• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

School Solo

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2002 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just a funny story. Monday finaly my teacher ask's me what I want to play for solo and ensemble and I tell her I dont know. I said that thinking she would give me the Haydn Trumpet Concerto which I had been practing just like she does with everyone else. But she didn't suggest or give me the Haydn Concerto. Ok know here this out. This director is a french horn player and I'm only a freshman in High School. And listen to her suggestions. First she says why don't I play the Carnival or Venice. The real version of the Arbans book I just looked at her thinking it was a joke. Then she tells me why don't I play the Hummel and I was like shocked she would even assign those hard pieces to me.

Anyways she gave me a copy of the hummel concerto. I did pretty good in the begining and the then later I had some problems with the key signature and the changes but it wasn't a huge problem. Then I got to the rondo part. And I was like WoW. And just put my trumpet away. The next she wants me to look over the carnival of venice so I just get out my Arban's book . I play the begining and some of the first movement. And then I just stopped and said how bout i just play the Haydn like any normal person my age would do.

Can you believe her? Carnival of Venice and the Hummel Trumpet Concerto. Don't agree that that might be too much for a freshman? I mean i know that i have a little technical skill thing going for me. But thats like stuff that people play in college.

Anyways just thought i tell you guys.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2002 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-09-22 18:54 ]
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2002 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My teacher has a video of one of his students, a young lady in HS, playing Carnival of Venice. She does the Clarke version, going up to the F over high C at the end. Her technique is astonishing. I hope I never see it again, as it's just too darn humbling!

Your teacher obviously thinks you are better than all the rest. Find something challenging, then do your best. Slow it down if you have to, re-arrange to suit, but go for it! Why would you want to be like everybody else, especially if you're better than that!?!

Onwards - Don

p.s. You could Trumpeter's Lullaby, or some other "contest" piece, I suppose...
trumpetgeek234
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2002 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, the Haydn is one of the hardest trumpet concertos ever written. Just to get the first three notes sound as they are supposed to be, takes years of practice. (The Berlin Philharmonic are looking for a new solo trumpeter and the audition piece is the Haydn). I think especially Carnival is just technical, but not very musical. Nice to play to show off. I think the Carnival is easier than the Haydn, because once you got the technique, there is nothing to the piece any more. The Hummel is a little different. It is sort of similar to the Haydn (written in the same time period) and it has some of the same aspects in it.
I don't think it would make any difference playing one of the three. Every single one is really hard. Just look for perfecting it. Make every single note sound as it is supposed to be. If it is technical to hard, I wouldn't recommend playing it at all, because then, how will you master the piece? It will only work if the technique is perfect and you don't have to worry about that any more.
Well, just my point of view.
PB
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2002 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe my teacher does think that i would do well in those songs. Or maybe she thinks that I will sound good in them but the fact is that I can not learn those songs in 3 weeks. I have been practicing the Haydn Concerto since last year. And maybe if she would have told me to practice those other songs earlier in the year i might of been able to play them. But i dont think i can learn the song in 3 weeks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
screamertrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2002 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree,
Carnival of Venice is way too hard to learn in three weeks. If your adjudicator has heard Wynton play it, you're in trouble.
Same with the Hummel. It can take years of practice to get the musicallity down from the piece.
Remember this, I learned the NOTES of these songs in:
COV:6-7 months
Haydn: 3 weeks
Hummel: 4 weeks
What about the musicallity? Well, I'm still learning about that.
Maybe your teacher need to have her head examined. That's like a teacher tell a freshman to play a double c. Most of the time, it can't be done.
Trevor

[ This Message was edited by: screamertrumpet on 2002-01-25 15:43 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
sean007r
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2002 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trjeam

How was the solo concert?
What did you play?

I only wish I had a teacher/instructor as a freshman, let alone one that would have pushed me that hard!!!!

If it makes you feel any better...
I just picked up my horn again after 16 years and my new instructor has me working on Carnival, just the first page (p339)
After 3 weeks I can finally play it with confidence.................
at 33bpm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't even want to see the 2nd and 3rd pages!
(_uIII_o__) |
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: