet842
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: thread titles get cut off for some reason although they Reply with quote

amazingmoris wrote:

Good one! ROFL!
amazingmoris
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: thread titles get cut off for some reason although they Reply with quote

StevenPSparks wrote:
amazingmoris wrote:
_TrumpeT_ wrote:

- morris

That was helpful....

OK, OK, here is the kind of answer an egg-head geek would give:

When you want to post something and click the appropriate button on your screen, a dialogue box opens up on your screen.
The things you type onto the screen are stored in *temporary* fields.
For example, the headline you type into the screen is temporarily stored in a headline field that is X characters long, with X being however many characters long the programmer of that software randomly chose it to be.

When you finish typing everything into the various fields of the dialogue box, you click "send" or whatever and the info you typed in is sent via e-mail to the Trumpet Herald server.
At the server the info that is stored in the temporary fields of the e-mail are transferred into the permanent fields of the server.
The headline that was temporarily stored in the e-mail headline field is transferred to the permament headline filed of the server.
But the programmer might have designated that the server headline field be Y characters long instead of X characters long (either the programmer was being inconsistent, or the two parts of the software were written by 2 different software writers, or the *apparent* size of the server headline field is floating / variable depending upon what other things might be crowding it on the poster's computer screen).
If the temporary headline field in the dialogue box is 60 characters long (to choose a number at random), but the permanent headline field in the Trumpet Herald server is only 45 characters long (to choose another number at random), then the final 15 characters of the headline will be truncated (end chopped off) when the headline is transferred from the temporary field to the permanent field.

Analogy:
When you buy groceries at the store, your groceries might fit into the paper bag perfectly.
But that paper bag is merely a temporary holding device for transporting the groceries.
When you get home you transfer the groceries from the paper bag to the kitchen shelf, from temporary holder to permanent holder.
But the groceries don't all fit on the kitchen shelf, because the paper bag has greater capacity than kitchen shelf, because the person who designed the paper bag never bothered to consult with the person who designed the kitchen shelf.

- morris, reluctant egg-head geek
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhat abstruse; syllabus, please.

Yogi Robt

I miss Genghis Khan ....
amazingmoris
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert Rowe wrote:

Yogi Robt

Only students who have paid tuition get a syllabus.

And your comment about "abstruse" shows that you need to take the placement exam to see if you need to take the remedial class before you take the 101 class.
I can't slow down the entire 101 class for just one student

- morris
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingmoris wrote:
Robert Rowe wrote:

Yogi Robt

And your comment about "abstruse" shows that you need to take the placement exam to see if you need to take the remedial class before you take the 101 class.

- morris

I am at 700 and 800 level. ... .

"Life is good ... but, too short".

Yogi Robt

I miss Genghis Khan ....
swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Subject Fields 101 Reply with quote

In the TH implementation of the forum software (phpBB 2.0), the "Subject" field is limited to 60 characters. I verified this by looking at the source HTML for the posting form. I also tested this in Firefox 2.0, Netscape 7.2, and IE 7.0 running Windows XP Pro -- none of these browsers would allow me to enter more than 60 characters into the "Subject" field. If you are able to type more than this in the "Subject" field, I suspect that your browser is not enforcing the field length specification.

I suspect we agree more than you think we do. We just don't take much effort to discuss our points of agreement.
amazingmoris
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert Rowe wrote:
amazingmoris wrote:
Robert Rowe wrote:

Yogi Robt

- morris

I am at 700 and 800 level. ... .

Your previous credits at "Clyde's School of Therapeutic Massage" are not transferable to our school.

Quote:

"Life is good ... but, too short".

A surgeon could fix that.

- morris
cameron24reeves

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very helpful! Thank you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> trumpetherald.com All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: