• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Breath more: Jacobs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChopsMcgraw
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2002 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some Arnold Jacobs for ya:

They may sound fruity, but they work.
1) Start with your hands at your sides. Using a metronome, inhale for 8 counts, lifting your hands and arms (palms down) until they meet above your head. Allow your hands ands arms to float down to your side while exhaling through a open mouth. Little or no sound should be heard during this exercise. Your hands should meet above your head at the moment your lungs reach capacity. Don't "cap" the breath. Expand the exercise to 12-24 or even more counts.
2)Capacity- Fill your lungs completely in 4 counts. Hold all of the air for 8 counts, keeping your neck and shoulders relaxed, don't "cap" the breath. Then force more air into your lungs, inhaling forcefully for 2 more counts. Hold again for 8 counts, and force another 2 counts of air into your lungs, exhaling completely after 8 counts. As always tension is the enemy of of expansion, therefore the enemy of air, therefore the enemy of music. Aerobic activity also helps to increase capacity.
3)Inhale deeply, but block the path of air with the back of your hand. After a few seconds of vacuum pressure, release the hand to finish the breath, feeling the air rush into your lungs.
4)Yoga- This is a ratio based exercise, performed like ex. 1. The ratio is 1-2-1. meaning inhale for 1, hold 2, exhale 1. The shorter durations (1-2-1 tears me up) give you a good buzz, the intermediate durations are relaxing, and the longer durations build control.
Jacobs also advocated the use of breathing tubes, which force the throat to remain open. They are made using PVC, (I think around 1.5 inch O.D.) the best length being around 4-5 inches to give a little resistance. You can use the tube in all of the exercises, and Jacobs advocated just spending time with it in your mouth, watching T.V. or whatever.
If you start blacking out during these exercises, sit down, or you WILL end up on the ground, without even knowing it, no matter the physical conditioning you may have.
I noticed an immediate change in my sound after doing just one set of these exercises. According to Jacobs, playing problems should be diagnosed in this order:
Air
Chops
Equipment

Give them a try, they are cheaper than buying new mouthpieces, and will improve your playing. If you want more exercises, let me know, I have a sheet of'em (these were just my favs) and I'll scan it in and e-mail it to whoever.

ChopsMcgraw
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes please...may I have a copy!!

Roddy o-iii<O

"E M B O U C H U R E___E N H A N C E M E N T"
BOOK 1 also... BOOK 2 + demo CD

[Self Analysis and Diagnostic Trumpet Method]
big brian
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by big brian on Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...me three...

You might as well have Dan post it in the Chicago section!
trumpetherald
System Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi:
If you will email me the file at editor@trumpetherald.com I'll link it up from this thread and elsewhere if you need it.

TD
ChopsMcgraw
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, I'm having scanner problems right now, so I'll get it asap-

ChopsMcgraw
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: