• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Need help with volume.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gillestar1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda a novice here to Jazz improv, but I can play what I hear in my head as far as notes go. The problem is that I am do not think of varying volume....( Any recommendations on ways to correct this? Any jazz artists to listen to that are exceptional at this? Any help would be appreciated.....

Kurt
musicmonkey
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that if you really listen to just about any jazz artist, you will hear how they use dynamics. It doesn;t necessarily have to be a trumpet player either, just pick one of your favorites and really listen to how they play, then try to imitate their use of dynamics. After a while, dynamics will become an unconcious habit.

So, listen and imitate (concentrating on dynamics).

nate
Gillestar1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am paying more attention to my volume lately, since I realize it is another tool to make notes into music. I notice that when I improvise to the Radio or CD's, I do vary my volume much more (although I still need to do better) than when I practice. Would it help to pretend you are performing while you practice?? How many of you do that, and do you find that it helps?
musicmonkey
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there are two meanings for 'perform.' Personally, I think it is good to always play as if you have an audience, don't allow mistakes or horrible noises to come out of the end of your horn. That means practice piece up/down an octave, slower, and/or piece by piece. This way, you learn to always play at your best and performaces are less stressful and elss of a change of pace.

But, I don't let my 'audience' effect what I play only how I play it. While you probably won't perform scales or lip slurs for an audience, you should still practice them!

I guess I got a little side-tracked there. I don't really like to purposefully vary dynamics just to impress an audience (real or imagined), just play what you hear, but always play it well. If you don't hear much dynamic contrast, there is no rule that tells you you have to. Just have fun and play what's in your head.

nate
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Speaking a language in conversation, and playing music shares one thing in common.

Some speakers put you to sleep with a boring monotone delivery that never varies in excitement, inflection or volume. Other speakers could take the same speech and make you cheer and cry. Same with musicians . . . some play each note "perfectly" as far as time and pitch goes, but don't vary the volume, inflection and excitement. Others move you to excitement, joy . . . and even tears due to the passion they put into their expressive interpretations.

Think "conversation" and "emotion" when you play a phrase. Try to be expressive in your own way and play with passion. The guitarist Carlos Santana tells people that he tries to play each note as if he is speaking it to a crowd with great passion. Try this. You'll "connect" with your listener more dramatically . . . even if that listener is only you in the practice room.

Dynamics?????? Gosh, if you try what I just wrote . . . I assure you that dynamics will be subconciously a result of your "communications."

Sincerely,

Tom Turner
Gillestar1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about singing a phrase or tune first? Does anyone feel that helps them play with more feeling and variation?
musicmonkey
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like you have some good ideas about how to improve your dynamics, why not try them? Just because they work for somebody here doesn't mean they will work for you. Try singing a phrase first and see how it effects your dynamics -- the point is that you can discover quite through personal experience, so have fun with it!

nate
rafq

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The key for me in using dynamics & inflection in my playing is who I get interms of a rhythm section.....specifically the drummer. Sometimes the Cats just wont let you use dynamics. I tend to play in small places with no horn mikes, so I am so dependent on the rhythm section listening me & my Tenor guy.
Gillestar1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quad C..why do I need to listen to and practice Classical music?? I am not doubting you, but just wondering why....k??

Kurt
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-09-30 15:18 ]
Gillestar1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, David....that makes sense. I will listen to some classical music.....any suggestions? I have Haydn's Trumpet Concerto, Beethovens Symphonies, and some Mozart French Horn pieces....

Kurt
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-09-30 15:19 ]
tritonesub

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tritonesub

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think as far as dynamics go, try to just go with what is already happening in the music. If your rhythm section is playing louder, and the momentum is heading upward, playing a little louder might be the right choice, and vice versa.

I think the perfect trumpet player to listen to is Miles for this concept, because he was the master of nuance. I reccomend listening to the My Funny Valentine, Four and More record. The way he uses dynamics to manipulate the rhythm section is a thing of beauty.
rafq

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent point.........Miles did not put up with sidemen without that sensability.......I'm sure you heard the stoties about Miles telling Monk to lay out during his solos...not that he didn't like Monks playing...he just didn't like what he was doing behind him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: