• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Need info on Purchasing beginners trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ktwymore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:54 am    Post subject: Need info on Purchasing beginners trumpet Reply with quote

I need to purchase a beginners trumpet for a 12 year old. I was going to purchase a used Bach TR300 for approx $375 from trumpet4u.com when I found on the BACH website a Bach Prelude TR701 made by Conn-Selmer with the Bach name on it. I have found this trumpet on numerous websites for $229 new W/ case. Can anyone tell me if this is a suitable trumpet? I believe in the saying you get what you pay for and I would like to get the advice of those in the know.
amazingmoris
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Need info on Purchasing beginners trumpet Reply with quote

ktwymore wrote:
I need to purchase a beginners trumpet for a 12 year old. I was going to purchase a used Bach TR300 for approx $375 from trumpet4u.com when I found on the BACH website a Bach Prelude TR701 made by Conn-Selmer with the Bach name on it. I have found this trumpet on numerous websites for $229 new W/ case. Can anyone tell me if this is a suitable trumpet? I believe in the saying you get what you pay for and I would like to get the advice of those in the know.

You should be able to find a Bach 300 in good condition for $250 from private individuals (many for sale in that price range on eBay), and it is one of the most popular models among Junior High and Senior High students.
I am not familar with the Bach TR701, but new for $229 sounds like a very cheap trumpet not worth buying, similar to a Bundy.

Some of the Bach 300's presently for sale on eBay:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=unknown&sbrftog=1&catref=C5&saaff=afdefault&sorefinesearch=1&fcl=3&frpp=50&from=R10&saslop=1&satitle=tr300&sacat=41399%26catref%3DC6&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=40220&sabfmts=1&saobfmts=insif&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search&fgtp=

- morris
chopissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but I find that the TR300 is one of the worst beginner trumpet around! Especially when bought used, I know no one who enjoys her/his TR300... And that plastic 3rd slide stop is really bad...

Don't get fooled by the "Bach" name on the low-end trumpets. It's just a marking! A TR300 has nothing to do with a "real" Bach.

I think you would be better with a Yamaha 2335. New or used.
'68 Conn Director (still going strong!)

Playing "bop" is like playing Scrabble with all the vowels missing.
-- Duke Ellington
Richard A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Need info on Purchasing beginners trumpet Reply with quote

ktwymore wrote:

For an excellent discussion on this topic, see
http://www.dallasmusic.org/gearhead/Student%20trumpets.html
rolling360
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: new Reply with quote

Ok, here we go again.

BUY A GETZEN!!!!!!!!!!BUY A GETZEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!BUY A GETZEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mffan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: horn for beginner Reply with quote

I would recommend a Barrington trumpet, Taiwanese, either Rose Brass or silver. Excellent instrument and I have been playing over 50 yrs. Heavy metal and quality construction and playing qualities. Not to promote WWBW, but I bought mine a couple of months ago in the clearance section. Now the whole kit is $145, free shipping for the brass. I only paid $125. One of best bargains I have ever made. Read the reviews on the page, 2 of mine there.
Dave
55-60 Besson 8-10 trumpet
57 Besson 8-10 cornet
vintage Gretsch pathfinder, of undetermined origin
2007 Barrington

www.kalamazooconcertband.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Pastor Joe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: new Reply with quote

rolling360 wrote:
Ok, here we go again.

BUY A GETZEN!!!!!!!!!!BUY A GETZEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!BUY A GETZEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And again...

BUY A GETZEN!

Getzen 3001MV
Jupiter 846RL Flugel
Getzen Eterna Cornet
ktwymore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all so much for your help and recommendations. I really do appreciate it!!!
Smokin Joe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And again.

GETZEN
krax
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, lot's of Yamaha praise in that linked article. Ok, it is a safe buy but I actually think that the Yamaha 1135 is more fun to play than the 2335... Have not touched a Getzen (rather uncommon in Europe) but they can not be worse than a Bach 300 or those Yammies and all people give them praise so go for them or a used olds.

But if you accidently stumble upon a german K&H Roxy, take it!!!
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: horn for beginner Reply with quote

mffan wrote:
I would recommend a Barrington trumpet, Taiwanese, either Rose Brass or silver. Excellent instrument and I have been playing over 50 yrs. Heavy metal and quality construction and playing qualities. Not to promote WWBW, but I bought mine a couple of months ago in the clearance section. Now the whole kit is $145, free shipping for the brass. I only paid $125. One of best bargains I have ever made. Read the reviews on the page, 2 of mine there.
Dave
55-60 Besson 8-10 trumpet
57 Besson 8-10 cornet
vintage Gretsch pathfinder, of undetermined origin
2007 Barrington

I have to say, the Barrington is a very impressive trumpet for the money. One made the rounds among a few of the folks in the pops band, and everyone commented about the nice sound, easy playing, and solid construction. Time will tell if it has staying power, and in all honesty the reason we all got to test it was because 2 braces had come unsoldered, and my repair tech friend had done the repairs. Still in all, a very nice beginner trumpet, with decent valves.

Having said that, a new Getzen 390 or 490 will last your beginner through to high school, and would command a decent resale price. If one of my kids were in the same situation, it would be my first choice.
ktwymore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK...It looks like the Getzen is getting a big push. I found a new Getzen 390 w/ case at musiciansfriend.com for $549. Does this sound like a deal, or do I need to look more? thanks...
rolling360
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: new Reply with quote

Consider this thread closed! BUY A GGGGGEEEEEEETTTTZZZZEEENNN!

Thanks and have a great day!
alanjblack

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ktwymore wrote:
OK...It looks like the Getzen is getting a big push. I found a new Getzen 390 w/ case at musiciansfriend.com for $549. Does this sound like a deal, or do I need to look more? thanks...

They cost the equivalent of $815 here in Moscow - that price looks pretty good to me
Pastor Joe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ktwymore wrote:

Looks like a good deal. WWBW.COM sells them for $690.00[/url]http://www.wwbw.com/Getzen-390-Series-Student-Bb-Trumpet-i24089.music[url] [/url]

Getzen 3001MV
Jupiter 846RL Flugel
Getzen Eterna Cornet
mffan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:13 am    Post subject: beginner trumpets Reply with quote

Thanks to PLP for his comments. I had begun to feel like an iconoclastic nut for liking the Barrington so much. My Bessons and Gretsch play very well, also. Using the Gretsch on a swing band gig tomorrow. It is very easy to play and easy on the lungs, also. Having been a thrift shop and garage sale bargain addict for many years, I get a thrill out of finding what I consider to be a good deal, not being a professional player, the Barrington works well for me and is certainly worth the $125 I paid for it. No braces have come apart yet, but I treat it gently. Can always sell it when the student buying season arrives. No doubt the Getzen is a better horn in the under $1000 range. There are many decent "student" instruments out there these days, plus a plethora of Olds Ambassadors, etc. on Ebay, which is where I got my old ones very reasonably. We'll see how the Barrington holds up thru the next concert band season.

www.kalamazooconcertband.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
richardwy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: Need info on Purchasing beginners trumpet Reply with quote

ktwymore wrote:
I need to purchase a beginners trumpet for a 12 year old.

Why is renting undesireable?

It's less expensive, and over a couple months it can be discovered if the youngster will stick with it once the "newness" has passed.

Also, I'm all for Getzen too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Capri-590-Trumpet-by-Getzen_W0QQitemZ150138187633QQihZ005QQcategoryZ16214QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

A Capri on Ebay right now. 10 hours left. $100. Bid $225 and maybe she's yours. I've nothing to do with the horn or seller. I just took a peek at Ebay.

Or . . .

A YTR 232 for $26 with 3 hours left??? Btw, I did get a Getzen 300 for $25 on Ebay that was quite beat up and would have been more than suitable for a beginning trumpet student.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: