• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Advancing age and trumpet playing

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luckymrg

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:33 am    Post subject: Advancing age and trumpet playing Reply with quote

There will come a time in every trumpet players life when he becomes aware that his playing is in decline due to advancing age. Even though he may still be capable of a fine silvery tone quality and a moderate amt. of high register playing of very short duration when fresh, this happy situation is temporary and can deteriorate rapidly. The result is very depressing. Therefore, my question is, is it best to put the trumpet aside at this point or subject oneself to further dissapointment as the decline continues? What age is the limit? ( hint, my birthday was 11/24/27.) Com'on, guys, give it to me straight.! Thanks,

Paul
westview1900
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two words for you. Doc Cheatham. He played into his nineties and his best work was after age seventy.
http://www.paulsen.com/
Stephen Colbert for president
Pastor Joe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out "Rosie" Ross, age 101. http://www.adlercentenarians.org:80/feb07_rosie.htm

Click on the links to the video and commercial, and you'll see him driving himself to his "gig", and still making some sweet music with his horn.

Never give up! (from a youngster of 54)

Getzen 3001MV
Jupiter 846RL Flugel
Getzen Eterna Cornet
Umyoguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think giving up the trumpet would be the worst tragedy. Simply scale back on your expectations and enjoy the simple pleasure of the sound.

Best,

Jon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cheesehead
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DON'T GIVE UP! My trumpet teacher is 85 and has changed my life.
richardwy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you can make folks happy playing a tune. DO IT!

Nursing Homes, parks, churches, family.
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put your question to a friend of mine, an alto player, who's 99. He said, "How old is this guy?" I said I think he's around 80. Nino said "Tell the kid to quit whining and start practicing."

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
GenoValet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Sweets Edison live on his 80th birthday at Jazz Alley, Seattle's premier jazz club (actually the entire NW's). Sure even he'd lost a step or two, but he was having an awfully good time & was visibly moved when we all stood & sang Happy Birthday. For my money, making music for the joy of it should never end & let the critics be d%^&*ed...
hose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know several players who could not tolerate playing less effectively than they did in their youth. Some because their day job or life style interfered with maintenence and some because of age. This is a personal issue. Hopefully, you can continue to enjoy. Much of this comes from attitude. If I go to a lower proficiency community band, I get along better if I park my "professional" attitude at the door. I've found different things to enjoy at different levels of play.

I have recently found that a change of equipment can greatly enhance some deficiencies brought on by age. First my Lawler C7 step bore has made it easier to accomplish the same production with less effort. I have recently found a Karl Hammond mpc that has made my playing much easier. That and an attitude adjustment that says I don't have to strive to play first part helps. It has become more fun and a lot less stress to contribute to an ensemble on third part than star on the 1st part.
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Advancing age and trumpet playing Reply with quote

luckymrg wrote:
There will come a time in every trumpet players life when he becomes aware that his playing is in decline due to advancing age. Even though he may still be capable of a fine silvery tone quality and a moderate amt. of high register playing of very short duration when fresh, this happy situation is temporary and can deteriorate rapidly. The result is very depressing. Therefore, my question is, is it best to put the trumpet aside at this point or subject oneself to further dissapointment as the decline continues? What age is the limit? ( hint, my birthday was 11/24/27.) Com'on, guys, give it to me straight.! Thanks,

Paul

I have a "one word only" answer - "balderdash."

I disagree with the fundamental assumption of this post - that there is an age at which you must stop playing.

I refuse to agree that age is this mandatory decline thing...most age as we know it in this culturewould be better called "rust." I am getting "older;" I am NOT getting "old."

Don't talk to me about age - eventually you will die; until then it's up to you.
mffan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: older players Reply with quote

Very refreshing post on this subject, with suitable encouragements. I am 64 and haven't lost anything yet, but didn't have superior talent anyway! I have kept busy over many years playing in various community bands of various orientations, church (wife is organist) and also singing in choir. Try and keep an optimistic attitude and listen to satisfying music as much as possible. You can contribute and feel useful. In my area there is a senior center dance band, with an eclectic bunch of instruments that is active. At Michigan State Alumni band days, both marching and concert, I have seen many older people progress into 80' and 90's play on, some even marching. We had a clarinet player coming well into his 90's. Just play within your limitations, we can't cheat the timeclock forever, although trying hard to do so is natural.

www.kalamazooconcertband.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: older players Reply with quote

mffan wrote:
Very refreshing post on this subject, with suitable encouragements. I am 64 and haven't lost anything yet, but didn't have superior talent anyway! I have kept busy over many years playing in various community bands of various orientations, church (wife is organist) and also singing in choir. Try and keep an optimistic attitude and listen to satisfying music as much as possible. You can contribute and feel useful. In my area there is a senior center dance band, with an eclectic bunch of instruments that is active. At Michigan State Alumni band days, both marching and concert, I have seen many older people progress into 80' and 90's play on, some even marching. We had a clarinet player coming well into his 90's. Just play within your limitations, we can't cheat the timeclock forever, although trying hard to do so is natural.

And don't forget Eldon R----------
mffan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: older players Reply with quote

Eldon Rosegart, an inspiration for many years, as are his like, sadly the ranks are thinning. Spartan Spirit keeps many going! There is always that next reunion and crummy football game! Go Green!

www.kalamazooconcertband.org
EdMann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My man Thomas Scott of Van Nuys. Still going strong in his mid-70's. Runs, plays tennis, screams lead charts.

Had to post one for my old teach!
70 Bach 37
73 Bach 43
32 Olds Std
42 Olds Super
54 Olds Rcdg
52 Selmer 24A
30 Holton 48 Lleyw
37 Conn 12B
23 Conn 22B
28 King Lib
46 Conn 80A crnt
1960 & 1868 Besson Flugs
60 King 2B bone
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc taught us all how to play as long as we want.
Fleebat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hogwash. Play 'til you kak.

For one thing, trumpet playing doesn't have to be as physically demanding as a lot of people make it. I've always admired the players (of any age) who've found a way to play everything they need to play in a relaxed, easy way. If your playing is done with the kind of effort you'd need as a football lineman, then you'll see that decline.

Styles also make a difference for many. If all you know how to do is play high stuff, and you do it in a way that's overly physically demanding, AND your general fitness declines, you may reach a point where... um... you're sucking.

If, instead, you can improvise, play great stuff in the middle range as well, know a billion tunes, do your best to stay up on current styles and trends, bring something to the table besides mouse sounds, you can play all your life in some style or another.

I'm 51, playing for about seven years again after laying off for more than 20. I play far better, for far longer, with much more range than I ever did as a 21-year-old. Plus there's exponentially more substance in my improvisation and interpretation.

80-year-olds climb Everest. Doc only slowed down this year, and not because he couldn't play anymore. Maynard gigged nearly up to his final days.

Age, schmage. Spend the time playing rather than trying to figure out if you should play.

Rusty Russell
luckymrg

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Advancing age and trumpet playing Reply with quote

I sincerely thank all respondents to my post. You have proven a point, that musicians are a special class of people, and the kindness and thoughtful response from everyone of you has lifted my spirits and made me realize everyone of you is 100% right.! There are countless beautiful lyrical ballads that compliment the majestic silvery tones of the solo trumpet, some easily memorized, and none very difficult. (wer'e not talking the 2nd brandenburg here!) Know what?, I'm going to my practise room subteranian den, where I will lay hold of my trusty xeno, and after a decent warmup, will play an Ave Maria with such lyrical richness, it would probably give you a lump in the throat to hear
it! See what you guys did for me? Many thanks to all,
Paul (luckymrg)
shastastan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Advancing age and trumpet playing Reply with quote

luckymrg wrote:
I sincerely thank all respondents to my post. You have proven a point, that musicians are a special class of people, and the kindness and thoughtful response from everyone of you has lifted my spirits and made me realize everyone of you is 100% right.! There are countless beautiful lyrical ballads that compliment the majestic silvery tones of the solo trumpet, some easily memorized, and none very difficult. (wer'e not talking the 2nd brandenburg here!) Know what?, I'm going to my practise room subteranian den, where I will lay hold of my trusty xeno, and after a decent warmup, will play an Ave Maria with such lyrical richness, it would probably give you a lump in the throat to hear
it! See what you guys did for me? Many thanks to all,
Paul (luckymrg)

That's the spirit, Paul. I'm sure that I'm not as good as you and I started at age 65. Folks at church, retirement homes, hospitals, etc. Enjoy hearing our simple tunes. Since they are simple, we actually sound pretty good. Here's my outlook: God was good enough to give me music and a smidgen of talent to enjoy it; I know that he wants me to share it. That makes me enjoy it even more. Play what you enjoy and go as long as you can. Just my $.04 FWIW

Stan
mpre53
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old's Snooky Young? He has to be pushing 80.
Drizzt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah everyone here has pretty much said it. NEVER quit. If you ask me, Its so inspirational to see seniors play. Seriously!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: