• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Who is the best collegiate trumpet teacher in the country

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
R.A.S.
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, an unavoidably biased answer: Manny Laureano, MN Orchestra
(You can study with him personally, and there are a ton of other good teachers in Minneapolis/St. Paul. David Baldwin and Gary Bordner at the U of M, MN Orchestra and St. Paul Chamber Orchestra "section" players, former MN Orchesta players who are still in town, ......)

Unbiased? Get your degrees at someplace solid, then go to different cities just to study with other great teachers.
cdaigle
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great topic, YES....you will get great answers to your question, but to put a button on who the "best collegiate teacher" is not going to get you an ultimate answer on this discussion board...
You need to consider what career you are going after first, get a list of schools that would/could bounce you into a beneficial career that you invision...and go....Im not a usual poster on this subject, however I will second jwalburn's post...University of Illinois has an extremely diversified program in music. I would love to be more candid (pm me)(btw thats not a bad thing)....As far as the tpt studio is..its extremely deep and diverse. Jake had an excellent point in who teaches here...Ron Romm, Mike Ewald, and Tito Carillo...not too shabby....
Ive loved the two years Ive been here and cant wait to get to Tempe!
Chad Daigle
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

LOTS of questions for you . . . since you've expressed a desire to go to the top schools.

Lots of kids think the world loves 'em like their parents and friends, and that doors will just fly open for them. This is not true!

It is a two-way street when high school musicians begin looking at the top schools . . . for those schools are also doing their best to ONLY recruit the top high school stars to perpetuate that hard-earned reputation via graduating incredible young talent from their college!

A degree, WITH HIGH HONORS, is a real "ticket" for a young musician graduating from the top music colleges, so many of the very top high school musicians vie extremely hard to earn a full scholarship to these schools by putting in several years of very serious study during high school with a top, college-level instructor!

Your questions makes me think that you may possibly not already be studying seriously with a college-level instructor. If not, I hope you still have a few years to go before college and I encourage you to immediately persue that route if you want to excel!

Why?

Because these instructors will refine your sound and your style so you can make the top chairs in your all-state bands . . . and prepare you to be a couple of years ahead of other prospective college students who will be vieing to take that full scholarship away from YOU when you audition for college.

Sure, many really good schools accept extra trumpeters after their full scholarships are passed out, but you are sort of like a "walk-on" football player . . . you come in with no one knowing who you are and no one expecting much out of you. You want to enter at the TOP of their "prospects," at a higher level of preparation . . . and THEN work your butt off to stay ahead all the way to graduation and beyond!!!

A top instructor can prepare you for the level of competition you will face for the coveted few spots in the top schools. They'll be teaching you the correct repertoire . . . how to play it with the right style, how to practice, how to audition, etc.

Without this type preparation it is very, very hard to land a scholarship at a top school, no matter what your level of raw talent is.

IF you have been doing this then you would already know some of the other questions to ask . . . and also be in a better position for your teacher to guide you to a school where your personality and preferences would be a great match with a fantastic teacher/mentor.

I strongly suggest you hook up with a top teacher now, even if you are a rising senior in high school. Time's a wastin,' and there are zillions of trumpet music major wannabes desiring to make some sort of music their career. You've got to prepare yourself to be able to meet their competition, with excellence!

Even if you don't live too near a major college with a top instructor, see if your parents/guardians can take you to regular lessons at the college.

Since you asked what the best schools are . . . you need to prepare yourself for what the best schools will be looking for . . . for they are also looking only for the best. It's a two-way street.

I hope this helps. I hope you are already preparing yourself really hard. If not, get to work . . . and you can have a very fine future!

T.
tastoll
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An honest apprasial (I'm not really bitter)....colleges are businesses, despite what we would like to think about them being these nuturing, altruistic institutions of academia, its (many times) all about what you can do for them. Great performers that go on to distinguished careers look awfully good on the recruiting brochure! Ever wonder why Wynton is listed as a Julliard Alumni after only 1 year of study? A degree in performance is not that dissimilar to a degree in English Lit..."oh, you have a dgegree? good for you, now what?" The Institution is not going to help you get a job, a few (Julliard, Eastman, ect..) will have better contacts and open a few doors, and a "nationally known teacher" will have some (or a lot of..) hook ups... but the bottom line is your playing, work ethic, desire and connection to the teacher. I have students at almost every major music school in America, and many of them come away disillusioned in the quality of instruction, level of the ensembles, and general vibe,...having a internationally known soloist on the faculty doesn't guarantee you they will be a great teacher... or a great conductor, or even around half of the time, etc...soooooo, as stated in the previous posts, study RIGHT NOW with someone who will kick your ass into shape, take some auditions, and better yet, set up lessons with the teachers at the schools you are interested in and see how it "fits"...my Grad school experience sucked (at a major conservatory) because I didn't do my homework and chose a school near a steady gig I had (..and a beautiful girl, I will admit...) there are phenomenal players coming from lots of smaller schools, and the big schools are still "crankin' em out" ..good luck, turn off your computer, and go practice.
...oh and my suggestion, (and I'm a Buckeye) University of Michigan-Bill Campbell...
trumpetart
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great posts on this topic from Todd, Tom, and others. Here's my take:

1. You can't judge which teacher is best by looking at how many of their students get great jobs after graduation. That's because the most famous teachers select the very best students, thus continuing to build their reputation. The audition process screens out any potentially "embarassing" students. The best instructor I could imagine would be one who could take a student at any level of talent/skill and help make them a professional.

2. Nobody can say who the best college teacher is, since nobody in the world has gone to more than a few universities. Mainly you have to go off of reputations, which are not the most trustworthy thing (see #1)! A better idea is to try to meet the instructor yourself in person. Most people who loved their college experience will nominate the person that they studied with (as I am about to do ).

3. My personal, highly biased recommendation: Wayne Cameron (www.waynecameron.com). Wayne occasionally posts here as wccameron.
Upstatetpt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I found extended private study with one teacher to do very little for me. You can get the gist of what a teacher's all about in one or two sessions. The rest of the time they're just making sure you're practicing. I read and studied trumpet literature, attended a few master classes, and made most of my progress either on my own in the woodshed figuring out what works for me and what doesn't, or on the job. Any reputable school will have decent faculty with impressive bios. Finding a teacher who inspires you and whom you can relate to on a personal level is just as important as their trumpet chops/resume. A good guide can lead you to the gate, but you have to walk that path on your own.
John Kreese
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best teacher in the country is at the school I went to. I had a great time. It was amazing. I highly suggest it.
AverageJoe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Kreese wrote:
The best teacher in the country is at the school I went to. I had a great time. It was amazing. I highly suggest it.

Who's teaching at Cobra Kai these days?
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Kreese wrote:

Mr. Miyagi is the best teacher in the country. He produces winners from scratch to expert in amazingly short periods of time.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Ryan184
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upstatetpt wrote:
Honestly, I found extended private study with one teacher to do very little for me. You can get the gist of what a teacher's all about in one or two sessions. The rest of the time they're just making sure you're practicing.

Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and disagree with you...

I think with a lot of teachers it is tough to get everything they have to offer out of only a few lessons. I have had a chance to take a few lessons with some really great teachers and I felt like I was only scratching the surface of their knowledge and what they had to offer.

In my experiences, it is also important for the teacher to get an idea of how you play so that (s)he can diagnose you and then help you. This is probably not the case with all teachers.
Personally, I feel like I have benefited a great deal and have improved tremendously over the past two years at Indiana studying with the same teacher.

I'm sure this is a different story for everyone.
EricM224
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree with what Ryan says right above this! I also agree with Mel Broiles when he says it's about your work ethic. Ryan also Mentions Indiana in an earlier post, and they do have an amazing trumpet faculty as well as Mr. Adam right down the street. I am looking at Indiana as my first choice for Grad school right now.

Having said that... Mr. Greg Wing at Morehead State! I'll go ahead and say it's biased! However, Mr. Wing takes a genuine interest in everyone in the studios sucess and studying with him the past four years has made me into the player and person I am today.

The truth is there are many great teachers out there, and you have to seach out the place that fits you best and work your @$$ off!!!!
www.ericsiereveldmusic.com
bugleboi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sometimes not always best lnown teacher may be the best for you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
trumpetart
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upstatetpt wrote:
You can get the gist of what a teacher's all about in one or two sessions. The rest of the time they're just making sure you're practicing.

That's basically the definitionof a bad teacher.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't possibly explain to you how to play the trumpet in two or three sessions. You just aren't that smart.
bs
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm....are we speaking of playing the trumpet or playing music? It has been my experience that many times there is a huge difference.
John Kreese
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:
I couldn't possibly explain to you how to play the trumpet in two or three sessions. You just aren't that smart.

Let us know when your solo CD comes out.
danduncan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ricetrpt wrote:

I think the most important fact is that it doesn't depend so much on where you go, as it does on your chemistry with the teacher. There have been many great players that didn't go to well known schools. You will get out what you put in. Find the place that fits you and your desires the best, and you will figure out how to blossom there.

Excellent advice right there!
brassafire@gmail.com
www.brassafire.com
danduncan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom turner wrote:
I strongly suggest you hook up with a top teacher now, even if you are a rising senior in high school. Time's a wastin,' and there are zillions of trumpet music major wannabes desiring to make some sort of music their career. You've got to prepare yourself to be able to meet their competition, with excellence!

EXCELLENT POINT!
brassafire@gmail.com
www.brassafire.com
KPaultpt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The music world is tough...it's more about a commitment from the individual who decides they want to have a career in such a tough business.

Here are a few thoughts...

I went to school in New York City...

I ended up working with just about every trumpet teacher there because I loved the concept of sound and style they play with. I also really clicked with the teachers.

The students in New York are fantastic...very high level of playing. I was motivated by my classmates to practice and take auditions serious. I really fed off the healthy environment. (The teachers, the program, seeing concerts every week in the city, performing all the time with great students)

New York has so much rich culture. Great opportunities for young players.

I also was able to do a dual degree in case I couldn't cut it on the audition circuit. I did a dual masters program in orchestral performance at manhattan school and a masters in education from columbia university. Luckily I won my job before I finished with the Ed degree (great opportunity but wasn't for me)

I looked for places where I could get the full package. Do NOT compromise
School only happens once and it's your life. The time is really important that you spend in school.
there are opportunities everywhere for people to be in an area they like (with lots of opportunity), with a teacher they like (thats quality), with a degree opportunity that will ensure your success out of school and an education thats affordable.

Don't just think about one variable. This is a competitive business thats declining. Think about going somewhere that will enable you to have a job when your done whether it's performing or teaching. Ensure your own success. This is a very personal choice that you have to make!
SAEUPSTATE

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of great advice. Read and try to digest as much of it as you can. Take a lesson for two with a teacher before you commit to 4 years. I am however biased to the Bill Adam school. I was fortunate to attend his last birthday celebration and spent some time with Greg Wing and his trumpet studio. Greg is a beautiful human being, an outstanding player, a wonderful teacher and very knowledgable. He has something really special going on with his students. The EGO is checked in at the door. All his students support each other and Greg is like the big daddy. He's very nurturing. His students are in the practice room sometimes by 5:30am and nobody complains. The entire studio is motivated and they all sound fabulous. It's a warm and supportive place. Like Mr. Adam, he will help you to rid yourself of fear and be better than you think you can be. I strongly recommend you checking him out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: