• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Who is the best collegiate trumpet teacher in the country

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
priceo93

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Who is the best collegiate trumpet teacher in the country Reply with quote

I will be in the market for college eventually and I just want to know who the best trumpet teacher is and what college they teach at.
blasticore
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Best" is subjective, and anyone who gives you a specific name has a biased opinion.
Hack001
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Who is the best collegiate trumpet teacher in the countr Reply with quote

priceo93 wrote:
I will be in the market for college eventually and I just want to know who the best trumpet teacher is and what college they teach at.

Eventually, I will be in the market for colleges. I just want to know who the best trumpet teacher is, and at what college he or she teaches .

See me after class.

Last edited by Hack001 on Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
A.N.A.Mendez
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Hickmeister" Of course! ASU

☛ "No matter how cynical you get, it's never enough to keep up" Lily Tomlin☚
ThisGoesToEleven
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not a well known school, but the college of st. rose has dennis johnston. played with cleveland, the army band, albany symphony, etc.
can do it all, legit, lead, jazz solo, the man's 60 and can still rip. one of the nicest people i've ever met or worked with too.

Currently on a mouthpiece safari.
Eggtracy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess this is somewhat related, what institutions in the Boston area have reputable trumpet teachers. I'm mostly interested in hearing about NEC. I'm not planning on going to college for trumpet, I'm going for composition instead but, I figured I'd like to have a good trumpet instructor about to help me to continue to improve.

H.N. White Liberty Bb/A Trumpet
F.E. Olds Special Bb Trumpet
Wedge/Bach 7C
Wedge/Curry 1.25C
King 602 Bb Cornet
King Master Bb Cornet
Curry 1.25VC
rubberduckie
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Who is the best collegiate trumpet teacher in the countr Reply with quote

priceo93 wrote:

It really depends on what you are going to school for: Jazz, classical, music ed?
jazztrumpet216
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to be more specific with your question. Do you want to focus on jazz or classical? Do you want to study with a soloist or an orchestral musician? Is it more important to you to study with a good pedagogue, or would you rather study with someone who is an extremely active performer? Are you looking for a small school or a larger school? If you go to a larger school, is it OK with you to study with a teaching assistant for a year or two before you actually get to study with the professor?

These things are all factors you should consider before asking for advice like this. Answer a few of these questions and then we might be able to give you a few suggestions.

1940 NY Bach 7/37 — 2009 Bach Philadelphia C — 1972 Bach 37/Melk #3 — 1969 Yamaha 734 — 1961 Mt. Vernon Bach 43 — 2013 Schilke P5-4 B/G — 1990's Getzen Eterna flugel
VM Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the most ideal ways to quantify "best" in this topic is by how many students they turn out that get jobs fairly quickly after leaving the university/conservatory (this pertains to the orchestral student). I think that by this standard, one of, if not the best choices would be Barbara Butler and Charles Geyer at Northwestern. Kids come out there just straight-up able to play!

The two most recent and strongest examples of their product would have to be Matt Muckey of the NY Phil and Chris Martin of the CSO.

-VM
Kanstul BMV 1 1/2C/10, W3S/RZR, Yamaha 11B4
jpetrocelli
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to NEC and studied with Charlie and then Ben. I would highly suggest it to anyone. Amazing experience...
Eggtracy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpetrocelli wrote:
I went to NEC and studied with Charlie and then Ben. I would highly suggest it to anyone. Amazing experience...

I figured that the guys there would be great, hopefully I'll have a chance to meet them when I'm in the area next month. Thanks Joe.

H.N. White Liberty Bb/A Trumpet
F.E. Olds Special Bb Trumpet
Wedge/Bach 7C
Wedge/Curry 1.25C
King 602 Bb Cornet
King Master Bb Cornet
Curry 1.25VC
j_walburn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course I am biased, but the studio here at the University of Illinois is pretty hard to top. Michael Ewald and Ronald Romm...plus Tito Carrillo doing jazz. They are all outstanding teachers and players.
Edinburg, TX
j_walburn@yahoo.com
(217) 418-9411
bugleboi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blasticore wrote:
"Best" is subjective, and anyone who gives you a specific name has a biased opinion.

I agree.....it sounds the same as who is the best (subject) teacher? Very subjective based on personal experiences.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ricetrpt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very complex question. As you can probably tell by my username, I may be somewhat biased. Also, it is important to know what kind of player you wish to be. Some schools are mainly orchestrally oriented (i.e. Rice, Northwestern, Cleveland). Other schools, like North Texas, are known for Jazz. I can only speak about the orchestral schools, and in that regard, I think it is important to look at the school as a whole, and not just the trumpet faculty.

That being said, it is impossible not to mention Northwestern. Though not known for the orchestra, it is known for the trumpet players. That comes from the Charlie Geyer and Barbara Butler. Also, Cleveland Institute boasts a trumpet faculty of Mike Sachs and Bob Sullivan. (Hard to miss with those two teaching). I would be remiss if I did not put in a plug for Rice (my alma mater). Marie Speziale is a great teacher and the orchestra is second to none. I would also consider the fact that Jim Wilt is now the trumpet professor at Colburn, and oh yeah, Julliard has some good teachers too. I have taken lessons with Ben Wright and learned a ton from him. So, I must include NEC in this list.

I think the most important fact is that it doesn't depend so much on where you go, as it does on your chemistry with the teacher. There have been many great players that didn't go to well known schools. You will get out what you put in. Find the place that fits you and your desires the best, and you will figure out how to blossom there.
John Kreese
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He good.
rubberduckie
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugleboi wrote:
blasticore wrote:

I agree.....it sounds the same as who is the best (subject) teacher? Very subjective based on personal experiences.

Your teacher is only as good as you practice
Musicianotrumpeter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too many to mention but Richard Stoelzel and Bill Lucas got it going on. Good concepts of how to play. They make music, not noise.
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rubberduckie wrote:

Your teacher is only as good as you practice

Unless all he ever does is hand you literature that's beyond your level and never helps you to develop the skills needed to play that liturature.

Find someone that will help you develop the skills necessary to play the entire trumpet. It's one thing to learn to play Arutunian, but it's something else to develop a complete multiple tongue that you can transfer to any literature.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
holeypants
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Phil Collins interview in the March 2007 ITG:

"When I told Mel Broiles that I would be enrolling at Eastman, he said, 'Well, it doesn't really matter where you go, it's just how hard you work.'"

It is important to choose a school where you feel comfortable, of course, but what a great message!
Ryan184
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

has nobody mentioned indiana yet?
we have three great teachers in Joey Tartell, Ed Cord and John Rommel plus the added bonus of having Pat Harbison on faculty.
needless to say, if you haven't checked out indiana you owe it to yourself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: