• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

anyone still here

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Chicago School
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anotherfakewhowantstostir

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you guys close shop or what

no posts for over 2 months
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John and I have been very busy. Of course, there've been a number of "Chicago" posts in other forums, so the word is still getting out...

Too bad the music seems to get lost so often in TH posts.

Thanks for asking! - Don
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys (you know who you are...) Sorry, but there's enough of that elsewhere so I took the liberty of "cleaning house". No offense given or taken!

The comment noting that how busy moderators are should be irrelevant to postings in the forum is a valid one. However, John and I should be able to start and/or spark a "conversation" if things get too dead. That's where our "busy-ness" has crept in, and perhaps prevented this forum from being as active as it should. I do believe that posts elsewhere on TH indicate the Chicago School is alive and well, however.

All the best (music!) - Don

[ This Message was edited by: Don Herman on 2003-04-27 23:14 ]
musicmonkey
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the lack of posting is almost a result of the school itself. The Chicago school, as I understand it, does not focus on one certain approach to or analysis of trumpet playing. Therefore, there isn't AS MUCH common ground to talk about here or as much playing anaylsis to do as in th other dedicated forums.

nate
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nate --

I think the other issue is that this kind of approach doesn't require or benefit from a whole lot of discussion. The concepts are pretty simple and universal; once you understand them, you don't really need the kind of advice you're likely to find here. There's no need for questions like, "I am a type LXIXdd with blue eyes. Which end of the pencil should I hold in my mouth?" (SETTLE DOWN, I'M JUST KIDDING AROUND!) Also, Cichowicz (etc.) has had so many students that anybody who is really interested can find a competent teacher pretty easily, which is not the case with certain other methods. I also think that, by and large, people on this board who buy into the Cichowicz/Jacobs/Adam/etc. approaches have been less active in "recruiting" people to the dedicated forums. Finally, an approach like this which is more about understanding a big concept and applying it conscientiously doesn't seem to lend itself very well to this forum, where most of the discussion tends to be started by questions like, "How do I get better at XYZ?" Since the answer to most questions is the same, there's not a lot of incentive to either ask the questions or answer them.
anotherfakewhowantstostir

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow; suddenly this place is alive and well.
That is great.
Short'n

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short ain't it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Chicago School All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: