• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Does Valve Oil ever Expire?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
glock
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Does Valve Oil ever Expire? Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm currently using Al Cass but want to get a bottle of Blue Juice just to try it out. Will valve oil ever expire or lose effectiveness?
ConnCoprion
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't think so.......but then again, I wasn't about to use the valve oil that I found in my dad's trumpet case.....back from the mid 60's...

I think you'll like BlueJuice...that's what I use on my horns now....One thing that attracted me to the bluejuice is the fact that they say it inhibits bacteria etc......so they say.......

I wouldn't suggest buying the 8oz. bottle though....everytime I try to add just a drop or two......I get about 10 gallons all over the place.....I need to get an eye dropper....I just haven't yet....
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably not, as long as you keep it sealed tight and away from the light.

I want to find that guy with the old Buescher valve oil bottle, though, and bribe it away from him!

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
Skip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They say: - Yes it does break down. There are posts on the MF forum that speak to "aged" valve oil & it's loss of effectiveness.
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything eventually does, Skip, I don't disagree with that.

I have a 25 year old bottle of Al Cass, though, that still works fine.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
Skip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To quote fom the posts at MF:

"I use Cass "Fast". Since I laid off playing for 20 years, I still had a half a bottle when I started again (on and off) four years ago. Now I've been playing daily for almost two years (21 months, to be exact). My third valve had needed oiling every 3 days or so, depending on the weather. I finally finished the old bottle, and started a new one (same stuff) a few weeks ago. Wow, what a difference! Now, I oil once a week, and pulling the 3rd valve isn't the difficult and somewhat scary chore it had been.

So, I think old oil breaks down in the bottle. I respect Jimmy and his opinions, and would like to read his comments on that topic.

Dave

Dave, thanks for the kind words.
As far as your thinking that "old oil breaks down in the bottle" is concerned the answer is yes. The longevity varies with different oils, but the average would be 2-3 years or so."
Al Guraliuk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Value Oil Reply with quote

I drank some 20 year old Cass Valve oil and thought it tasted a bit "off" compared to the more recent vintage...maybe a bad yearjavascript:emoticon('')
Bb Yamaha Flugelhorn:
Schilke P5-4 Piccolo Trumpet
Besson Sovereign Cornet
Yamaha Eb/D Trumpet
Bach Strad C Trumpet
Benge Bb Pocket Trumpet
WildCat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ConnCoprion wrote:
.....I need to get an eye dropper....I just haven't yet....

Like the Hetman bottles? Eh... I like Hetman's oil plenty, but that eyedropper applicator might've been a bad idea. After opening the bottle a few times, the cap never goes on correctly again. I've had a significant amount of oil leak out into my case as a result. I'd just say make sure you're oiling your valves over the carpet of someone you don't particularly care for.
ConnCoprion
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WildCat wrote:
ConnCoprion wrote:

Like the Hetman bottles? Eh... I like Hetman's oil plenty, but that eyedropper applicator might've been a bad idea. After opening the bottle a few times, the cap never goes on correctly again. I've had a significant amount of oil leak out into my case as a result. I'd just say make sure you're oiling your valves over the carpet of someone you don't particularly care for.

Funny you mention that...I was oiling my Committee's valves on my lap the other day...with that GINORMOUS bottle of Bluejuice...and I had my khaki pants on....and then I thought..."no...this can only end in disaster." I ended up oiling the valves on an old tshirt.... Whew another crisis avoided...
WildCat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ConnCoprion wrote:
WildCat wrote:
ConnCoprion wrote:

Funny you mention that...I was oiling my Committee's valves on my lap the other day...with that GINORMOUS bottle of Bluejuice...and I had my khaki pants on....and then I thought..."no...this can only end in disaster." I ended up oiling the valves on an old tshirt.... Whew another crisis avoided...

My [insert every piece of equipment and related accessory I own here] tends to leak, so I've made it a point to wear dark pants...always. I learned my lesson on a gig when I oiled a horn that I didn't know leaked right before going on stage while wearing well-faded khakis. Fergie and I share a similar gig mishap (though I have a better excuse):

rolling360
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:34 am    Post subject: oil Reply with quote

If you notice in the picture above, she is looking at me sitting in the crowd! hench the wet spot!!!!!!!
rockford
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

My [insert every piece of equipment and related accessory I own here] tends to leak, so I've made it a point to wear dark pants...always. I learned my lesson on a gig when I oiled a horn that I didn't know leaked right before going on stage while wearing well-faded khakis. Fergie and I share a similar gig mishap (though I have a better excuse):

It took some guts to post that picture! You're alright. I'm always messing up white tux shirts while holding the trumpet. Gotta remember to clean out the bottom valve caps more often.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: